PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine Question

PigeonBloodz
06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I bought 3 juvie Tangerines from Cary Strong and 2 of them look how u would expect a Tangerine to look (Solid orangey yellow), but there is a third that has a full pattern all the way through his body. I called Cary and asked him about it and he said something about a F1 cross (a little confused). Does this mean that the parents were both tangerines and they threw "Tangerines" and patterned discus? If that is what it is then what would you call this patterned tangerine?? I just want it to be cleard up Thanks

Green Country Discus
06-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Can you post a pic so we can see what you are talking about. Tangerines are Pigeon Blood Discus and their genetics are quite dynamic. Show us a pic before we can give an opinion. F1 is the offspring , or first generation of a cross or any first generation of unrelated fish. Cary is the master and should have answered your Q. hth

PigeonBloodz
06-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Tangerine

PigeonBloodz
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Tangerine with Pattern

terps
06-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Tangerines are solid colored fish. They can have a little bit of pattern on the edges. When they have patterns in the center of the body, they are considered pigeon bloods.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tangerine+discus&svnum=10&hl=en&hs=d0c&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&imgsz=small|medium|large|xlarge

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
They are all pigeon bloods. Tangerines are a solid or nearly solid version of pigeon. Spawns will have a variation including the the above pearl-type. He should have nice full body markings with lots of white :)

Dillan
06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I bought a bunch of Pigeon Bloods that I expected to be fully patterned. Most are, but one is a solid colour. I figured that the parents didn't have a long enough lineage of patterns so some (25%) throw back to something else.

Question: Does this throwing back stop if both parents are like F10 or something?

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
LOL, I doubt anyone has crossed solid pigeons to F10. Discus havea been crossed willy nilly. Pigeons with turquoise genes have more striations and pearls.

Willie
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
F1 means that the parents were different. Many breeders will make crosses that will produce two types of spawn. For example, crossing cobalts to turqs will throw both types. That way, one breeding pair can produce two types of fish for sale.

Willie