PDA

View Full Version : cover for a 46 bowfront

playaslk
06-10-2006, 10:41 AM
hey, a friend of mine who was storing my tanks while i was on vacation (extended) broke the glass top off of the 46 bowfront. To replace it would run about 40 bucks which i know he wont shell out (and i rather not pay either). Any ideas on how to make a cover for the tank? The tank dimentions are 36x16x20 altho i know it doesnt tell you much about the curve. I thought about possibly using the "plastic" they sell in home depot but i dont know whether they would cut it to specs with the curve. I dont have any saws at home so cutting it myself would be somewhat of a problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dk

Tony_S
06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I thought about possibly using the "plastic" they sell in home depot but i dont know whether they would cut it to specs with the curve.

Home Depot.....ha ha ha...thats funny:D I dont know about the Home Depot's in your area, but all there employee's around here have 'COMPLETELY USLESS' or...'I DONT GIVE A CRAP' stamped on thier foreheads. Good luck getting them to cut a curve to specs....

As for the "plastic" Home Depot sells...Im assuming your talking about acrylic or Plexi. It wont work very well...it warps badly when its exposed to moisture on only one side.
Glass it the best solution IMO....

Tony

guppylover
06-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Glass is the way to go and it is very easy to cut and very cheap to buy a glass cutter. If you don't know how to cut glass do a google search and there are allot of good articles that can teach ya. Just practice on scrap glass before using the good stuff.

Ed13
06-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Glass shops around here will cut it for you for a small fee as long as its a simple cut. Some shops even have experience in tank building. See if you have a store near you that might be able to help you.