PDA

View Full Version : What Would You do?

Kindredspirit
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey Guys ~

I have a school of Rummy Nose that I have had in qt for three weeks ~ I need to move them to the discus tank .....

Do you think three weeks of qt is sufficient? Or no? Lost one or two the first day ~ but none since ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_134.gif

Kweenshaker
06-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I usually QT my fish for at least a month, but if they are not showing any signs of disease and you HAVE to move them, do it, but keep a VERY close eye on everyone.

Ryan
06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I would wait a little longer. Can you move over a runt discus or a least favorite discus for a couple weeks to observe it? I know that it's hard to sacrifice one fish... but better to let one fish get sick than 6 or 8.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Guys ~ I know....I usually qt for six weeks ....but I am setting up my African Tank Ryan....and I wanted to buy them tomorrow! They are getting in all the ones I want tonight ~

I wanted to keep the rummy nose for the discus tank ....and/or I cld take them back for credit ~ but I love them! I had never seen them before with that red nose and the checkered tail ~ way cool!

They can not go in with the Africans I'm guessing ~ I can just see you saying No Marie! And IF they cld then qt wld start all over again...

decisions decisions decisions....

Thanks Boys ~

Kindredspirit
06-21-2006, 03:21 PM
oh ... and Al suggested that to me when I was contemplating mixing up my tanks of discus .....to find a 'sacrificial lamb' so to speak....and I do have a runt to two ...

And once I started to do it ~ but ultimately in the end I could not ~

M ~ :o

tpl*co
06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
oh ... and Al suggested that to me when I was contemplating mixing up my tanks of discus .....to find a 'sacrificial lamb' so to speak....and I do have a runt to two ...

And once I started to do it ~ but ultimately in the end I could not ~

M ~ :o

I was going to suggest that too, or else you could send all the rummies to me! LOL

Tina

pcsb23
06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
I would take a patience pill or buy another tank :)

crazie.eddie
06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
If there had be no signs, you should be fine. Just be carefull on acclimating them to the discus tank. If you stress them too much, you weaken their immunity, therefore, could still bring something over to the tank. Using a runt discus wouldn't matter in this case.

traco
06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Don't you have a 10 gallon kicking around you could put them in for a couple of more weeks?

crazie.eddie
06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Don't you have a 10 gallon kicking around you could put them in for a couple of more weeks?

They're already in a QT tank, there's no need to put them into another 10 gallon tank.

As you said, you only lost a couple on the first day or 2, but none since. So you should be fine. 3 weeks is sufficient, but if you have doubts, keep them in there longer. Make it 2 months, 1 year, or maybe a decade just to be sure.

wolfbane
06-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Marie, I just bought 10 rummies today! They are in QT and will go in with the discus. I wish I could have bought 25, love those lil guys!!

traco
06-21-2006, 11:38 PM
They're already in a QT tank, there's no need to put them into another 10 gallon tank.

As you said, you only lost a couple on the first day or 2, but none since. So you should be fine. 3 weeks is sufficient, but if you have doubts, keep them in there longer. Make it 2 months, 1 year, or maybe a decade just to be sure.

I wasn't aware they were in a 10 QT tank; in fact, I don't think they are in a 10 gallon.

Kindredspirit
06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Well ~ to set things straight:p they are not in a ten gal tank but they are in qt as they have not been in anything else but the 35gal with the tiger barbs I bought when I got the Rummies...( i like that!)

So tech they are in and have been in qt ~ for three weeks ~ I do have a ten gal Barb ~ two ~ but I dont wanna set up another one! I moved my 35 and 10 gal Goby tanks just now!!! I wish you cld see! I need to get it set up as my Africans came in and I wanna get them in the morning!

I guess I cld wait another month Eddie ~ or perhaps a year? Wait...a decade? That wasnt very nice now was it? Thank you tho for you suggestions;)

Tina ~ Debbie ~ I love these guys!!! Tina you can NOT have them ....but you are gonna give me that African right?? :D still?

phalough
06-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Rushing into problems isn't good, I've done it many times and still have to ask myself why. Put one of your discus into the tank with the rummy nose and see what happens who ever told you to do that is darn right althuogh all should be fine.

N_E_time
06-22-2006, 12:39 AM
I have rummy nose with my discus and out of all the times my discus have been un healthy my rummy nose have been no problem. They are a very hearty fish. I've had cardinals, neons, blood fins, and the only ones that have stood the test of time is the rummy nose tetras............:)

Debbie
06-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Marie, just set up that 10 gallon...it won't be that bad for another week! I told you that the last time you were here silly girl

Kindredspirit
06-22-2006, 02:32 AM
I know I know Deb! I am tired tho....and old dayumit! Guess what I am looking at? My 35gal all ready with YOUR rocks and gravel and now all I need are my Africans which I hope to get in the morning....It looks so good Deb! I was looking for you cuz I wanted to know if I can leave all those snails in that you gave me in the moss? I did. I couldnt touch them so they are like under the gravel...oops!

I think I may have done in the rummies tho....they dont look too good...:( The water was a little cold going in before I caught it...The Tiger Barbs are evil fish on crack so I do not think anything could phase them!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_8.gif

ps. I tried like five times to go to Mrk's site tonight and it wouldnt let me....strange~

tpl*co
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
You know marie, I have my quarantine tank open, (took back the angels), those rummies can come live with me.

Tina