PDA

View Full Version : Fish That WIll Be Fine With Discus

metfan581
05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
I would like to start a thread that lists good tank mates for discus:
(Please reply wiht successful mixing ... thanks)

I have had :
- red eyed tetras
- blue rams
- rummy nose tetras
- neon rainbows
with my discus with out any problem

traco
05-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Guppies (but no babies ~ they seem to mysteriously disappear?):)
Apple snails

tpl*co
05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
OK, what I have in my community tank

More discus
Rosaline Shark (Puntius denisonii) mine is supposedly the max it should get at around 5-6"
Blue Rams
Burmese border loaches (Botia Kubotai)

Tina

lhforbes12
05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
LoL Barb!

Clown Loaches (Chromobotia macaranthus)
Cardinal Tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
Rams (Mikrogeophagus ramereizi) Like Barb and Tina
Julie Corys (Corydorus julii)
Loricarids (mainly ancistris and hypostomus)
Blue Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus)
Ottocinclus spp (O. vittatus in my case)

None of them seem to have problems with the heat. I keep my tanks no higher than 84F usually, and they are heavily planted. BB tanks are a different story, with nothing but discus in those tanks.

Dany
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Puntius denisonii (Red-Lined Torpedo Barb)
I find they look great with discus and they grow up to be 6"

Here is a picture i got off the internet:

tpl*co
05-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, that's just a baby :).

Hard to take a picture of Undertow (named after the shark in Little Mermaid II) since he's so dang fast but I tried to take a shot at it, Goliath is in the background and she's no small fish!

Tina

AmberC
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
I have:

longfin danios
longfin serpae tetras
yoyo botia loaches
rummynose tetras
cardinal tetras
rams (gold and blue)
an angel
madagascar rainbow
shrimp (bamboo and amano)
and a longfin bristlenose in my discus tank.

Really there are a lot of options :)
Amber

poconogal
05-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Amber, I'm looking to put in a Bristlenose. I know they are okay with Discus, but they don't present any threat to the Cardinal Tetras, do they? Will they be okay with the little guys, or eat them? Thanks.
Connie

Dany
05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, that's just a baby :).

Hard to take a picture of Undertow (named after the shark in Little Mermaid II) since he's so dang fast but I tried to take a shot at it, Goliath is in the background and she's no small fish!

Tina

tpl*co

I just got my Torpedo barbs for about a week now and the one in the picture that i posted is about the size they are now. It was so hard to get a good picture off, they are fast!!! I just gave up and then i looked for a picture in the internet. Anyways, How big is your? and how long have you had the Torpedo barb?

AmberC
05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Amber, I'm looking to put in a Bristlenose. I know they are okay with Discus, but they don't present any threat to the Cardinal Tetras, do they? Will they be okay with the little guys, or eat them? Thanks.
Connie

I have never heard of them posing a threat to any other fish, except the occasional snack on discus slime. Mine does not bother anyone. She generally just stays under her pot. She comes out when she wants a little something extra to eat tho.. which is during discus feeding time and I drop in some shrimp pellets for her. I'm about to get another one. My lfs has a whole bunch of juvie albino longfins in right now.

Amber

poconogal
05-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Amber, great. I think I will get one or two. My LFS still has a few that he got in November, little guys, about 2 1/2 inch, albinos. No long fins though. They are so cute! Thanks, Connie

tpl*co
05-31-2006, 09:43 AM
tpl*co

I just got my Torpedo barbs for about a week now and the one in the picture that i posted is about the size they are now. It was so hard to get a good picture off, they are fast!!! I just gave up and then i looked for a picture in the internet. Anyways, How big is your? and how long have you had the Torpedo barb?

LOL, of course he doesn't hold still to measure. I put a piece of paper against the tank for referance and I'd say he's/she's 6+ inches. I've had it over 2 years (and originally got undertow about a couple of inches, LOL). Of the fish in that tank, he's/she's the one that gets the instant reaction! People who have seen the baby ones say "I've never seen one that BIG!" LOL :). Of course with him in the tank, no eggs survive though.

Tina

cspengler
05-31-2006, 11:12 AM
I have Apistogramma agassizii & Clown Pleco (Panaque macchus L-162, 104) in with red turks at 83-84 F.

Clay
05-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Bolivian Rams
Apistogramma Borelli

Actually, a lot of the apisto species I've experinced would work with discus.

DON'T FORGET ANGELFISH!

chris allsop
05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
i have had orange fin tetre, brisle nose, and quite a few other plecs.
when i have finally sorted out my display tank i will have a large shoal of cardinals or congo tetre.

metfan581
06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks Guys...
keep it going

Ed13
06-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Catfish:
Zebra plecos
Queen Arabesques L-260
Tiger pleco
Gold Nuggets
Royals
Clown pleco
L-333
Corydoras gossei
C. aneus
C. sterbai
Brochis Splendus
Ancistrus
otocinclus
sunshine pleco

Tetras:
Cardials
glowlight
white
black
serpaes
phamtoms
rummy nose (the best)
Pristellas
emperors
bleeding heart
blk neons
congo
green flame
blue flame(colombian)

Cichlids:
Angels
rams german, bolivian, veil tail angels
Apistos Cacatuoides, viejita, panduro
kribensis

Others:
Blk and brown Knifes
clown loaches
preacox rainbows
Red Irian Rianbows
boesemani rainbows
autralian rainbows
trifasciata raibows
gold white clouds
danios
guppies
Dwarf gouramis

the ones in green mark the species that thrive the most

These have all worked on my tanks or on some customer tanks for a long term period (1 year or more) and with a minimun temp of 82F

There are others that have work to some extent but are not the best choice such as tiger barbs

Andres
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Which ones would do good at 90 degree??

Ed13
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Cardinals
rummy nose
rams
corydoras julii/trilineatus

These have done good at 90F and higher. Not by choice since during summer in the island, one of my planted tanks gets really hot.