PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Bristle Nose

wolfbane
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
I just bought the cutest lil guy, a black eyed lemon BN pleco! I'm told they get a little smaller than the standard ones, maturing at 4 inches or so. I think I like this guy, may go back for another! He's pretty small right now,around 1 inch, munching on zuchinni. I'm keeping him in the quarrantine tank with the Rummies I just bought. Anyone kept these before?

DavidWong
06-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Any photo to show for the Bristle nose nuts to drool ??

poconogal
06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I just bought the cutest lil guy, a black eyed lemon BN pleco! I'm told they get a little smaller than the standard ones, maturing at 4 inches or so. I think I like this guy, may go back for another! He's pretty small right now,around 1 inch, munching on zuchinni. I'm keeping him in the quarrantine tank with the Rummies I just bought. Anyone kept these before?
No Lemons, but I recently got 2 Albinos, about 2 inches, who are just adorable. They are turning Lemon colored, though, I think because they are eating Tetra Bits, and of course they just LOVE Zucchini. They look pretty cool, yellow with red eyes!

Connie

wolfbane
06-22-2006, 03:33 PM
David, no pics yet, later I hope!
Connie, I originaly wanted albinos, but this guy was so yellow!! His little eyes are blue rimmed!

poconogal
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Debbie, he sounds just beautiful. Wish I'd see those lil guys here. I do hope you can post pic!
Connie

rodneyfisher
06-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey does any body know a good place online to buy any lemon or albino bn?

Ed13
06-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm curios about the fish. Is it a wild caught L-144 or a domestic...
Maybe I'll get a chance to order some from an exporter or a farm..

wolfbane
06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
That's one question I did not ask, hope to post a pic Monday. I picked him up at a LFS here, nice place, all tanks on separate filters.

wolfbane
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, this why we use QT protocall. My lil guy died, fins melted away and then bloody spots under the skin.

poconogal
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
:cry: Awww, Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that. Poor lil guy.

Connie

hexed
06-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Debbie,
Sorry to hear about your loss. What is the temp in the QT tank? When I get anything from a LFS I make sure the temp in the QT tank is the same as the one at the LFS then I slowly turn the temp up a little each day until it matches mine. If I see any stress I turn the temp down a little and try again in a few days. If I see that they cannot take the temp I usually bring them back to the store cause all my tanks are set for discus. I hope this little bit of info helps next time. I also have an extra air stone going in my QT tank along with a sponge filter ;)
Frank

wolfbane
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Whew, hadn't seen your reply Frank! It was the same as fish store, 76F.He wasn't to go in with the discus, was going to put him in my tank in the planning, with Praecox rainbows.

lhforbes12
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Debbie,
Scaleless fish are extremely susceptable to ich, and what you describe sounds like it was caused by ich, even if you didn't see white spots. I would be leery of getting any more from that lfs, at least for awhile.

Larry

tpl*co
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Poor guy, pleco's are also subseptable to worms. I had a batch of young bristlenose die off one by one and I couldn't figure out why until I saw the worms and dewormed the remaining bristlenose! One way I could tell they were under stress is that they look bleached out (bad sign if they turn really pale).

Also, they are sensitive to salt and some chemicals, low oxygen and changes in temp.

Also, see how filled out they are before purchasing (if they look skinny or emaciated look out). Knock on wood I purchased some longfins last week, and they are in quarantine fattening up on cucumber, spinich and algae wafers.

Tina

wolfbane
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Thx for all the info folks, this is usually a good LFS, maybe just a poorly fish. I still want a couple of lemon plecos, but maybe I will seek them elsewhere. I haven't been back to the store to see how the others faired.
Tina, which produst is good for worming them?
Larry, just read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine about ick in scaless fish, very interesting!!

tpl*co
07-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Tina, which produst is good for worming them?
Larry, just read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine about ick in scaless fish, very interesting!!

When I had to deworm my bristlenose, I saw the red worms out of the back end and had to get sheep dewormer to get rid of them! (levamisole?). Both that and Prazi pro (but that's for a different type of worm, and used at different times) I've found are safe to use with bristles.

here's a post about levamisole:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=42836&highlight=levamisol

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46422&highlight=levamisol

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Deb ~ Boy missed this one ya think? Sorry don't mean to hi-jack your thread but here is what I got recently ~ they are in my African tank ~ totally forget what they are tho ~ not too bright either or just young perhaps.... as I put rocks covered with algae in from the discus tank and takes them FOREVER to find it! I never seem to get alage in that tank no matter what ~ go figure ~ but when they do find those rocks ..... it is way cool to watch! Note the lil sucker uppers that come out? Get some pics of yours woman!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_51.gif

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_7448Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_7446Small.jpg

wolfbane
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Marie, those look like albino algae eaters? My lemon pleco died, so no pics:(