PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

albatross
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
How old are discus before they start pairing up? How can you tell that they have paired up? Does it depend on the ph of the water or is it a matter of maturity or both? I have seven 8 month old discus and all they seem to do is fight. At least I think its fighting.. they line up along each other and wave their bodies and then chase each other. My ph is very high, 8.6, and the water is very hard. They have grown well in this, but I know in order to breed I will need R.O. water. I just wondered if they need the softer water and lower ph to start pairing up. Thank you, Sue

lhforbes12
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
How old are discus before they start pairing up?
Usually at about 12 months give or take. 8 months is unusual but not unheard of.

How can you tell that they have paired up?
Does it depend on the ph of the water or is it a matter of maturity or both? I have seven 8 month old discus and all they seem to do is fight. At least I think its fighting.. they line up along each other and wave their bodies and then chase each other.

Two will spend most of their time together, usually alone. pH doesn't matter as far as the pairing part goes, maturity does. Your description could really be either pairing or just being discus and establishing a "pecking order". If pairing one will usually display for the other, which means it will be in front and do a kind of dance for the other. What you describe sounds more like establishing a pecking order.

My ph is very high, 8.6, and the water is very hard. They have grown well in this, but I know in order to breed I will need R.O. water. I just wondered if they need the softer water and lower ph to start pairing up. Thank you, Sue

Nope

Larry

White Worm
07-10-2006, 02:21 AM
I would have to say that Ph or more specifically Kh / Gh has a little to do with their pairing and breeding behavior just from my experience which is in no way extensive or expert. I see more action when I have softer water but it is not absolutely neccessary. RO would be a very good investment if you decide to breed.

lora
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
What is the reason for using R/O water for breeding?

lhforbes12
07-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Lora,
In hard water generally eggs will not be fertilized because their shells become too hard for sperm to penetrate them. Once fertilized, hardness really doesn't play too big a role, so most people go back to using aged tao water when the fry become free swimming.

Alight
07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
How do you know they are 8 months old? Unless you saw them as eggs, or got them from a fellow hobbiest, they could be as much as a year old, as some (not the ones on this site) breeders claim they're fish are much younger than they really are to hide the fact that the size of the fish is not what it should be.

That said, your fish sound like they are just doing the dominance thing. Pairing fish will do a little "shiver thing" where they will shake their heads and ripple their fins at each other. It's pretty unmistakable once you see it once. They also so a head bowing thing, facing each other that is also very different than the tail bashing thing they do in their dominance battles.

You will sometimes only know that they have paired up when they get together, clean a surface and lay eggs. Other times it's obvious well before the egg laying stage.

Hard water won't prevent pairing, but softer water may encourage it. Soft water (6 GH or under-1-2 best) is necessary for fertilization and hatching. After hatching, harder water seems better (5-6 GH) for at least some fry.

albatross
07-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes I do know how old they are. I did receive them from a fellow hobbiest on another site. He has the best home grown melons around! Some of the ones that I have are very big and some not. I wish I had a camera and was more computer savy! I am hoping that I have a pair out of the seven I received. I guess I am just anxious for the pairing to begin. I know, I know. Patience, patience, patience!!! I guess I'll just have to hurry up and be more patient

Alight
07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Great! You should have some very good luck with these fish. On average I get 2-3 pairs out of 7 young fish. Expect pairing now earlier than a month from now, and possibly as late as 4 months from now.