PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey guys ~ I have lost the pH card that comes with my test kit and I am in need of the color....to see what my pH is in my African tank ~

Something is wrong ~

I tried to Google it but to no avail ~ does someone by any chance have a link that shows instantly all colored charts? I wld appreciate it so much!

Thanks!

Marie ~

Tony_S
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Whats the brand name Marie??

Tony

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh good....

Thanks tony! um...it is large green box and it is Freshwater Master Test Kit... does that help? it comes with those little color chart cards....I have no idea what my pH is w/o that:(

oh Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc, out of canada....

M ~

Tony_S
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Here it is....

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Tony I love you!! Dayum you are quick! Do you realize how many min were in between my request?? That is it! Thank you so much for real tho!

Only I can screw up an African tank man:(

I posted this in the Beginners Sec? wow ~ def trippin ya think? I will see if I can get Frank to move it for me ~ others may need it~

Graham
07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Marie, I'm not sure at what pH you keep your Africans but a lot hobbyists around here, me included for simplicty, keep them at 8.4. Good ole baking soda has a pH of 8.4 and it doesn't matter how much you put in it won't go any higher than that.....KH will keep right on going mind you

Graham,

Tony_S
07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
I tried to Google it but to no avail

I did a google search....;) Try images next time...

Tony I love you!!

Beth said she's gonna kick your ***!!:D

Tony

Ryan
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
They're not really discus tankmates, but they are not discus... so I figured I would move the post to this section.

Marie, what's wrong with your Africans?

lhforbes12
07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what Tony posted but here are both of my AP pH color cards

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I did a google search....;) Try images next time...

Beth said she's gonna kick your ***!!:D

Tony

Oh ******** guys! I do apologize ....I was thinking about that while I was rushing to report my parameters and doing a wc ...."what if this woman takes me seriously..." then I blew it off ~ I think ya knew....

IMAGES...yes! I was worried so I wasnt thinking....Thanks again Tony! And no I dont love your ***!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Marie, I'm not sure at what pH you keep your Africans but a lot hobbyists around here, me included for simplicty, keep them at 8.4. Good ole baking soda has a pH of 8.4 and it doesn't matter how much you put in it won't go any higher than that.....KH will keep right on going mind you

Graham,

Hey Graham...8.4....I know that is ideal but Im afraid not for me....my tap water is 7.6 and all my tanks...it never changes....so when I sat up this tank my friend gave me some gravel that is suppose to raise the pH and I got some ....I forget...oh Crushed Coral rock to put in there....she said that 8 is idea for Africans but...not to worry about it?

My pH is 7.0...in that tank:( That is so not good huh? I think I may cry. This was suppose to be easier :( I have had the day from hell ~ and itz only 2ish here in Cali~

Thanks Graham~

Kindredspirit
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
They're not really discus tankmates, but they are not discus... so I figured I would move the post to this section.

Marie, what's wrong with your Africans?

I can not believe i posted this in the Beg Sec Ryan! I am sorry~ I was looking for it everywhere too ~

I dont know what is wrong ~ I can not get on Sc and I just got on ACF after days ...remember I cleaned my computer well? .... so Mark and Deb are there and Barb ~ So.....okay Ryan check this out:

See the one in the pic ~ he stays there a lot and it seems his breathing is impaired a bit....and that is not like him nor will he go to the top of the tank Ryan! All these guys are like lil piranahs too! He doesnt really swim but floats:(

It all started last night when we saw one of the white ones....Socolofi? floating dead and the lil sh!ts were eating him Ryan! I swear! I had heard they do that...did they just attack him and TO eat him? This tank is right here....and I can see everything... Matt asked me if there was any aggression happening...other than the fact they ATE their peer..that'd be a no....I see nothing really but chasing...?

I did a wc and added Epsoms per Matt at AFC and he isnt hiding anymore like the pic...but...AND: I have cloudy issues again..Im tellin Ryan this tank is F* haunted man! I did take the parameters...obviously hence the thread.... But it clouds up so quick..just a slight haze ~ I do have it overstocked a bit...I was bad ....I told you remember?

And Thanks Larry!!!

Now arent ya glad you asked? I am sad....I am not going to feed them today cuz I was thinking perhaps I over feed? They are soooo hungry all the time ....

Thanks guys for always being here!!

AmberC
07-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Aww Marie... I cant say that I know what is going on, but the chasing is aggression. I dont think they killed him *just* to eat him. I hope you can figure out whats going on hun. That is strange the pH dropped so much. I wonder if that is what did it?

Amber

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Who in the hell knows ~

...and the funniest part Amber is that I have crushed coral and some special gravel that Deb gave me to UP the F* pH ~

I am afraid to turn on the light here in this tank ~ water looks pretty clear tho ~ so many are helping me at AFC ~ I love it there dont you? I finally got back on ~ thanks for that ~ still can't get on Sc tho ~

Tony was so quick in getting me that stupid pH card ~ and now his wife wants to kill me:( ~ Larry too ~ I was NOT in a good mood yesterday make no mistake about that ~

and it wasnt all FISH

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

Graham
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey Graham...8.4....I know that is ideal but Im afraid not for me....my tap water is 7.6 and all my tanks...it never changes....so when I sat up this tank my friend gave me some gravel that is suppose to raise the pH and I got some ....I forget...oh Crushed Coral rock to put in there....she said that 8 is idea for Africans but...not to worry about it?

My pH is 7.0...in that tank:( That is so not good huh? I think I may cry. This was suppose to be easier :( I have had the day from hell ~ and itz only 2ish here in Cali~

Thanks Graham~

Nothing wrong with 7.6 as long as it stays there, which in this case it looks like it didn't...what are the KH numbers...sounds like it ran out:(

G

used2bBubbles
Marie, I think you are due for a good, stiff drink right about now....hey, it's after 5 pm somewhere in the world!!!

Sit back and chill out; you had a stressful day!

Kathi

AmberC
Yeah.. that is why I thought it was strange.. cause of the stuff you have in for upping pH. I saw that huge post at ACF.. I haven't gotten to look thru tho as I had a drs appt early today. I know they'll be able to help ya figure it out tho. They are good :) Same as Simply :)

I hope today goes better for you Marie!

Amber

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Nothing wrong with 7.6 as long as it stays there, which in this case it looks like it didn't...what are the KH numbers...sounds like it ran out:(

G

Hey Graham ~

umm......I do not have testers for KH....never did ...BUT I just took the others and here: Ammonia = 0 * NitrITes =0 * NitrAtes = 10 and pH = 7.6...that sure went up! Ya think?

Check this out Graham....I just discovered and snapped the pic! It wld explain WHY only these two fish are trippin ~ I bet the Epsoms I add last night brought it to pass.... Worms? And...it is STILL hanging there!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

Graham
07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi That looks like a poop casing/membrane with nothing in it......since you added epsom salt/magnesiun sulfate, which is good for consitpation... that might make sense. If it is a casing, and because of the colour, then that might indicate some type of bacterial problem in the gut of the fish.

The epsom salt would have no effect on any worms if the fish had them.

IMO a KH test kit for normal husbandry on one of the best kits to have...as long as you've got some KH you got pH at some reasonable level.

G

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
So.........what wld YOU do? Inquiring minds wanna know:(

tpl*co
07-13-2006, 12:18 PM
If it is worms try some dewormer for it.

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Tina do you think it is? The other one isnt doin well as he is hiding:(

M ~

tpl*co
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to do a deworming or deparasite them. I'm so sorry you are going through this!

Tina

Graham
07-13-2006, 12:37 PM
So.........what wld YOU do? Inquiring minds wanna know:(

I'm assuming that all these fish were fine and that you hadn't added any un-QT'd fish............and then they weren't, not a gradual thing...At which time you checked your pH and found that it was 7.0 down from 7.6....For an african that could be an upsetting drop if it happened quick....akin to a pH crash for them.

Needless to say every fish reacts differently to a drop in pH and this maybe thier way. If it was a parasite then everyone would be affected not just two fish......if it was worms then that would be a gradual thing and not just show up when the pH dropped. I would not nuke the tank with chems based on one fish.

At this point I'd QT him, taking his current water with him, with salt at 0.3>0.4% and try a medicated food ...if he's eating......needless to say prefect water is needed...then see what happens

G

Kindredspirit
07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Thank You Graham! Esp for always returning to help me;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Marie, although I no longer have my Malawi tank (traded the poor buggers for my Reef and now that's gone :( ) I do know a bit about them. :)
What kind of diet do you have for them? That could cause the casing like it is. Also, do some looking around on www.bigalsonline.com, they have a produce that is called Rift Lake Cichlid Salt. I used it in my tank with great results. The salt is not a standard NaCl, it also contains many other trace elements that are essential for Malawi health. Included in those ingredients is Magnesium Sulfate. Just to give you an idea of how much they liked it, I ended up with 2 spawns afer I added the stuff. It will also help you buffer the pH to an 8.2-8.4.

Graham
07-14-2006, 07:08 AM
African salts are extremely easy to make.......

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Kindredspirit
07-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Marie, although I no longer have my Malawi tank (traded the poor buggers for my Reef and now that's gone :( ) I do know a bit about them. :)
What kind of diet do you have for them? That could cause the casing like it is. Also, do some looking around on www.bigalsonline.com, they have a produce that is called Rift Lake Cichlid Salt. I used it in my tank with great results. The salt is not a standard NaCl, it also contains many other trace elements that are essential for Malawi health. Included in those ingredients is Magnesium Sulfate. Just to give you an idea of how much they liked it, I ended up with 2 spawns afer I added the stuff. It will also help you buffer the pH to an 8.2-8.4.

aww... Brad i am sorry your tanks are gone:( I feed them ...dont smack me now...everything pretty much what the two tanks of discus eat ~ so Im thinking some of the bh or fbw may have contributed to this bloat incident IF it was...cuz Brad the tummies were NOT extended but their balance was def off...and there were some that thought that def looked like a worm to them as well ~

My friends over at ACF ( african cichlid forum ) are awesome much like here! I love these lil fish! Mean tho ~ omg ~ I also got them Spirilina Flakes...I know I spelled that wrong... ( hate that ) and some pellets and I will get some greenbeans today! Plus at times I think I over feed them;) Brad they are always hungry!! I do have them on top high quality food but I wld toss some 'meaty' crap in there so they got on me for that!

I will for sure check out your salt!!! Thanks Brad!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Kindredspirit
07-14-2006, 08:02 AM
African salts are extremely easy to make.......

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

and your link too Graham! They really are easy to make....hmm.....sounds like a plan boys!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Ryan
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Marie,

Most of the species profiles I read on socofoli say that they are herbivores, meaning they eat primately vegetation. You might not want to feed so heavily with meaty foods. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time it may be important to incorporate more vegetation into their diet. The spirulina flakes are a good start. There are also different kinds of cichlid pellets. Some sites online say you can blanch dark leafy greens like kale and spinach in hot water and feed those occasionally, like once a week.

Ryan

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Most Lake Malawi Cichlids on the market, with the exception of Haps, are herbivores and should be fed a diet consisting of only 15-30% protein. I would stick with the veggie flakes and also look into mincing some Zuchinni for them once in a while.

Kindredspirit
07-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Marie,

Most of the species profiles I read on socofoli say that they are herbivores, meaning they eat primately vegetation. You might not want to feed so heavily with meaty foods. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time it may be important to incorporate more vegetation into their diet. The spirulina flakes are a good start. There are also different kinds of cichlid pellets. Some sites online say you can blanch dark leafy greens like kale and spinach in hot water and feed those occasionally, like once a week.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I will not feed meaty foods so much trust me:( I have a plan now ~ I actually followed it but just added to it! They are looking much better now! I heard that green beans were good too;)

Kindredspirit
07-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Most Lake Malawi Cichlids on the market, with the exception of Haps, are herbivores and should be fed a diet consisting of only 15-30% protein. I would stick with the veggie flakes and also look into mincing some Zuchinni for them once in a while.

Thanks Brad! I will heed this advice too:D

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Also, if your fish are starting to look a little bloated, cut way back on their feeding and try feeding them peas on occasion. It will help get things moving and clean out their system.

Kindredspirit
07-15-2006, 06:33 AM
Hey Brad ~ I had heard that as well re the peas ~ I had heard frozen tho...no? yes?? Maybe? lol! ~ Now with discus you can SEE that they actually look bloated but they said my African below was bloated ~ however he didnt LOOK to be in that way:confused:

I'm guessin itz dif for Africans as opposed to Discus ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_134.gif

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Probably, I'm not sure about the frozen part other than that's the best kind to use, don't used canned peas. And I wouldn't recommend giving them the peas frozen. I don't think the fish would appreciate a Peacicle. :)

Kindredspirit
07-15-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't think the fish would appreciate a Peacicle. :)

Ya think? I thought it kinda DUMB when I heard it! A Peacicle! That is absolutely hilarious! I love it~

I'm stealin it:D

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_134.gif

Kindredspirit
07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay Ryan ~ whatz your take on this? I just took this pic and apparently the problem is still there...They re not really eating but act like they will ~ I am not sure if it is the same fish of the two...

Do you think it is a worm? Initially it was suggested to me to hit the tank with Metro soaked in pellets...I need to see how long and how much...

What do you think?