PDA

View Full Version : Snails?

phalough
06-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I would like to purchase some snails for my discus tank. I would like to know what kind of water they like. The one thats at my local store is a nice looking gold snail for very cheap and yet still active and seems to cruz the tank nicely. They should help with any algae on the glass correct? I keep my tank at 6.5ph and 86 degrees. I think my water is slightly soft.

Jeckel
07-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I've tried to keep gold apple snails with discus but the snails died after about a month in the warm water. When they die they putrefy very quickly, so you need to remove any dead ones right away. I keep little Malaysian trumpet snails with discus, and the snails do very well. I think they need some gravel to burrow in, since they only come out at night. I have a thin layer of gravel in the tank. I think these snails are livebearing, and they have multiplied a lot in my tank.

traco
07-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I have apple snails in my discus tank, 84 degrees and they breed, babies hatch and grow, so they must be happy in my tank.:D

phalough
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Are those the same as the gold inca snails? Because thats what they say they are at my local fish store.

phalough
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Are those the same as the gold inca snails? Because thats what they say they are at my local fish store.