PDA

View Full Version : Silicone wear

playaslk
05-21-2006, 09:10 AM
hey guys (and gals),

I have a 46 bowfront that has been sitting out for a bit with no water in it. I was going to refill it and during my initial inspection, i noticed that some of the silicone began peeling off of the glass. It is somewhat difficult to explain but the seal looks to be good at the point of glass/glass contact, but the part of the glue that is on the glass surface (edge of glue) has separated. In otherwords, the seal is still ok, but the glue has started to come off at the site where glue ends on the front panel. (wow that was like passing a jagged rock through my colon). My question is. is it worth stripping the seal entirely and resealing it? Has anyone had good experience with resealing a tank? im afraid to really fill it and keep it going because 46 gallons of water on the carpet in a rented apt is not something i look forward to. Also, IF i decide to reseal, how do I keep the glass perfectly set so it doesnt come out slanted. If the tank doesnt leak now, do i have to worry?

I know this is alot of questions and somewhat jumbled. Accept my appologies.

David

lhforbes12
05-21-2006, 10:32 AM
David,
You don't need to tear the whole tank apart. Simply run a new bead of silicone over that corner. Actually you probably don't even need to do that. If it were me I would fill it in your bathtub first though to make sure it doesn't leak.

hth,
Larry