PDA

View Full Version : Filtration systems for Discus

2gwm
06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
I am new to this forum and this is the first posting I have made. I am beginning again as a hobbyist after being aways from the hobby for a long time. I would like to begin with discus as they have always impressed me with their beauty.

I am beginning with a 29 gal high aquarium (24") and I need some advice about filtration systems. I am going to have the aquarium planted with gravel and a growing medium (flourtie), filled with 1/2 tap and RO water.

I plan to have the tank cycle for a month and will introduce a betta as a temporary resident to assist in cycling.

I have hear a lot of pros and cons about the Eclipse hood and also recommendations for the Fluval 204 canister system. Which is best? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a filtration system?

After the tank has cycled, planning on introducing 3-4 2.5" fish. I have been leaning towards the Diamond Blue, Red Leopard, Super Red or the King Scorpion varieties.

Any and all assistance will be of help!

I look forward to your comments and suggestion for a successful beginning!

Dissident
06-28-2006, 05:57 PM
If this is your first time with discus and a planted tank i would do one of the two:
BB discus tank (bare bottom) no plants/gravel.
Planted tank with tetras.
Once you have 'mastered' one of the two it will make the combination of the two much easier. I kept planted tanks for 5yrs before I added discus (not that it takes that long to 'master' the planted aquarium).

The Hood you are using will not be good for a planted tank unless you retro-fit some better lighting in it. You will want 60-80Watts of light over it to give any plants a fair chance.

Filters will depend on what type of planted tank you do:
High-tech planted tanks with CO2 will be best with a canister filter. For a 29gallon a rena XP2 or Jebo828 would work fine.
Low-tech planted would be fine with a good HOB filter like an aquaclear70, or two. Two HOB filters are nice since you can alternate cleaning of the filters, clean one on even months and the other on odd months.

Here is a good place to start for planted tanks:
http://rexgrigg.com/
-read, learn, & apply-

Alight
06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Good advice from Diss.

I actually started out raising Discus in a 29, 40 years ago, but really can't recommend it.

You really need a 55 to get started on the right foot with discus. You should have at least 6 in a school if you are going to raise them from 2.5 inches to adulthood, and 6 is almost too many for a 55, and really way to much for a 29. I thought I'd be able to take some out of the 29 when I raised my first 6, but couldn't part with them which led to many more tanks, and the rest is history.

Anyway, if there's any way you can do it, get at least a 55 now, make it bare bottom and you will be successful in raising some nice discus. You can put some plants in pots to make it look nicer, and really have a nice clean, good looking tank.

Graham
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
''.........I plan to have the tank cycle for a month and will introduce a betta as a temporary resident to assist in cycling......''

Unless you add a source of ammonia you can let the tank run for 6 months and still not have any nitrifying bacteria...the tank will not be cycled. A Betta wouldn't give off enough ammonia to cycle a GF bowl let alone 29 gallon aquarium.

If you cycle a tank with just a betta when you introduce the discus you will go through a full cycle , only being offset/lowered by the amount of water you change daily.

Also the size of the bacteria colony/bio-film/nitrifiers is directly related to amount of ammonia available to them...the amount of ammonia produced is directly related to the protien level of the food fed and the amounts.

The ideal way to cycle a tank is to use pure ammonia and maintain 3 to 5 ppm till such time as the bacteria utilize all of it...a fishless cycle ...do a water change and add fish without worry

G

lhforbes12
06-28-2006, 07:54 PM
2gwm,
I was going to reply to your question but the 3 answers you already got have pretty much said it all, and correctly too. I think Al's advice about using at least a 55 gallon and starting with 6 discus is probably the best given. We normally use a 29 gallon tank for breeding purposes only.

Larry

greyhoundfan
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Using fish to start your cycle could also bring in unwanted pathogens. Don't need to take the chance. Those betas are kept in little cups at the pet store and are sad and in poor condition. You might be using a sick betta. Go the fishless cycle route.

lhforbes12
06-29-2006, 08:41 PM
gwn,
btw welcome to Simply!

senso
06-29-2006, 08:43 PM
If you choose to embark on your adventure all is possible, just go slow. Read a lot this site and others Will give you lots of advice, many conflicting and a few will add gems of wisdom. GO SLOW

My advice is go for what you want but do it methodically.
Bigger is better - 55g min for the discus or else in 2 months you will buying all over again anyway
Set up the tank with gravel and plants that work well with discus
Add plants that require low light, java fern, crypts, anubias. Preferably start with plants you can attach to driftwood.
Use a compact gravel - silica sand is good and inexpensive and allows you to see any left over food and other waste easily

Start your cycle as you wish (fish or fishless) .
Week 1 - set up tank, check water and allow to settle
end wk 1 - plant some hardy plants
Wk 3 - begin to introduce your cleanup crew first and slowly in stages.
Wk 4 add some more plants
Wk 5 add more cleanup crew
Wk 7 add some other fish - that you may want in the tank

wk 8 order discus
wk 9 the work begins - be prepared to change water a lot.

Add plants slowly as well. Start with a low tech tank and then see how you wish to evolve.
During this time check out breeders/dealers, check trading reviews, read some more and be sure about the discus you want - it is your choice at the end of the day.
You need to decide if you want to start with juveniles or sub-adults. With juvies buy more and they cost less and then remove those that are 'second'; grade as they grow. Plan on 5 adults in a 55. A 29g will hold a pair of adults

Have FUN, a large part of this is in the planning.