PDA

View Full Version : altum

architect1
06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm curiouse on what a altum Tank. looks to me like its dark, sand substrate and alot of wood. It also looks like its a vary low PH tank to. What is it and how does it work?

grelot
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Im not sure I understand your question.
An altum is atype of fish (Pterophyllum Altum) and an altum tank is a tank with altums in it.

architect1
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Oh so Altum is the angels in the tank? I though it was like an autom where the tank looks like the fall.

My mistake I didn't know it was a fish.

grelot
06-09-2006, 07:04 AM
thtat's ok but I wasnt sure if I was understanding the question.

there exists 3 types of angelsfishes.

Pterophyllum scalares (the most commons angels that you see in LFS in many different colors)

Pterophyllum altums ( theones you see in pics of altums tanks)

pterophyllum dumerilli that is now called Leopoldi (correct me if I'm wrong)

nacra99
06-09-2006, 08:44 AM
thtat's ok but I wasnt sure if I was understanding the question.

there exists 3 types of angelsfishes.

Pterophyllum scalares (the most commons angels that you see in LFS in many different colors)

Pterophyllum altums ( theones you see in pics of altums tanks)

pterophyllum dumerilli that is now called Leopoldi (correct me if I'm wrong)

Depending on who you ask, there are 3 or 4 species of angelfish. I happen to believe (based on nothing else but lack of documentation on the 4th species) that there are 3. Scalare, Altum and Leopoldi with dumerilli as a probable subset of scalare. This is also recorded by steve @ angelsplus.

There is a lot of debate about this, and even the scientists can't seem to agree....Schultz (1967) classified Leopoldi and Dumerilli as synonyms, but Kullander (1986) re-examined the species in depth and found that Dumerelli was actually a variant of Scalare and that Leopoldi was a seperate species.

Cheers
Marc

architect1
06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know much about strans and species cause I see new one all the time. Bit I remeber seeing in a fish book there was about 10 to 15 colors now is there like 3-5 different colors in each like a yellow, fancy tail, marble, altum and Koi. Where do they all fit in?

Ryan
06-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm moving this to the Tankmates section because it's not really related to discus.

All domestic angelfish, as far as I'm concerned, are from P. scalare blood. I don't remember seeing tank-raised leopoldi/dumerilli being sold, though I have seen some pictures of them spawning. Same with altums. People claim to be spawning and raising them, but I haven't seen concrete proof. Similar to heckel discus. So any angelfish you see that are tank-raised strains like golds, koi, marbles, etc. (whether veil or standard fin) are P. scalare.

Ryan