PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Cardinal tetras

Alight
06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Thought I'd post a link to a thread on another site that I've found very entertaining and fun. It's about a hobbiest trying to breed Glow Light and Cardinal Tetras. A good read and informative. Wish we did have a nice trade going in hobbiest grown Cardinal Tetras!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/31255-crshadows-tetra-breeding-project-56k-warning.html

lhforbes12
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Al,
That is the most interesting article I have read in quite some time! Thanks for the link.

Larry

Harriett
06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for this link--the article was fascinationg to me! I have always wanted to try to breed cardinals--I've had about 18 in with the discus since I set up the tank about 4 years ago---maybe sometime.....
Harriett

t2000kw
07-19-2006, 04:19 AM
May I ask, those of you with cardinals, where did you get them? They are scarce here in LFSs and I see them on line sometimes, but knowing so many are wild caught and not knowing who you're dealing with... just haven't tried it.

Seems I never see them in LFSs. Reckon I could ask a LFS to order me some?

poconogal
07-19-2006, 07:30 AM
May I ask, those of you with cardinals, where did you get them? They are scarce here in LFSs and I see them on line sometimes, but knowing so many are wild caught and not knowing who you're dealing with... just haven't tried it.

Seems I never see them in LFSs. Reckon I could ask a LFS to order me some?
Got mine in LFS. They were wild caught, as I've read and been told that most are, still. My LFS QTs for at least 2 weeks to a month, depending, and will not sell any before QT time is up. He had them mostly in the spring.

Connie

TheXman
10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
I just found this thread and went to the link. He now has updates up to 10-6-06 and sucessfully raised one glowlight tetra to an adult. The rest of his fry died when he switched from live food to prepared food, but before he tried this, it looks like he was doing quite well, at least for a species where captive breeding is almost nonexistant. He says he's going to try again, and was getting his fry foods ready, but no new updates since the sixth. Very interesting, and I have to say I'm surprised that he got as far as he did with his first batch of cards!:)

jpfelix
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
i've had cardinals and golds breed in my 20l and 37g. by the time i notice the fry it's too late. i've managed to raise 5 golds and 3 cardinals from the hatchings.

it usually happens after some wc neglect and then an increase in significant wc's.

TheXman
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
i've had cardinals and golds breed in my 20l and 37g. by the time i notice the fry it's too late. i've managed to raise 5 golds and 3 cardinals from the hatchings.

it usually happens after some wc neglect and then an increase in significant wc's.
So these were unplanned spawns? That's interesting! I guess that if breeding is triggered by a buildup of waste, followed by lots of fresh, clean water it may explain why people have been so unsuccessful so far, because they're probably trying to give the breeders the best quality water to begin with. Clown loaches are also famously difficult to breed, but in the couple of situations that they have been reported to breed is when there is a lapse in wc, after which the loaches go on an uncharacteristic feeding frenzy when they eat all the smaller fish in the tank that they would normally leave alone, and a day or so after this, they spawn.
Just out of curiosity, how hard is your water?

LizStreithorst
10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Got mine in LFS. They were wild caught, as I've read and been told that most are, still. My LFS QTs for at least 2 weeks to a month, depending, and will not sell any before QT time is up. He had them mostly in the spring.

Connie

Bill Egan has them for $1.00 a peace. Great price! He's a member here.