PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to quarintine a snail?

phalough
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm buying some cool gold looking one's for my tank, and wasn't sure if they are known to carry anything that may present a problem to my discus.

AmberC
07-03-2006, 08:06 AM
As far as I know you should QT everything.. but I *believe* you cannot use medications on snails? I think I have read that a few times.

Barb.. where are ya? I think she took hers out when she had to medicate some rams because they cannot do meds?

Anyone else know for sure?

Amber

dandestroy
07-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is a few med that I have used in a 20 gal tank that has no discus, for the purpose of testing medication on plants, shrimp and snail.

No bad effect:

Prazipro
metronidazole
Fungus Clear
melafix

will test EM tab, and furan-2 this week.

So I would QT any snail and shrimp with metronidazole, followed by prazipro before putting them with my discus

pcsb23
07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Many meds have an adverse effect on snails, in particular those with copper in. But prazi(?), flubenol and similar are also dangerous to snails.

I am not an expert on snails or transmission of disease from snails to fish. I would QT them if only to acclimate them to discus conditions etc and to ensure their general health.

traco
07-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd QT to be on the safe side. I've got lots of snails in all my tanks and move them around between tanks. BUT mine are home bred (must be doing something right) not store bought.

I've always taken my snails out when doing meds. Better safe than sorry.:)

They do help keep my tank walls clean plus I feed them zucchini, beans, cucumber, algae wafers. They love fresh veggies (I blanche mine). I am also amazed how fast they can move around in a tank. Speedy Gonzales!

Ed13
07-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I believe that, a Q period is necessary with snails.. They maybe carriers of diseases, so a healthy fish needs to be placed with them to see if they are carriers of something. If you ever get a chance to see how most snails arrive from various farms:shocked: , you would never even consider one for a discus tank, at least the common ones.. They even hide bugs and things like leeches inside their shells, but since you can't medicate.....:vomit: