PDA

View Full Version : featherfin synodontis

wheeler
06-10-2006, 01:38 AM
i was told that there was a synodontis catfish that could be kept with discus. i just can't recall if it was a featherfin, petricola, euruptus or something that looked quite similar? it would be going into a planted tank, just for the record.

any ideas??? thanks

Ed13
06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I've seen petricola with discus. However it was a 180g I don't think they are reliable with discus. And the water may not have the best parameters for the catfish to thrive.
Is it something you like or do you have a reason in mind to use a synodontis in a planted tank?

wheeler
06-19-2006, 01:50 AM
no reason in particular that i want to put them into a planted tank. i just don't want them munching on my plants. i'm more or less just trying to find an alternative bottom feeder to keep the bottom of the tanks clean. i like cories and such, just want to be a bit different.

DiscusBoy
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a featherfin with my discus. I have had the featherfin for about 10 years, which is before I got my discus. The featherfin and discus ignore each other. Occasonally while feeding beefheart the featherfin will push the discus out of the way, but the discus do not appear afraid of it and will continue to eat. There is never any food left over so it does a great job of cleaning the tank.

It is not the correct water parameters for the featherfin, but it is a tough enough fish that it does not appear to be bothered. If it ever came down to me or the catfish I am not sure who would win.

DiscusBoy

wheeler
09-15-2006, 11:53 PM
just thought that i'd up date here. i went a head and purchased three featherfins while they were 1". they seem to be doing well and growing well as well. they do a fantastic job of eating all the left over food. on seems to be growng faster then the others. he's about 3" now, while the others are about 2". they seem to just hide around the driftwood and just come out and be active at feeding time.

very nice in the tank IMO. once they get bigger my opinion may change if they become more aggressive.

cobaltblue
09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
i have two in my 90g planted tank, bought them about an inch long and they are both over 5 in long now. They dont bother my discus at all, and like you said, hang out in the driftwood and come out just at feeding time.

sleonard
09-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I have one about 8" in my Malawi tank. I never thought about how he'd do with my discus but he's pretty mild-mannered.

Scott

Lonx
12-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Sorry to bring an old thread back but this is great news :) I certainly couldn't part with my featherfin & am considering either discus or malawi cichlids for his new tankmates. Thanks for the info,

Moon
12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I keep and breed S. Petricola and Multipunctatus. These are in their own species tanks with some Malawi mouthbrooders. I don't keep anything else with my discus. I don't see any reason why not to keep some of the dwarf type with discus. They usually mind their own business. Some of the larger Synos tend to be agressive an territorial.

jaydoc
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I have kept 12 different species of synodontis over the years. They are very hearty and usually don't bother their tankmates except they are extremely terretorial to other synodontis. Additionally, they like to hide in the daytime so are best not kept in bare bottom tanks, ( they like establish territories like malawian cichlids) The feather fin, or eupterus is probably one of the milder mannered ones. Most of them come from hard African waters, lakes or rivers. Their environment is usually cooler than discus temps but as has been said, they are pretty tough buggers and adapt well. I have had some trouble with them fighting with each other. they get side by side and thrash, trying to spear each other with their pectoral spines.
Just some thoughts.
Cary