PDA

View Full Version : water syphon/bottom cleaner

Alan Flemming
05-17-2006, 03:12 AM
When I syphon water and waste from my bb tanks I think of making something along the lines of a vacuum cleaner head to scrape/clean/remove waste at the same time.I am currently using a rigid pipe on the end of a length of garden hose.
Has anyone got any easier ways to clean the bottom of the tank
Thanks Alan

Timbo
05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
this would be of interest to me as well. i saw a post a long time ago where a chap took 4" of pvc pipe, cut it in half lengthwise, glued the piece onto the end of a 36" piece that was attached to his drain hose. he created a "vacuum cleaner" type head that way. i was always tempted to try it, but have not as yet

Cosmo
05-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I've had the same thoughts while cleaning my BB tanks.. it's amazing someone hasn't come out with a gizmo like this .. made millions, and retired :confused:

I currently syphon using a python tube, then scrape the bottom with a long handled Kent pro scraper while the water continues to drain.

Works, but an all in one device sure would come in handy

Jim

yeomans
05-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I was actually just contemplating a device like this yesterday, it is amazing that someone hasn't developed a product like this, I was thinking about trying to find something that could attach to the bottom of the syphon in order to actually scrub and vacum the bottom of bare tanks. It would be great to see some ideas on designs if any body has bulit something like this before.

MiamiDan
05-17-2006, 11:50 AM
hummmm, just thinking out loud. Idea :) your syphon ends should be a 3/4" pvc pipe. Get a 3/4" pvc "T" and cut in half the top of the "T", making it look like a bulldozer end. Sharpen the end and play with the angle. Glue the modified "T" to the pvc pipe. So with one side, you scrape.,, flip it over & vacum...should work!....off to Home Depot I go.....

Greg Richardson
05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Or buy 3 bushy nose pleco's. Problem solved for scraping bottom.

If u want to drain and clean poop at same time buy the pump from walmart and take off filter. Just move it over the bottom of tank to clean up poop while draining.

If I'm squeezing out sponges that day I clean poop with my regular gravel type hose I use instead and clean sponge in my 5 gallon bucket after filling it from cleanng. The poop goes to the bottom leaving area to clean sponge.

Moon
05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
this would be of interest to me as well. i saw a post a long time ago where a chap took 4" of pvc pipe, cut it in half lengthwise, glued the piece onto the end of a 36" piece that was attached to his drain hose. he created a "vacuum cleaner" type head that way. i was always tempted to try it, but have not as yet

I tried this and it does not work very well. The sucktion area is enlarged and the vacum force is not sufficient to remove the debry. The T joint used to attach the two horizontal pipes raises it slightly and reduces the scraping action.
Joe

Alan Flemming
05-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the idea.I will try that one and see how it goes.
Alan

rtraher
05-19-2006, 08:24 AM
I also got tired of how long it took to vacuum out my bare bottom tanks and when the bottom gets wiped down all the sediment floats around in the water. I made up a vacuum that works really well. Now I can vacuum and wipe down the bare bottom at the same time in seconds. No more stirring up the sediment and it all gets sucked down the drain. The hose that I use is around 1 inch and has great suction. I've attached a couple pictures.

Cheers,
Russel

rtraher
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
another pic

rtraher
05-19-2006, 08:26 AM
last pic

MiamiDan
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Rusell; that looks neat! ...is it a regular vacuum cleaner attachment that you attached to the hose? One of the ends looks like a sprinkler PVC tube?? Please...details..

rtraher
05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I "borrowed" vacuum attachment from one of my vacuum cleaners. The large black pipe and the reducer (which reduces it down to 1") were found in the irrigation section at the hardware store. It certainly makes cleaning the bottom easier and more efficient, especially for messy foods like beef heart mix etc...

Cheers,
Russel

jim_shedden
05-20-2006, 07:30 AM
excellent idea
thanks
jim

Timbo
05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
i like it too. thanks for the post rtraher!

Cosmo
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Great idea :D

yeomans
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Thats a great idea, thanks for posting pics, time to go ''borrow'' a vacum cleaner attachment.