PDA

View Full Version : open pore sopnge

LizStreithorst
07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
My sweetie and I are putting in a fish room for our breeders. I'm going to need more sponge filters. I know how to make them, but I don't know where to go to buy open pore sopnge and how to tell the difference between the two. Can anyone help?

lhforbes12
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Liz,
Jehmco sells replacement sponges for the Hydros
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/hydro-sponge_filters.html
I imagine a Wal-Mart or fabric store would sell open pore foam.

Larry

Graham
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Try this Liz

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/21854/cid/1271

LizStreithorst
07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Larry,
I didn't explain myself clearly. I want to make my own.

I can take a block of sponge, glue it to a piece of slate, cut a hole in the middleof the sponge, insert a drilled out PVC pipe, put in an airline, and POOF I have a fine *** sponge filter that costs next to nothing. (we got our slate for free)

What I don't know is how to tell open pore sponge from closed pore. And what store would I go to to find it.

Tony_S
07-18-2006, 06:52 AM
What I don't know is how to tell open pore sponge from closed pore.

Liz

The easiest way to tell, is to squeeze it. Open pore sponge will spring back immediately. Closed pore takes longer to spring back.

A good example of closed pore sponge is cheap disposible ear plugs.

Tony

LizStreithorst
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Give Steve Rebeckie a shout at www.angelsplus,com He sells it in 2'x2' squares 4" thick. Beautiful to work with. Does the job as well. Lou

I will call him. I really need 4X4X4. But I'm getting some Angels in from him tomorrow!

Mr. Limpet
07-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Liz,
The LMS replacement sponge that Angels plus sells are great.
At $2.25 a piece, you can't go wrong, and they are 4"x4"x4", and pre-drilled
for the lift tube, which you can make out of 1/2 inch PVC. Just glue the slate on the bottom. I have over 20 of these and price wise, you just can't beat them. And, they are real workhorses. I have 3 running a 120 gallon tank with 7 adult Discus and a dozen assorted friends, and it sparkles.
I rinse one of the three every couple weeks and then a different one the next time. They hold a ton of junk.
The only complaint that I have heard are that they sit directly
on the bottom of the tank and can accumulate some debris under them,
but that has never bothered me. And no, I am not associated with Angels Plus in any way, I just like their filters.
Take Care,
Paul.