PDA

View Full Version : Low-Light Aquarium Plants List

Dissident
07-20-2006, 05:46 PM
It seems a lot more people are looking into the low-tech/low-light & Potted Discus tanks. I hope we can work together to put together a list of plants that will fit these needs to help our members.

I know this is not a complete list but it should be a good start. If you have plants to add post them and I will update the list. Please include common and Latin names.

The plants on the list should follow these basic rules:

Warmer Temps 80F-86F
Low-Light 2-2.5W/gal
Do not require CO2
Do not require Ferts (root ferts are OK)

Anubias
Adubias on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubias)
Gracilis (Anubias gracilis)
Petite Nana (Anubias Pygmy Nana)
Anubias Afzelii (Anubias Afzelii)
Caladiifolia (Anubias barteri v Caladiifolia)
Anubias barteri v angustifolia
Lanceolota (Anubias lanceolota)
Congensis (Anubias ‘Congensis’)
Gigantea (Anubias gigantea)
Barteri Round Leaf (Anubias barteri v. ‘Round Leaf’)
Hastifolia (Anubias hastifolia)
Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’)
Coffeefolia (Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia’)
Frazeri (Anubias 'Frazeri')
Gilletii (Anubias gilletii)
Gracilis (Anubias gracilis)

Sagittaria
Sagittaria on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittaria)
Subulata, Dwarf (Sagittaria subulata

Stem
Green Temple Narrow (Hygro Corombosa)
Green Temple ''angustifolia'' (Hygrophilia corymbosa)
Red Temple (Alternanthera reineckii (V. rosaefolia)
Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Sword
Echinodorus on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinodorus)
Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ‘Ozelot’)
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Green Melon Sword (Echinodorus Osiris)
Narrow Leaf Chain Sword (Echinodorus tennelus)
Broad Leaf Chain Sword (Echinodorus quadricostatus)
Amazon Compacta Sword (Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta')
Rosette Sword (Echinodorus Parviflorus V. Tropica)
Oriental Sword (Echinodorus "Oriental")
Red Mellon Sword (Echinodorus "Barthii")

Aponogetons
Aponogeton on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aponogeton)
Aponogeton crispus
Aponogeton Natans (Aponogeton natans)
Rigidifolius (Aponogeton rigidifolius)

Cryptocrynes
Cryptocryne on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocoryne)
Balansae (Cryptocoryne crispatula)
Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. ‘Tropica’)
Spiralis (Cryptocoryne spiralis)
Crypt Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea)
Walkeri (Cryptocoryne crispatula)
Cryptocoryne blasii

Vallisneria
Vallisneria on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallisneria)
Contortion Vals (Vallisneria asiatica)
Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana)

Moss
Moss Balls/Marimo Balls/Tribbles (Cladophora aegagropila)
Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana)
Taiwan Moss (Taxiphyllum alternans)

Microsorium
Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
Java Fern, Lace (Microsorium pteropus v. ‘'Windelov')

Other
Tiger Lotus, Green (Nymphaea zenkeri)
Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)
Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
Crinum, "Onion Plant" (Crinum thaianum)
Crinum calamistratum (Crinum calamistratum)
Water lettuce ( Pistia stratiotes )
Pelia (Monosolenium tenerum)
Bolbitus (Bolbitus heudelotii)

lhforbes12
07-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Very nice list, I could add to it, especially the Crypts, but I don't know how well they do without pressurized CO2.

wolfbane
07-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Hygrophilia angustifolia

Alight
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Diss, I second many of the plants you listed (I have grown the Amazon Swords and crypts and H. Corombosa aka Green temple and some others). I can also add Red Temple (Alternanthera reineckii (V. rosaefolia).

Al Light

Dissident
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Hygrophilia angustifolia

Isn't that 'Green Temple'
Hygrophila corymbosa ''angustifolia''

Someone correct me if I am wrong (I did update the list to read:

There are so many Hygrophila corymbosa species of plants its hard to know sometimes ;)

lhforbes12
07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Echinodorus "Oriental"
E. "barthii" Red Mellon
E. "Ozelot"

marilyn1998
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
You named every plant I have had!!! Amazing!

lhforbes12
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Doesn't this need higher light? I know mine doesn't do well unless it's in a high light area

Dissident
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Doesn't this need higher light? I know mine doesn't do well unless it's in a high light area

I thought they did ok in 2W/gal
I have never kept them in any of my tanks.

Tropica has them listed as:
Light requirements: very low-high

I'll look into this one a little more

lhforbes12
07-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I thought they did ok in 2W/gal
I have never kept them in any of my tanks.

Tropica has them listed as:
Light requirements: very low-high

I'll look into this one a little more

<shrug> Mine gets diatoms and stringy in low light, actually now that you mention it I need to find the darn thing, I think it's in the 26 LoL

wolfbane
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Sorry Diss, never heard this plants common name, it has grassy leaves along the stem. Grows fast and well.

newlinta
07-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Are there really no other low light mosses? I have a 72 gallon (bowfront)...I'd like to put some moss on a few pieces of driftwood/rocks...lighting is LOW(only 2 40watt flourescent bulbs and no co2)...I'm not a huge fan of java moss. Would any riccia work if the driftwood puts it at the top of the tank? How about rocks on the bottom? Suggestions?!? I already have a few swords,java ferns,dwarf lillies and ludwiga that are doing well...

Tim

tpl*co
07-21-2006, 11:20 AM

I have trouble with my moss balls disintegrating and falling appart (and changing colors and just not doing well, I think it is the temperatures). Riccia on the other hand grows like a weed and does even better than the java moss in my tank (again it may be temperatures since the java in a lower temp tank grows like weeds). The trouble is it likes to break off and go float on the top. I would add riccia as a definite yes on this list!

Tina

Dissident
07-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Are there really no other low light mosses? I have a 72 gallon (bowfront)...I'd like to put some moss on a few pieces of driftwood/rocks...lighting is LOW(only 2 40watt flourescent bulbs and no co2)...I'm not a huge fan of java moss. Would any riccia work if the driftwood puts it at the top of the tank? How about rocks on the bottom? Suggestions?!? I already have a few swords,java ferns,dwarf lillies and ludwiga that are doing well...

Tim

Most mosses do not survive above 80F for a tank temp. I have tried a few in my high-tech tank and had very little luck with them. I have tried; weeping, tiwainse, singapore, Xmas, and java. Java was the only one that did ok, not great, but ok. I don't like java moss so i took it out. Fissden should be able to handle the temp and low light but it is too expensive for me to justify experimenting with. Pellia might be worth a try.

tpl*co
07-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Are there any good local (US) sources of Fissiden out there?

Dissident
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
aquabid is the only one I have found, there is a US seller on there on occasion. One of the guy's on there selling it (outside of US) has had some issues that I have reada about on some of my planted tank forums I goto.

hexed
07-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I ordered fissiden from one of the sellers on aquabid and received teeny tiny 1/8 pieces of leaves. The seller told me to tie them to the driftwood but I replied I cannot see them to tie them. Most of the oversea's sellers do not send you a plant, but pieces of plant. I ordered pellia for my tank and got what looked like shredded lettuce, lots of it. The seller told me to tie them to mesh to get them to grow. Now I am trying another seller who said they will ship me pellia flats at 5x5 inches - lets see what arrives LOL.

Tina,
It depends on what type of fissiden your looking for. The one that I bought was shaped like maple leaves according to the pic on the auction but that was not what arrived, just tiny pieces. I did get another kind from a seller in Canada, beautiful plants but they turned from dark green to pale white in my tanks. I bought 5 clumps, one for each tank and all did the same --- even the one in my 10 gallon. I decided to wait til my 150 is completely done with the C02 and then see what happens to the fissiden :)
Frank

Dissident
07-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I would be curious to know how well fissden does in that 85F range for water temp. People claim it does fine upwards of 86F but I don't trust aquabid sellers much. Let me know how that other fissden supplier is, I would be intersted in getting some for my LT and HT tank.

Ed13
07-22-2006, 10:12 PM

I've never been able to grow these plants( with proper results) with less than 2.5 watts a gallon, CO2 or ferts. They have grown but with flaws. Unfurtunately I may not get much of a chance to try them again since many of the plants on the list are illegal to import.

Dissident
07-22-2006, 10:56 PM

I've never been able to grow these plants( with proper results) with less than 2.5 watts a gallon, CO2 or ferts. They have grown but with flaws. Unfurtunately I may not get much of a chance to try them again since many of the plants on the list are illegal to import.

I have grown Green Temple (or at least kept it alive for a long time) in 1.8 W/gal.
The reineckii I am a little hesitant on saying would be a good low-light/low-tech plant to keep. I definatly agree with you there. Just to keep it a nice red can be a pain ;)