PDA

View Full Version : Max temps for BN plecs?

flavious
05-18-2006, 12:28 AM
I've got a pair of BN's in one of my Discus tanks. I'm currently running the temp at 83.5 but prefer to keep my Discus tanks at 86. Will these guys thrive in that kind of temp. I keep looking online and everything I see is in the low 80's. But i figure if their good Discus tankmates they must be able to withstand the temps right?

nolefan
05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
I have them with my discus and my temp is 86 degrees.

Lee

Bainbridge Mike
05-18-2006, 12:41 AM
There are several species of ancistrus (bushy-nose) plecos and I have not had a problem keeping them in tanks with high temps. I keep my discus tanks between 85 to 88 degrees. As long as you raise the temp a degree or two a day you won't have a problem. Keeping the ancistrus in the tank really cuts down on the maintenance too! Most people think about the algae--but the ancistrus also eat the discus slime that tends to build up on the tank surfaces.

best regards,
Mike

Ed13
05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Temp is not so much of a problem for Loricarids, but Oxygen levels are. They didn't develop the suckermouth to eat algea . The purpose of the mouth is to hold themselves agaisnt the fast current of water from where they come.
As long as there is enough oxygen in the water they will handle higher temps
within reason.