PDA

View Full Version : Eco Complete

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Has anyone here ever used Eco-Complete Planted tank Substrate with Discus?

Pete09
06-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey there,

I have talked to a few people who have but it's harder to maintain a clean tank.
It's not usually recommended to a beginner but I guess if you keep up with the tank it's doable.
If you want to see your discus growing do not add too many plants either unless you have adult discus.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
Adios
Pete

Chrisb
06-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I have Eco-Complete in one of my planted no Discus tank.
The plant seem to like it but it is hard to clean becous of the fine sand.

Chris

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Let me clarify. I have already used Eco Complete in my planted tank. To see the results visit SimplyCichlids and look in the Picture Gallary under the thread for planted tanks. I still have all of it, it's just temporarily in a 37gal Tetra tank. I am familiar with all the Pros and Cons of the substrate itself, I need info on it's effect on Discus. Since Eco Complete Planted Tank substrate is a mixture of very very fine material all the way up to course material it really falls into all the catagories of sand, gravel and everything in between. Haveing read the thread on Sand vs Gravel, I was left with the question about it.
Pete, I'm only a beginner with Discus, not aquariums in general. :)

architect1
06-13-2006, 12:40 AM
OK now I'm really stumped. i hear it works great, with plants but I didn't know if you have a planted tank it will stunt the growth of a discus. I also didn't think it was hard to clean. I was told to wash it put it in the bottom of my tanks and mix it with another stone.

So I'm interested now cause I need about 7.5 bags for a 60 x 18 tank to make 3 inches. So I was going to do 4 bags of eco and 4 bags of some fine brown stone from this other company that makes the enamil coated stone.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-13-2006, 05:34 AM
architect, eco complete is not hard to clean at all. I have plenty of experience with this stuff and it's all in how you go about cleaning it. I'm not sure who told you to wash it but you really shouldn't. It comes packed in water so you simply need to open the bag and pour it in. Of course you don't want any fish in the tank when you add the stuff since it takes an couple of hours to completely settle. I would suggest haveing the tank about half full though. Do not mix it with other substrate as this ruins the purpose for it. This stuff is designed so that the finest material will actually setle to the bottom and the course stuff will sit on top. 3 Inches is ideal but not absolutly necessary.

senso
06-13-2006, 08:13 AM
I am using Eco Complete in a tank with 5 young Altums. The fish are doing fantastically, growing well, and eating everything. With some careful siphoning the substrate is simple to keep clean.

pcsb23
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
As with any substrate the issues are the same. For growing out discus its hard, for planted tanks with discus its essential. the type of substrate is only relevant if it affects the water chemistry too much (normally makes it too hard & alakaline). Eco Complete from memory is ph neutral so won't affect water chemistry. As you intend to keep discus in a planted tank, Eco Complete would be perfect in my opinion. But just to stress, get adult or near adult discus!

Of course it is hard to medicate any tank that is planted, so I'd recommend having a spare 20gal or similar just in case. It could always be used as a breeding tank too as you will be getting adults... :)

hth,

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll have a spare 37 when I set up the Discus tank. hmm... That breeding idea sounds good to me Paul. Thanks

architect1
06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah there was a thread some where and I was hearning some crap about it. I thought you dumped it in and it does all the work. I also heard that you can mix it with another substrate. So is it ok to go 50/50 eco and another substrate?

hexed
06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Everyone!
Been on vacation and just got back today. I have 4 bags but still need more :) I have grown out discus in both substrate and BB. Substrate was the hardest to grow them out in. You must clean every nook and cranny of it or they will always get ill. BB was the easiest and healthiest to grow them out. I myself would say and suggest that if the discus going into the planted tank are not adults or young adults then grow them out first before putting them into a planted or substrate tank. Nothing looks nicer then to see big beautiful discus swimming in a planted tank, but some people do like to see little ones in it because it makes the tank look bigger but they do end up being stunted discus. The only thing I wish I had done though was set up the planted tank while my discus were growing out, this way the planted tank will be established by the time the discus were old enough.
You can mix eco-complete with sand or even flourite but I will stay with just the eco for my tank. According to my bags it does say that it is neutral pH and not to rinse it before placing in the tank.
Frank

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-13-2006, 10:19 PM
I will be keeping a BB 37 for any grow out that may be needed or even for breeding.

architect1
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
I had a big problem in my tank as most people seen my thread some where. So I was thinking just that. Get 15 discus put them in my 55 gallon and grow them up to adult juvies.

Mean while set up my 110g tank with plants and then when they get big enough place them in my soon new 110g to grow to adults. Then when there fully grown throw them in the big planted tank.

I'm just in the middle of looking for eco complete for cheeper then 50$ a bag hear in canada. I also need the 3rd tank to do this all with.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Eco Complete isn't cheap anywhere architect. I purchased mine online during a sale a website was having.

pedsdoc
06-14-2006, 10:19 PM
New here, but have been doing this awhile...
Eco complete is great for me, but I actually use it in the quarter of the tank that has plants that need substrate (actually considered clay pots, but didn't like the look) and have my anubius and java fern beside/on my driftwood. I didn't mix it and have had great luck so far, no pH problems and no plant problems... I am starting out with 4" discus, so can't comment on stunting.

Good luck!
PS- found it for $30 online while on sale

architect1
06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
I've seen some for 22$ but in canada its 45$ a bag I mines well go with the amazon substrate. because its more per daller but I still need to get the top layer but it costs more. its a no win situation.

I will weight till i get my job then i wont worry about price.

hexed
06-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Foster and smith has it for $19.99 a bag but I do not know what shipping is to Canada :(

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2006, 06:16 AM
Well, since a couple other plases have been mentioned I guess I'll mention AquariumPlants.com
That is where I purchased my Eco Complete and they sell it for $22 and occassionally run a sale on it.

I just thought I'd throw in an example of success with this substrate. This is what my 75gal looked like before I moved and switched it to being a Reef

Pete09
06-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Hello ILuvMyGoldBarb,

I have been away for a while but I guess you got plenty of answers here ;)
Here is the deal, regarding eco complete, it won't harm your discus or at least hasn't harmed mine in the past. I am not sure exactly about the detailed chemistry of the eco complete but I heard it's really good for plants and for breaking down certain chemicals in the water. Regarding the growth of the discus, you don't want too many plants believe me.
Hey guys by the way if you want to find cheap eco complete go to this website.
I think it's pretty cheap...I read someone spending $30 :confused: That's too much.
Go to :balloon: petsolutions.com :balloon: and let me know what you think. They even have a sale so go now before it gets back to its original price.
Alright hope this helps.
Adios for now
Pete

Pete09
06-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Here is the direct link for eco complete
That will make it much easier for you to find it.
Good luck

http://www.petsolutions.com/Freshwater+Gravels-C-10351-C-.aspx

Pete

Superfish
06-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I have eco complete in my planted discus tank.

The eco complete shouldn't be washed when putting it in the tank. The cloudness should go away if you let it settle for over night. My plants love it. My discus look great in the planted tank.

I am still looking for 2 nice ones...its so hard to find nice ones in Ottawa, Ontario...for the right price.

lauren0626
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
I use eco complete in my low-tech planted discus tank. I love the natural look of it and the plants/fish look great!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-22-2006, 04:49 PM
I just ordered another bag of it for my tank. I aquariumplants.com has it for $22/bag with free shipping in the US right now. :) I had to jump on that one.

Apistomaster
06-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi All
I'm kind of lucky because where I live I have acess to creeks than drain off the huge Columbian Lava Plateau in Eastern WA. and to the West the Idaho Batholith. It's hard work to sieve your own aquarium sand/gravel but the Columbian Plateau material is indistiguishable from eco-complete replete with microbial populations present in the streams I frequent. It's primarily irregularly rounded basalt with a smattering of rhyolite and quartzite.
To the West in Northern Idaho the stream beds are mostly weathered granitic rocks with quartzite making up more of the mix that Columbian Plateau rocks. These are an attractive speckled tan instead of balsaltic dark gray. Both make nice sustrates and are minimally reactive chemically and plants thrive in both types. It is back breaking work to sieve enough of the proper gradations for a 75g to 125g tank. The scenery and fly fishing make up for a few hours of grunt work, then again there are some natural hot springs in the Idaho drainages that provide some relief for sore muscles.
Larry in Clarkston, WA

pedsdoc
06-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry, from my earlier reply, I indicated that eco-complete was over 30 USD, but that was my whole bill...I see that you firgured out it was a bit over $20. Good luck!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-24-2006, 07:11 PM
It's ok pedsdoc, that is actually the second time I've purchased Eco-complete. I already had 4 bags for my 75. I just had to jump on the opportunity to get another bag to deepen the substrate.