PDA

View Full Version : where to get cheap fert tabs

playaslk
06-17-2006, 01:45 PM
hey guys/gals,

I've been looking for this topic but havent been been able to find it so here it goes.

I have a semi planted tank with some plastics and some live plants including, jungle val, cork screw vals, sword plant, wisteria and anubias. I've read that the sword/anubias need root feeding with fert tabs on top of the regular seachem complete dosing. I know that I can just go to the LFS and pick some seachem tabs up (or whatever brand they have), but in my effort to save money, i was wondering (and remember seing something about) using fertilizer tabs from the local walmart/HD or any other place with regular garden supplies. Are there any places that have acceptable products which are cheaper then the stuff at the LFS?

Thank you

DK

lhforbes12
06-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Jobs Fern & Azalea plant sticks work fine and are inexpensive. There really is no need to root feed plants if you are fertilizing the water column though.

Dissident
06-17-2006, 05:51 PM
There really is no need to root feed plants if you are fertilizing the water column though.
Not true, valls, anubias, and swords get the majority of their ferts from the substrate (much more efficant absorbing nutriants through the root system). Stem-plants will typically get it through the water column. If you have a majority of root-feeding plants ferts in the water column will give you more algae than plant growth. If you are not injecting CO2 into your tank you will want to keep water column ferts down to a minimum, maybe some K/Ca/Mg. You will get enough trace from doing regular water changes with the type of plants you are keeping.

The jobe (fern) sticks are super cheap and work well. However you have to burry them deep and can't disturb them or they will make your PO4 spike and give you a nice algae bloom if they get into the water collumn.

BTW only use 1/2 a stick per/plant.

If you are just setting up a tank they can be put down before you add in the substrate so they are on the very bottom, I have seen a lot of ppl do this to suppliment a standard gravel substrate.

Personally I just get some Sera Root tabs at my LFS $7 for like 20 tabs and they have done well for me. The only need to be replaced every 90days or so and you wont run into the same PO4 issues you will with jobe sticks.

Debbie
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Fertilizing the roots is a much better way to fertilize, and decreases algae in the tank because there aren't all the nutrients floating around the tank. I use the jobs plant spikes also, I cut them into 1/4 pieces and place in the substrate near the roots.

diablocanine
06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Make your own:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Substrate_Fertilizers_s/41.htm

Debbie
06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Why bother when there are ones you can buy for probably cheaper than you can make?

diablocanine
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Because you can make the tabs to suit your conditions....DC