PDA

View Full Version : Painting tanks

freewest
07-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm interested in painting my tanks, and I was wondering how everyone painted the backs of their glass tanks. Do you use spraypaint? A paintbrush? Is there a special type of paint to use? Are there any links that would help me to paint my tanks?

Thanks
Tory

crazie.eddie
07-03-2006, 01:31 AM
I use spraypaint, but I know some others use regular paint using a roller. Paint on glass will remain, but may easily be scraped off. What I did was place, having leftover tank backing, I just taped over it. Others use giftwrap or something of similar size.

lkleung007
07-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi,

I have hand painted about 15 tanks...I just use the old paint brush...works fast and help me get to the corners easily. I did put about 3 coats of paint on to get a good solid color.

HTH, Lester

troyclark
07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
I mask the frame off and use a good quality latex paint and apply with a roller. I usually do 3-4 coats and after the last one dries completely, I use a latex based polyurathane on the sides and back to protect the paint against water spills. After the poly dries, I use Reflectix (a silver insulating material) to cover the back and sides. This helps protect the paint and provided insulation making your heaters work less.

P.S. Its a good idea to wipe the glass with rubbing alcohol before you paint to make the paint adhere to the glass better.

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 12:55 PM
We have used several techniques to paint our tanks. We have used the brush or roller with Latex, spray paint in faux rock look top coated with similar color spray paint to get good coverage and last time I used sponges with Latex and really liked the look. With the sponges, I first used a natural sponge, applying a darker color first coat randomly by turning the sponge as I dabbed. I then top coated with a lighter color with a flat/ smooth 4" X 8" car washing type sponge. I was impressed with the coverage using the flat sponge. With a paint brush or roller, coverage was much tougher than with the sponge and edges and corners were a breeze. I applied with the sponge by loading with paint and sitting on the glass getting one footprint per application. It came out real smooth and covered great with two coats. I would recommend anyone painting their tanks to stay light with color.

I am with Troy on the Reflectix, great product to save energy and protect painted tanks or to keep water off of backgrounds. Apply with clear packing tape. Once applied the tape is HARD to remove.

I will show a pic of the sponge finished look. HTH

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
pic

used2bBubbles
07-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I love the sponge painted tank, Andrew. You said you first used a darker color first, then a lighter. In the example you posted, did you use two shades of beige? It's hard to tell. The effect is great. How do you fish show up in front of it? I was thinking of a pale blue, but I have blue diamonds and royal blues...

Thanks!
Kathi

lhforbes12
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Andrew,
I'm with Kathi, your tank looks great! Like Kathi I also wonder how well blue would work, I guess I'll have to try it to find out. Thank you for the tip about using sponges, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Larry

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Kathi and Larry, the pic is of an 18 gallon that is not in use. I did use colors that we have used on active tanks and the fish show well as long you stay light in color. We do have some tanks in light blue and they show fish good also. I have not tried it but the sponge effect in blue would be nice. If you happen to try it I would like to see a pic.

used2bBubbles
07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Andrew, do you remember if you used a darker shade of beige and then a lighter shade or did you use white?

steve.ryall
07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Larry, I just painted one of my tanks sky blue. I just cleaned well, then rollered on the sky blue emulsion. Done in a jiffy, painted and filled in an hour and a half. HTH

Steve

used2bBubbles
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Come on, Steve, LET'S SEE PICTURES!!!! :D

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 04:53 PM
One was beige and the other off white. I used some leftovers that we had used in the house. What ever you use it will look darker with water in the tank so if I can advise, go lighter than you think you need to while still getting some contrast between colors. Also use more of the lighter color than dark. As an example (per Angela's suggestion) we did a similar technique on brown construction paper and used it as a background (in this case you must cover with foil type insulation to keep the water off the paper). This evening I will get a pic through water and without while we water change. This actually looks a lot like rock due to the dimples created by the wet latex on paper. It did dry out nice.

used2bBubbles
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info...I'm planning to do this but I don't want to do it and be unhappy with the results, so I want to be sure I do it so I'll like it.

Can't wait to see your other pictures.

lhforbes12
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Larry, I just painted one of my tanks sky blue. I just cleaned well, then rollered on the sky blue emulsion. Done in a jiffy, painted and filled in an hour and a half. HTH

Steve

Steve,
Yes I saw your tank on another thread and it is very nice. I know how to paint a tank but I was interested in Andrew's technique, since he used sponges. To me it's like doing faux painting and I really like the effect that he got.

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok guys, Angela is wrapping up the changes. Two pics, one above and one below. First one above water.

Green Country Discus
07-03-2006, 07:29 PM
And below.

lhforbes12
07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I REALLY like that Andrew!

freewest
07-04-2006, 04:21 AM
thanks all for the huge response. it was very much appreciated.

tory

steve.ryall
07-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Larry, no problem :)

used2bBubbles
07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Wow! Very cool! Can't believe how different the tank looks without water and with. That was the beige-colored tank, right?

Very cool.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

korbi_doc
07-08-2006, 04:03 PM
:D Andrew, that's a unique approach, looks very nice....mine is the American Accents spray paint from HD or Lowe's....they have sev'l similar brands with varied colors.....since the sprays are $$, I use one coat, then overlay that with an enamel of a similar color to back it up, actually used some hobby paint leftover, close in color...saved some $$ & looks great.....a sienna on the bottom, looks like wet sand, & I forget the name of the other, I just like the speckling effect, looks great in the water.......will do my tanks again when I set up in Tn.....Dottie ;)

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey, Dottie, that looks great! I'm in the process of painting 3 tanks!

Kathi

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:15 PM
For all you "would be" artists, here are some pictures that may cause you to wait before you paint. . . .

I tried to model this after Andrew's, but got carried away with the sponging of the dark color. The dark color, also was way too dark for the background.

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Once I got the latex paint on top of it, it was really ugly. :(

So I got out my trusty razorblade and scraped it all off, cleaned with rubbing alcohol (should have made myself a drink while I was at it) and started again, this time with a softer beige color. I took the beige and lightened it up just a bit with some white. Looked the same before and after water.

lhforbes12
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
For all you "would be" artists, here are some pictures that may cause you to wait before you paint. . . .

I tried to model this after Andrew's, but got carried away with the sponging of the dark color. The dark color, also was way too dark for the background.

Kathi,
I like that look too actually. Did it look bad with water?
<---------- confused

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:24 PM
But I was afraid of what my BDs would look like in it, so today I put them in there to see. (I'm painting their tank meanwhile).

This first picture is during the day with no tank light.

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm so glad you asked, Larry! Here is what it looks like during the day with a poor quality tank light on.

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm still not sure if I like it.....

In the meantime, I decided to go for blue for my 40 gallon tank. Oh, then I got kinda artisty, and here's where you craft people may want to reconsider trying this. . .

This is the first coat of spray sky blue. . . after I added my own little greenery . . . :(

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Here's the finished result, although I have not yet put water or fish in it. I am afraid my BDs will look awful in it. Maybe my blue turks will be ok....

The tank is terribly water spotted -- sorry. And I used a flash, so that doesn't help much either.

I don't think I'll quit my day job and open a gallery....:(

lhforbes12
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Kathi,
Is it the camera or did water actually "flatten" the color out? I still think they all look great! btw I think your BT's would look awesome in #28. Actually what are you getting from Bill? Maybe those would also look good. I can really see some wilds in #28, that would be beautifuf as a background for wilds.

Larry

btw sorry for all the questions but I'm *really* thinkng of doing this soon

used2bBubbles
07-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Larry, you're not asking a lot of questions, and even if you were, that's what forums are for! Silly!

Yea, in spite of one big OOPS when I went overboard with the sponge painting, I think the beige tank looks ok. I just got done painting the 30 gal that the BDs are in now. Just went with all beige, bottom and back. No sponging here and there. I'd love to have one done in the faux marble, but don't know how. I do know someone who does though......

Oh, I'm getting more BTs from Bill. I like them and I think they look like with the BDs. Not a real variety of color, but still, to me, a good mix.

I'll post the "plain" beige tank once it is back in with water, etc. The blue painted tank may have to be overhauled if the blue looks too ugly once there's water in it...

lhforbes12
07-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Larry, you're not asking a lot of questions, and even if you were, that's what forums are for! Silly!

Yea, in spite of one big OOPS when I went overboard with the sponge painting, I think the beige tank looks ok. I just got done painting the 30 gal that the BDs are in now. Just went with all beige, bottom and back. No sponging here and there. I'd love to have one done in the faux marble, but don't know how. I do know someone who does though......

Oh, I'm getting more BTs from Bill. I like them and I think they look like with the BDs. Not a real variety of color, but still, to me, a good mix.

I'll post the "plain" beige tank once it is back in with water, etc. The blue painted tank may have to be overhauled if the blue looks too ugly once there's water in it...

Blue Turqs should look awesome in the blue tanks too. Kathi can you kind of tell I'm a "Turq" fan? <grin>

korbi_doc
07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
:D Kathi, I think it looks nice, fish will look good in it I bet! Here's one my friend painted leaves & stones on the back...interesting point, whenever these fish laid eggs, (2 females were in the tank), they put them on the long green leaves.....Dottie ;)

lhforbes12
07-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Dottie,
That looks very nice! I wouldn't have thought orange and blue would look as nice as that. btw I always try and add a potted Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon Sword Plant) to my breeders tanks. They almost always lay their eggs on the leaves (sometimes on the pot), but always very near the plant. I think it's because wild discus often do this too, lay eggs on plant leaves.

Larry

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I kind of suspected you were a fan of blue turks. Me, too! Trouble is, they should look great in the blue tank, but the blue diamonds might look washed out. I'll just have to see. Right now, the BDs and BTs are in the beige tank and look good.

Hoping I can get my new bts next Friday!!!!! :) :) :D

Dottie, it is obvious your friend was much more talented than I when it comes to painting. My painted plants look like they were done by a 5-year-old. Maybe I'll tell people that!!! :D Yours looks super!

Kathi

freewest
07-09-2006, 04:55 AM
i actually like how you drew in the plants. it was really clean and simple. you didn't go for too much and came out with something that looked good.

used2bBubbles
07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks, fw, the proof will be when I put fish in it!

Kathi

steve.ryall
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Kathi, your blue will be ok with the BD's. My BD looks great against the blue background, if anything it looks better than any other background I have had before.
Lets see your final results ..:)

Steve

used2bBubbles
07-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Steve, I hope you're right. Haven't filled the blue tank yet as it is a 45 gal and I want to use it when I paint my 55 gal. I'm kinda burnt out on painting right now, especially after the poor result with the 2nd beige tank. I can't believe the color went so yellow like that, even with water. Obviously our water isn't a pretty as Angela's and Andrew's. That beige color looked almost turquoise when they added the water. Hey, you didn't add meth blue to that, did you guys???? j/k

I'll post pics when I get the 45 blue tank up and running. May be a while. I've got bruises from hauling the 30s around...