PDA

View Full Version : can I use a co2 reactor with my discus

lilcrazyshell
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
I bought a HAGEN PLANT GRO CO2 system from a LFS and added it to my 55 gallon because my plants were not doing too well. The box said that I needed 3-4 of those systems inorder for the entore tank to get enough CO2, but I thought I'd try with one before buying more stuff.

But every since I put it in, my discus have been acting weird. My 3 1'inch discus are always in the corner and near the surface of the tank. I've already lost 2 bigger fish, but I didn't know if that was because I introduced new stuff to the tank and stressed them out or ??????

My tank is at 83 degrees has only a few fish in them. So i'm still dazzled over the death of my fish. Those anyone knows if artificial CO2 reactors and discus are a bad combo.

Westie
06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I have one and only one in my 90g and it, with iron supplementation works just fine. Using enough light? 2 watts per gal./min. Also, Co2 can have an adverse affect on your pH. Check and adjust there too. Thats my .02

Alight
06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Check your pH, but I'd be very, very surprised if a yeast CO2 generator, even 5 of them, could generate enough CO2 to have an affect on your fish.

Dissident
06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Be very cautious with DIY CO2 and discus.

There is no control over the system, it will run all night a can poison your fish if you are not carefull. You will want an airstone to go on at night to gass-off excess CO2.

I am not sure what ppm you can reach in a 55gal with 1/2/3/4/5/... hagen systems but the cost of that would probably lead one to reccomend a pressurized system that can go no a time and turn off at night when plants are not using CO2.

lhforbes12
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Lil.
I think your problem is most likely a lack of dissolved gas exchange. I doubt very much that your little CO2 reactor would effect your fish, but if the surface of your tank is not in motion that could cause grave effects. 83F is a fairly high temperature and at higher temperatures there is much less dissolved O2 in your water. The way to mitigate this is by providing as much surface movement as you can in order to get as much O2 into your water as possible.
That was the long answer, the short answer is; either add an airstone or create surface movement by another means.

Larry

Dissident
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Lil.
I think your problem is most likely a lack of dissolved gas exchange. I doubt very much that your little CO2 reactor would effect your fish, but if the surface of your tank is not in motion that could cause grave effects. 83F is a fairly high temperature and at higher temperatures there is much less dissolved O2 in your water. The way to mitigate this is by providing as much surface movement as you can in order to get as much O2 into your water as possible.
That was the long answer, the short answer is; either add an airstone or create surface movement by another means.

Larry

I would agree as far as the fish losses. Fish will stay near the surface because thats where the most O2 exchange is occouring.
CO2 posioning they will be on the bottom breathing very slowly.