PDA

View Full Version : shrimp in the tank

wolfbane
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I had put 6 Amanos and 4 cherries in my planted big tank, hadn't seen them and feared they were gone, but...this last water change, I saw them! The Amanos have grown, the cherries are fewer! It's been a month since I put them in there, so I think I will add to the Amano population.
Oh yes, the Flag Fish I added, I removed him, he was enjoying the BH mix more than the hair algae, so he joined his sibs in the pond out back.

poconogal
06-11-2006, 09:01 AM
So the Amanos can take the higher Discus tank temps? I was afraid to try them because of that. What temp is your tank? Also, how big are your Discus? I'm also wondering if mine will eat the shrimp. They are 4-5 inches. Thanks!
Connie

wolfbane
06-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Connie, my tank is at 84-85F. My Discus range from 4 to 6 inches in size.
There is big driftwood and a fair number of plants to hide in. I wish I could afford to get lots of these Amano shrimp, but a few at a time will have to do!

poconogal
06-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Debbie. I'm still on the fence about them, though. Seems that half the people have no problem and the other half's Discus do eat them. Guess it just depends on the particular Discus. Oh well, I'll make up my mind, eventually.
Connie

traco
06-12-2006, 12:12 AM
And do you guys QT shrimp? I have no idea if that rule applies to them? I think so but wanted to ask to make sure. I'd like to try some in my discus tank. It has driftwood and plants to hide in so they may survive.

poconogal
06-12-2006, 07:04 AM
I'd QT them, you never know...

poconogal
06-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks Debbie. I'm still on the fence about them, though. Seems that half the people have no problem and the other half's Discus do eat them. Guess it just depends on the particular Discus. Oh well, I'll make up my mind, eventually.
Connie
Hmmm, just thinking... maybe my Discus won't eat them, since they totally ignore the Cardinal Tetras in the tank???? :undecided:

Also, do you take shrimp into account when figuring stocking density? I think I've read no, don't count the shrimp, but I don't want to overcrowd my tank, just in case.

wolfbane
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Connie, I don't count them in tank density, even big Amanos are small producers of poo. My discus won't even eat guppy fry, so they haven't even thought of eating the shrimp!

poconogal
06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Connie, I don't count them in tank density, even big Amanos are small producers of poo. My discus won't even eat guppy fry, so they haven't even thought of eating the shrimp!
Debbie, okay, I'm sold. Thanks.

metfan581
06-15-2006, 10:34 AM
what do the shrimp eat?

does anything bad happen to the discus if they eat them?

poconogal
06-15-2006, 11:04 AM
what do the shrimp eat?

does anything bad happen to the discus if they eat them?
The discus just have a great snack, like a shrimp cocktail. :) The shrimp eat algae, leftover food, etc.

wolfbane
06-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Lol, Mine were close to an inch long when I bought them, they hid right away, I only see them at water changes. I want to get a bunch more! they are active and good cleaners.