PDA

View Full Version : Layout with more plants

traco
05-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Boy, this is hard (at least it is for me!!) Spent this evening planting some new plants. I just can't seem to achieve what some of you with planted tanks have done.

The right side has java fern on the piece of wood, beside that is a grass type (they didn't know what it was at the pet store), then a Echinodorus Barthii which is a red sword (supposed to get big), then two crypts and last, two plants that look sword like but not supposed to get big.

Left side has the 2 tall onion plants and one of the small swords in the gravel.

I didn't want to keep fiddling tonight as I didn't want to stress out the fish anymore.:p

I can't put my finger on it but it still doesn't flow and I don't know why.:confused:

Again, I welcome all comments good or bad.

traco
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Great, forgot to attach the pics.

traco
05-18-2006, 12:17 AM
one more.

diablocanine
05-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Looks fine! Maybe some water sprite in the back to cover equipment.

traco
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
So, kind of a wall of something tall along the whole back of the tank?

The two separate sides for plants looks fine for balance? I can take the bad with the good for comments.:)

marilyn1998
05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Barb,

Looking good girl! AS it grows taller you will get the look you are trying for.
Keep it up. I like it!!!

AmberC
05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Barb,

Its looking really good to me! But like we were talking about on the phone.. until you get more plants.. and its "fuller" or until stuff really starts growing.. its not going to look quite "right" to you. KWIM? Gotta have some patience hun ;) It'll get there! I think its really looking good the way you have it.. and as you get more.. or propogate what you have and fill it in more it will look awesome!!!

Amber

yeomans
05-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Your tank does look good, a little time to let all of the plants grow and fill out will help. Good luck

traco
05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Aaaah, patience huh?;) I guess so. And I sometimes forget when looking at other people's planted tanks that their's has filled in and grown.

I switched around the big piece of driftwood and will try some cabomba along side the onion plants. And that nice little piece of driftwood on the right, the pleco has decided he wants a house underneath. I woke up this morning to find he had kicked the gravel out from underneath!

I'll put up some pics, again,;) today. Thanks everyone for your comments.

anne
05-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I think it 'll look really good when everything has grown in a bit. I was amazed how fast plants grow, and you don't want to cram them in so much that you can't see any of the properly once they start reaching full size...
How about putting some kind of plain background on the tank to make it look like it's own little world?

pcsb23
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Aaaah, patience huh?;) I guess so.
Wish I could bottle it - I'd make a fortune :)

I switched around the big piece of driftwood and will try some cabomba along side the onion plants.
That should look nice.

And that nice little piece of driftwood on the right, the pleco has decided he wants a house underneath. I woke up this morning to find he had kicked the gravel out from underneath!
They do this :) be grateful you don't have a soil base under the gravel - makes a cloudy tank in one easy go:mad:

Sometimes just putting a few stems around or near to the uplifts, heaters etc can blend them out of the tank. I think this is what DC was referring too, also it can help with the flow across the tank, rather than having 2 distinct sides.

When all said and done it is very subjective, I've seen tanks that others have raved about and I've hated them, and vice versa. So long as you get enjoyment from it is all that matters.

Clay
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Like said above, get some water sprite/wisteria. Grows really fast. If you want certain plants to have a concentration of light, buy some grow lamps and find some way to suspend them above the plant you want to grow.

Are you using any fertilizers?

thebluyak
05-18-2006, 11:05 PM
wow beautiful angels, how big are they do you think? I got a little baby angel, probably about 1.5 inch head to tail and about 2.5 from veil to veil, only had him for about a month

traco
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks, thebluyak. The angels are 8-9 months, roughly. I got them when they were just dime sized. I've got one veil tail and the other is standard tail. They both are very sweet, not snarky like their brothers and sisters were (who were blacks). They are doing well with the discus but I still watch at feeding time to make sure no one is left out of getting enough to eat.