PDA

View Full Version : Waaaaaaa :( Rams Killed My Favourite Discus Today

Dillan
07-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I have, er had 2 kinda stunted discus, one of them a brilliant Blue Diamond that was the 2nd discus I ever bought, before I knew what those big eyes meant (I thought it was cute but know better now...)

Anyway, I had these 2 separated from my main crew who are getting pretty large now. I got a pair of baby Bolivian Rams to bunk with them.

Well, the Rams spawned last week and these previously passive little fish have been aggressively guarding their eggs and fry since then. I came home this afternoon and my BD was dead. What a piss off. They'll prolly kill the other stunted little discus overnight... sigh... it's a fish that should have been culled by the breeder anyway.

Ruthless hobby sometimes, eh?

D

Kindredspirit
07-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Dillan how do you know the Rams killed the discus? You just found it dead upon ret home?

I suppose to protect itz young anything is possible ~ I am sorry for you:(

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_13.gif

hexed
07-20-2006, 01:29 AM
SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS but rams are like any other cichlid when breeding. I have an adult golden ram in my QT tank with all my new longfin corys and all day long it attacks them. No so innocent I think. Two against one is not good odds

Dillan
07-20-2006, 01:31 AM
well, I don't KNOW I guess... the discus did have a chronic infection in its gills, prolly what stunted it I figgered. Anyway, I do feel bad about putting them together now.

I put the Ram fry in a hanging plastic container in the parents' tank so I could feed them, so the neons in there wouldn't eat them, and so they wouldn't get sucked into the filter. I hope that was the right thing to do -- sure seems to be driving the Rams crazy!

Kindredspirit
07-20-2006, 03:01 AM
well, I don't KNOW I guess... the discus did have a chronic infection in its gills,

Did you ever treat that infection Dillan? Something you may want to consider next time around ~ Again sorry for your loss~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_13.gif

AmberC
07-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I am sorry you lost him :( Its always hard to loose fish :(

I *am* however a bit skeptical that it was the rams alone that killed him. I mean.. it may have been! Like Marie said anything is possible, but I've had a lot of ram experience and always kept em with discus. Just how small WERE these runts? I've been attacked pretty ferociously by some gaurding rams and I just dont see how they could kill a healthy discus. But... I could be way off too.

Amber