PDA

View Full Version : one of my discus won't eat

multifish
06-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi, new here. I currently have 2 3" discus in my 40g. Had them for about 4days. Plan to get about 3 more over the weekend. I do about 25%waterchange everyday and my temp is at 86F. They are active and healthy looking, but the problem is, one of my discus isn't eating at all. First started with pellets, only one ate a little bit. Then tried frozen blood worms, the one that ate pellets before ate them happily, while the other just swims around and doesn't touch anything. What should I do? give the one more time to get used to my tank? new food? how long can discus last for without food?
Thanks

poconogal
06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi and welcome to Simply, Multifish. Please give more info about your tank and water, i.e., how long has tank been set up, your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, size of the tank, etc. Also, have you noticed any white, stringy poo, or flashing or darting? Rapid breathing with only one gill opening and closing? Or, it could just be that the fish needs more time to feel at home. Once you respond with answers, there are many great Discus people here who will help.

Connie

Kindredspirit
06-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey Multi ~

Welcome to Sd! If they are new they may not eat for awhile due to new surroundings ~ some say turn off the lights for a day or two ~ You said you were getting more this weekend? From the same source? If not itz best to qt for six weeks in a dif tank ~ IMO 50% wc may be more beneficial for your discus ~ esp with five in a 40gal ~ So keep your tank clean and do not overfeed with plenty of wc daily ~ is your tank barebottom or planted? BB is best for babies and easier for you too!

And Connie is right in that posting your water parameters wld be very helpful!

And Pictures Multi!! We love them here:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

AADiscus
06-15-2006, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't worry to much right now. Your fish are just getting used to your tank and you. Call the person you got them from and see what they were feeding. You could always try live food also. I would not put the new fish you are getting in with them unless they are from the same person your others came from. You will be taking a risk of bring disease into your tank.