PDA

View Full Version : metal halide retrofit in a wooden canopy?

tpl*co
07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Definitely need a retrofit for the wooden canopy and with the odd shape it'll be tough to get the amount of light and the reflectors in there I need for a planted tank. Someone suggested MH but I thought I would need more clearance or ventilation in a wooden canopy but it seems I saw an article that says that Hamilton universal MH retrofits need just 5" clearance with a glass tank? (power compacts and flourescent need 3")? My canopy is taller so it would have a 5" clearance depending on the bulb mount (but would need a fan) also would need to cover the top of the tank since it seems that the bulbs need to be protected from moisture? Has anybody installed a Metal halide in a canopy before and give me the pros and cons? I could possibly go a combo route with that canopy to get the lighting I need.

This will be a deep weird shaped room divider planted tank lol. Also looking power compacts but the space they take to get the wattage may be a PITA also. In addition, the installing the lights on the canopy door may be a hassle for access (and being blinded each time I open it and the cord slack it would require). The tank is 27" deep and is a 135 gallon room divider tank.

Errrr, trying to research retrofit lighting on the web is like looking at smoke and mirrors!

Tina

Dissident
07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
The canopy is way to low for MH. Unless you get a chiller, or add 4 nice sized fans to the canopy.

Typically with MH you want ~12" above the water to get proper light coverage. @12" 1 MH bulb will cover ~2'x2' area with intense light.

I would look at PC or VHO retrofit kits with that hood and tank size.

I have 2x175W MH on my 110gal 30" deep and you do have to keep water off of them or the outer glass will crack. Even at the height I have them mounted at they raise the temp ~10F so I had to add 4 high-speed low-dB fans connected to a laptop PSU.

Although I think MH are great, with your hood I do not think it would be the best route to go for light coverage and heat issues.

You would only need ~400W total to be at 3W/gal = high-light on a tank that size.
-that is assumeing that you want to have a HL/HT planted tank.

//*edit
Not sure on the length and depth of the canopy but I would look at (4-6)x96W PC or a 8x55W PC retro
*//

diablocanine
07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Definitely need a retrofit for the wooden canopy and with the odd shape it'll be tough to get the amount of light and the reflectors in there I need for a planted tank. Someone suggested MH but I thought I would need more clearance or ventilation in a wooden canopy but it seems I saw an article that says that Hamilton universal MH retrofits need just 5" clearance with a glass tank? (power compacts and flourescent need 3")? My canopy is taller so it would have a 5" clearance depending on the bulb mount (but would need a fan) also would need to cover the top of the tank since it seems that the bulbs need to be protected from moisture? Has anybody installed a Metal halide in a canopy before and give me the pros and cons? I could possibly go a combo route with that canopy to get the lighting I need.

This will be a deep weird shaped room divider planted tank lol. Also looking power compacts but the space they take to get the wattage may be a PITA also. In addition, the installing the lights on the canopy door may be a hassle for access (and being blinded each time I open it and the cord slack it would require). The tank is 27" deep and is a 135 gallon room divider tank.

Errrr, trying to research retrofit lighting on the web is like looking at smoke and mirrors!

Tina

Call Kim at AH Supply, tell him tank dimensions and canopy height, he will hook you up.....DC

Westie
07-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I had 2-175w halides on my salt set up. Wood canopy with 6"? clearance. 4" fans on either side. Had no problems other than salt build up.

p.s. for sale w/o canopy!

lhforbes12
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Tina,
Have you had the canopy actually on the tank yet? In looking at your photo it looks to me like there would be zero clearance when it is sitting on the tank.

tpl*co
07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Yes, I've had it on my tank, there is actually a little lip on the canopy so that it raises it above the tank (kinda like a hat, LOL.