PDA

View Full Version : MY LAST BB is leaving now....!!

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey Guys ~

Here are some teasers...lol! I just got home with my clay Marilyn and Larry! My last bb is about to bite the dust!! I am very excited! Marilyn did you say you rinsed this stuff or no? It only cost me $10.49 for this huge bag! ( and one pair of slippers:( ) Thanks so much for that link;)

How thick did you guys put it? I got two real plants ~ they will no doubt die so........

What do you guys think ...I wanted to add some Rams to this tank ~ but I only have like 9 or 10 and they are all together ~ is 5 a too small amount to be alone? I thought I read some where or someone told me that that amount wld be too small and wld cause a lot of problems?

I will be back to update soon to show progress:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

My New Substrate!
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_9315WinCE.jpgSome new 'toys' I bought! ( even got two REAL plants )
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_9317WinCE.jpgThe "now'" look!
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_9356WinCE.jpgI wanted to add some Rams in too....
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_9276SmallSmallWinCE.jpgI want to add him in from my African tank...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_7446SmallWinCE.jpg

diskboy
07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
i like the fishies and have fun building lol

White Worm
07-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Decided to go with this instead of sand? I must have missed that discussion. Was it just for price or you wanted something other than sand or is it because you want to try your hand at some real plants? The reason I ask is because I am also converting the BB to something.....just havent decided which way yet. Does it come in different colors and where did ya get it? Mike

White Worm
07-22-2006, 06:10 PM
There are like 5-6 different types? How do you know which one to get?

http://www.premierturf.com/proschoice.html

I see you got the select series? Why?

Dood Lee
07-22-2006, 07:08 PM
The select series has a more uniform grain size, and is much more in line with the kind of gravel you would put in an aquarium. IIRC, Soilmaster mainly comes in charcoal (black), and red, although I have heard of a green color.

marilyn1998
07-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Marie,

I used a pail, a strainer and a garden hose to rinse it. It is a must. Also, when you add the water to the tank, try to not run it directly onto the clay as it will go chocolate soda for you. It will clear really quick though.

I would go 3" deep. The rams are great in it! 5-6 or more are a good number.

My rams SPAWNED today!!!! so I guess they like it alot! What plants did you get???? names and pics please!!

Pour the water on it using a plate to diffuse the stream, or pour it on the sponge filter and let it drip from there. Either way, your HOT magnum will clear it up in less than an hour!!! I want pics!!! DiId you get the red???

Micksus,

find my thread Finally Potless!!!!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=51883&highlight=potless

Here is the thread to the LEsco area:

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=080310

I did my first water change today, and what a difference!!! just skim the top and all is done!!! CLEAN< CLEAR water....

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Thank You Kevin!!! How have you been? Do tell child:) How are your discus Frank gave you? We have missed you here!

Marilyn ~ I did it eh? I got the RED clay Mike ~ check out Marilyn's link to her tank! I have sand now in one 55gal and the Goby tank and black gravel in my African and ALMOST this stuff in my LAST BB http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_2.gif

Thanks for all the tips Sis ~ I so can not wait to do this:) but it is so F* hot here that you simply can not move and I have excellent air!!! I am working tonight another graveyard til 3AM so I will do this tank tomorrow ~ if tonight goes without incident:(

Marilyn I dont have my HOT MAG on that tank babe:( Itz on the other one....Is my water gonna look all crappy for a while?

I do not do crappy water very well:mad:

White Worm
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
According to the site, it comes in red, green, brown, and charcoal. Can you add it straight to tank (BB) that is already full of water and fish or would that be a huge mess. Of course I would lower water level to adjust for added height. With sand, you can just add while fish are there right (after rinsing)? I'm guessing this has no reaction in regards to tank parameters or hardness but does help with live plants?

AmberC
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Very cool Marie!! Sorry about the slippers! I cannot wait to see the final pics when your done! :D So is that gargoyle going in the tank too? Or just the driftwood? ;)

Amber

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 08:49 PM
So is that gargoyle going in the tank too?
Amber

I know! I just noticed that Amber!! He is not for the tank:o He is cool tho huh? I love him!

Mike ~ I am going to rinse and clean it and pour it in:D Like I did/do/have with everything else ~

Ya think some day I will be 100% satisfied with ANY tank?? That'd be a Hell No!

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 08:51 PM
DiId you get the red???

Yup:D The ONLY reason I like it! I love the color!

Kenny's Discus
07-22-2006, 08:54 PM
What Marie no more BBs? You're saying you gonna leave me all hanging out there by myself with all my BBs?:angry:

To borrow your phrase "I see how it is":D

Joking aside have fun decorating this LAST bb tank of yours Marie!

Kenny

marilyn1998
07-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Mike,
You get what your local store has in stock. SO do the "stocking" link on a sight near you. Most have the red. Charcoal is the next. Never seen the green or brown in stock. DOnt know how long it takes for a special order.

I wouldn't add it directly to the tank with fish in it. Rinse it first. It does expand as it holds the water. And it does make a murky mess. Not for long though Marie... mine was gone quickly. WIth good filtration I would think no longer than an hour or so. You can see enough to plant the plants. But it gets CRYSTAL really quick.

OH Yeah: TIP::::::::: dont fill with water much higher than the substrate level as it leaves a water mark you will have to clean off. Kinda like a soap scum line? It is EASY to clean off though. If you want to add water high enough to reach easily to clean, THEN plant, that works too. I just used my sponge and it came off.

I think that is all. MArie, it DOES get murky...... and bubbles of air release a bit as the fish start to swim because it is lightweight. But I didnt see many. If you see them, dont worry, that is all it is. Lasted maybe 5 minutes??

I love this stuff. And my fish kinda played in it getting used to the feel. IT was cool to watch.

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 09:01 PM
What Marie no more BBs? You're saying you gonna leave me all hanging out there by myself with all my BBs?:angry:

Kenny

Thats why I need to stay away from YOU! And all those babies:)

Hey Kenny ~ I need to talk to you if you get a min later? or now?

I am leaving for work at 9 tho ~

Marie ~

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Kenny ~ I need to talk to you if you get a min later? or now?
Marie ~

I had just hit the 'submit' button and there you were:)

Thanks Kenny~

xo

M ~

Kenny's Discus
07-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I had just hit the 'submit' button and there you were:)

Thanks Kenny~

xo

M ~

That's why you can't ever get away from me:D Now go back to BBs!!! (j/k)

You're most welcome Marie.
Kenny

Kindredspirit
07-22-2006, 10:08 PM
The select series has a more uniform grain size, and is much more in line with the kind of gravel you would put in an aquarium. IIRC, Soilmaster mainly comes in charcoal (black), and red, although I have heard of a green color.

Dood ~ Green? Really? It was so hot in this bldg where ya go to pick this product up ~ itz like a huge warehouse WITH NO AIR:mad: This poor gentleman who worked there was turning into a puddle real quick and it was only 9:20AM ~ My heart went out for him ~ he was clearly miserable ~ and the day was young ~ I had to wait in my car while he got the lift and got the item down as I cld not take it ~

anyhoo......

He was telling me that people buy this at this product at times more so for aquariums then itz intended purpose ....which I have no idea what that even is!!...come to think about it!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_8.gif

lesley
07-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Hi Marie,

I don't think you will ever go back. Although my latest tank is with plants on the wood and I am going to try and hang them off the back wall as well, but plan to keep the floor unplanted to make cleaning easier, it still has lots of plants, and, of course, driftwood.

I find that the discus are always doing something in a tank with plants and driftwood - they love stalking their prey (usually frozen brine shrimp or beef heart mix through the driftwood and the plants and spend their days happily pecking around the tank.

Lesley

Kindredspirit
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks Lesley! Have you posted any pictures of your set up? I wld love to see some!! The only way I wld ever go back if I were to get more discus ~ babies ~

having said that....after 11months - 15months I thought it okay to go UN- bb ~ but as it was suggested to me earlier I may need to re-consider my decision:(

Marie ~

tpl*co
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Kenny

Hey Kenny, still bb here too, but I have pots :) Where did you get the stuff from Marie?

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Hey Kenny, still bb here too, but I have pots :) Where did you get the stuff from Marie?

Tina

Hey You ~ I drove all the way out to ROCKLIN....which Tina....they SAID it was ROSEVILLE....but...that'd be a NO! It wasnt that bad but it is just a giant warehouse and NO AIR....which quite frankly I have had enuff of:mad: :mad:

Lesco is the company name Tina~ really easy to find ~ scroll down for some links ~ call me ~ or come OVER ~ gotta get your meds?? lol!!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_8.gif

Dood Lee
07-23-2006, 05:04 PM
He was telling me that people buy this at this product at times more so for aquariums then itz intended purpose ....which I have no idea what that even is!!...come to think about it!!

It's turf material for use in sports fields.

diskboy
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
love to see some picks and i will tell about my fish later ok have fun planting

tpl*co
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Marie,

I don't think you should add that chinese algae eater in there from your african tank. They get mean and big and could attack your discus, plus I'm not too sure of the temp if it may be too high in a discus tank.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey Marie,

I don't think you should add that chinese algae eater in there from your african tank. They get mean and big and could attack your discus, plus I'm not too sure of the temp if it may be too high in a discus tank.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm

Tina

Thanks Tina!! Others had said so too! I so need something tho:( ...that wouldnt require QT which there isnt anything so forget it:(

lesley
07-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Well you did ask for pics! this tank is still evolving, we need lots more plants but I do want to keep the bottom clear if I can..

lesley
07-25-2006, 05:51 AM
there goes the neighbourhood!

lesley
07-25-2006, 05:52 AM
well now the neighbourhood is going!

lesley
07-25-2006, 05:56 AM
they ar always active

lesley
07-25-2006, 06:03 AM
lastly.

lesley
07-25-2006, 06:07 AM
but one... have just gt these guys, lousy pic, but I can't wait to see them in the big tank!

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Is the red really bright red in person? I'm thinking brown, but I dunno.It would be alot of work to redo that big 150 of mine. Hubby wants to move in a year or so, maybe that would be something to think about, good time to redo then.

Lesley, nice tank! What type of plecos are those?

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey Deb ~ I am actually doing this tank as we speak! I popped into my office to read some of Marilyn's tips....

This stuff is a trip! I thought it was heavy so when i put it in my bucket I grabbed it w/ both hands like it was sand...omg!! Marilyn is prolly busting up:) It is soooooooo light weight!! And light in color ..........til you get it wet and then itz deep red!!

I love it!!

Kelly Great PIctures woman!!! I will be back to comment!

M ~

architect1
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I noticed your soilmaster. Does it work? Did you have to clean it? How long did it take for it to seddle befor you could put your discus in?

And how does the bambo grow in the water? does it sprout its leaves under water like it does aout of water?

Beautiful tank. I'm thinking about the soilmaster to. but I'm in canada and its going to cost dubble or triple.

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Lesley,
That is a very beautiful tank!

Architect1,
Even if you can't get Soil Master Select in Canada (which I would be very suprised to find out that you couldn't) it would still be a bargain at double or triple the price. One 50 piund bag (about 23 kilos) will easily do two 55 gallon tanks, and costs around $16 US.

Marie,
I see you washed your SMS. I have never bothered. The funny thing is, the first tank remained perfectly clear without rinsing. The second tank became a little clouded. The third tank became VERY clouded. I think in my case this is because the bags were sitting in our garage during the winter, and the cold did something to the SMS, or it could merely be that sitting in the garage meant it was moved around a lot.

Larry

architect1
07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
what no way is that big of a bag. So would it fill my 100g tall to 3 inches? I wasn't sure how much it fill in. I was looking on the net and couldn't find it. I will look around on the weekend in homedepot and places like that.

I was also wondering how long did it take to settle befor you put the fish in? I got a 55g with a spawning pair of discus. and I don't want to have my other discus in with them for to long.

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Prolly all the fine stuff in the bottom half of the bag Larry

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I'M DONE!!! It looks sooooooooo good guys!!! I love it!! I have not even used ...well put it this way ....I used almost a bucket full ~ a standard bucket like one wld use to wash a car with....I used almost all of that...

I have sooooooo much left over! Pics soon:p Larry you didnt rinse it?? Dayum...If I hadnt it would be very cloudy....besides I kinda like rinsing;) Makes your hands really soft:)

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
what no way is that big of a bag. So would it fill my 100g tall to 3 inches? I wasn't sure how much it fill in. I was looking on the net and couldn't find it. I will look around on the weekend in homedepot and places like that.

I was also wondering how long did it take to settle befor you put the fish in? I got a 55g with a spawning pair of discus. and I don't want to have my other discus in with them for to long.

One bag is all you probably need. 1 1/2 bags did my 125 to 4". If you rinse it well it wont take any time to settle.

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 02:00 PM
...And where's the pics Marie?? C'mon now, don't hold out on us!
Seriously, let me know how it works out.

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I kinda want to wait til the 'dust' settles! They are not happy with me but I know they are hungry!! ...as may some others:(

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Prolly all the fine stuff in the bottom half of the bag Larry

Deb,
I would agree with you except that what I really meant was, the first bag stayed clear, the second bag was a little cloudy, the third bag was very cloudy. I do agree with you that most likely the second and third bags had gotten more "shook up" and since this is a somewhat soft material (another reason I love it so much is that it can't scratch your glass) it probably did get broken up a bit in the last two bags.

Larry

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 02:05 PM
I'M DONE!!! It looks sooooooooo good guys!!! I love it!! I have not even used ...well put it this way ....I used almost a bucket full ~ a standard bucket like one wld use to wash a car with....I used almost all of that...

I have sooooooo much left over! Pics soon:p Larry you didnt rinse it?? Dayum...If I hadnt it would be very cloudy....besides I kinda like rinsing;) Makes your hands really soft:)

Marie,
As you can see after you posted this, I really should have rinsed mine too. I'm glad you like the look!

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh and I forgot....My two only plants died:( I put them in another tank til I got to this one and ******** ...A green thumb I do not have ...now they are all brown and gross!

I will have to move this thread now to the Planted Crap and Show Tank Sec:o But it looks really good I think! And I am not getting anymore real plants ~ have had four ...Im done:mad:

M ~

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Oh and I forgot....My two only plants died:( I put them in another tank til I got to this one and ******** ...A green thumb I do not have ...now they are all brown and gross!

I will have to move this thread now to the Planted Crap and Show Tank Sec:o But it looks really good I think! And I am not getting anymore real plants ~ have had four ...Im done:mad:

M ~

They died????? ALREADY?????? You had them for like, 3 days...
Did anyone mention to you to NOT put them in boiling water? <ducking>

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Hide Larry, Quick!!
Marie, like fish, plants get stressed with some changes, try again girl, if I can do it, anyone can!!

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Hide Larry, Quick!!
Marie, like fish, plants get stressed with some changes, try again girl, if I can do it, anyone can!!

<------------ Hiding

<psssst Debbie... thanks for the advice>

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 03:08 PM
They died????? ALREADY?????? You had them for like, 3 days...
Did anyone mention to you to NOT put them in boiling water? <ducking>

Well cuz I put them in my other 55gal that that lot stronger lights? or no? Whatever ~ they are DEAD! and they are not cheap Larry:mad:

But My tank looks awesome!!! I want to take a pic but itz still a little cloudy!

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Marie, when the weather cools off I can send you some Hygro angustifolia, easy stuff to keep.

architect1
07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
After the dust settles its ok to put the fish back in? Good to hear I will try later and tell you how it all works out. i really want to see your tank though the finish product should be awsome.

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Arch ~ I didnt take out my fish babe when I added the substrate;) You do not have to do that ~ My tank is almost completely clear!!

Pics soon!

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Marie, when the weather cools off I can send you some Hygro angustifolia, easy stuff to keep.

Yeah? Can I kill it easily? Cuz I will:( But that is great!! Got a pic?

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I don't have any close shots Marie, but it the grassy looking stuff in the back of the tank, beginning to cover the surface. It's an easy to root stem plant.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=51983

diskboy
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
come on pics marie.....!!! :D :D :D

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Marie,
I'd offer you some plants Marie, but last time I did I didn't even get a reply back :p
Hmmmmm I wonder if you could kill H. difformis, or Cryptocoryne wendtii?

Debbie,
We'll make an aquatic plant person out of her yet!

Larry

tpl*co
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
How does that stuff do in pots? Do you have any left that I can try Marie? What makes this stuff better than some of the other substrates like Eco complete? (hmmm, if it is that fine I guess one benifit is that it holds the plant roots in place?).

Do those plants of yours still have roots? Were they crypts? If they were and still have roots don't throw them out, crypts notoreously "melt" when conditions change and will come back again when they feel comfortable :). Just leave them alone for a while. If they weren't crypts and they still have roots do the same, take off the melted stuff and leave them and watch them.

Tina

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
How does that stuff do in pots? Do you have any left that I can try Marie? What makes this stuff better than some of the other substrates like Eco complete? (hmmm, if it is that fine I guess one benifit is that it holds the plant roots in place?).

Do those plants of yours still have roots? Were they crypts? If they were and still have roots don't throw them out, crypts notoreously "melt" when conditions change and will come back again when they feel comfortable :). Just leave them alone for a while. If they weren't crypts and they still have roots do the same, take off the melted stuff and leave them and watch them.

Tina

Tina,
The main advantage over Eco is cost, SMS costs about a tenth of what Eco costs. I think it actually holds plants better too. It's basically the same thing but made for golf courses and ball fields, not aquariums... so it's cost is MUCH less. btw all of my pictures of the 125 show SMS in grey.

Larry

Hmmmmmm... I think I know someone with a brand new 130 gallon that could use some SMS

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
How does that stuff do in pots?

I have no idea Tina ~ I have no pots:p

Do you have any left that I can try Marie?

I have tons!! Want some?

What makes this stuff better than some of the other substrates like Eco complete?
(hmmm, if it is that fine I guess one benifit is that it holds the plant roots in place?).
Tina

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_20_2.gif

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Marie,
I'd offer you some plants Marie, but last time I did I didn't even get a reply back :

You did? Well I am so sorry about that Larry http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_56.gif

Hmmmmm I wonder if you could kill H. difformis, or Cryptocoryne wendtii?Larry

Oh .... I would NEVER kill that plant! What the hell is it??

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey Larry! We can try! All that nice substrate, it just calls out for plants!
Marie, remind me when the weather cools to send you some, I haven't killed any yet, and I even trade some at the LFS. And If Larry sends some more easy stuff, Woo-Hoo, you could be looking at a nice planted tank in no time.

hexed
07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Where's the pics woman?

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 06:59 PM
It all sounds great guys:p

But...

I dont wanna have to use special lights and fertilizers and have green water and Co2......inject that and add this and I need more air and less lights ....

Ya Know??

I dont want to have to worry about the PLANTS... along with the fish and water and filters and parameters .......

So .......YOU TWO........if we can KISS it??? Im game:D

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Where's the pics woman?

Im comin I'm comin......they may still be blurry tho:(

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Woo hoo MArie!!! NO need to worry about the plants. IF you have light from the regular strip that comes with the tank, then it is low. If you keep less than 2 watts per gallon, no need really for ferts or higher light. And I DONT do CO2. We can help you get the plants that ROOT feed, you can use jobe's plant sticks!!! THen you dont need to worry!!! ANd if the plants are free.... no extra cost. IF they dont do well, pull them, and ask us for more clippings! Mine are getting big enough in another month I will need to trim em and can send you ones i KNOW wont cause you trouble. ONce I lowered my lights, I have had no troulbes at all.

MArie, so glad you love it!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until you see how LITTLE cleaning this tank takes!!!! I am amazed. And everything in it is spawning! SO they must like it too!!!

PICS PICS PICS PICS:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tina, you can put the stuff in pots for sure!

Architect, the stuff absorbs water, so it kinda grows some. A half bag di my 90 gallon to 3 inches.

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Okay Guys! Careful whatcha ask for ~ the water is still a little cloudy and I take whole tank shots about as well as I keep live plants! I think that the discus take on some of the red from the soil cuz the Golden x ...you can see some more reddish tones to him ~ and....the tank LOOKS bigger IMO....ya think? Or.....optical illusion?

Marilyn I love it so much!!! I want to do all my tanks ~ Oh ******** huh?

I still have some tweeking to do ~ Also...three of these fish I just moved to this tank last week ....and my Tang and the other one were not pleased....but NOW they are doing so much better!! I swear guys they SEEM happier with all this crap in there:)

......now thatz prolly an ILLUSION:D

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_0134Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_0133Small-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_0118Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/CopyofIMG_0029Small.jpg

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh MArie! I just love it!!!! And yes, I think the fish DO love it too! Mine looked so much bigger too. I couldnt beleive the difference in the fish, the tank, the plants!!! And in one week, I am looking at my pics and the tank now, I think EVERYTHING grew!!!! My fish seem bigger, as well as the plants are about 2" taller on the right side. And I have LOW light slow growing setup!!!

Put some rams in there.... and a RLV. THEN watch them all! THey seem to love to play!!!

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Put some rams in there.... and a RLV. THEN watch them all! THey seem to love to play!!!

Ya think? I wanted to Sis ...but dont i have to add some rocks and caves? I have all that in the tank where they are now .....I dont want this tank cluttered~

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Nah. You have the driftwood, the large leaves on the plants, the sponge filter. All those act as hiding places/caves. THey will do good!! I have 3 rams that have now spawned AGAIN tonight. Only have the leaves the and driftwood and they have enough places to protect and defend. Go for it!

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 08:45 PM
OKay MON!! I really want to:) But to catch them....a horse of a dif color eh? Hey did you see my pics in Tankmates ..? I posted some new ones!

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh .... I would NEVER kill that plant! What the hell is it??

I was quite litrerally ROFL on that one Marie... actually I still am

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
You can catch them!!! I know it is hard. :p I will go look for the new pics now.

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Marie,
I have to say you definately have a gift when it comes to aquascaping. It looks beautiful. like all of your other tanks.

Larry

marilyn1998
07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh yeah!! I saw those! You can always get a net to block the opening then take the vase out with them in it!!! I love that vase. Some rummy nose would look good in there too. You can qt them, umm with the goby? Is he alone in that tank?

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
It all sounds great guys:p

But...

I dont wanna have to use special lights and fertilizers and have green water and Co2......inject that and add this and I need more air and less lights ....

Ya Know??

I dont want to have to worry about the PLANTS... along with the fish and water and filters and parameters .......

So .......YOU TWO........if we can KISS it??? Im game:D

Marie,
The plants that both Debbie and I suggested will do very well on little light or fertilizers. You really don't need to do much with them except trim them back when they get too big.

traco
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Marie, the tank looks great and good color that goes with the discus. Good for you!!!

And plants, well, anubias is always easy and you can tie to the piece of driftwood. And look at Amber's tank how everything is growing and she has just the lighting that came with the tank. So there are a lot of low light plants out there. It definately is trial and error. I had a plant that Amber also has and mine did not do well at all. So what works on one tank might not work on another. You just have to experiment. Get clippings from others and it will not be expensive that way.

I also don't fertilize the tank other than root tabs under the substrate plants, no Co2 or huge lighting. Some plants are doing great, some okay, some not so well but no big deal.

Don't give up!:D

wolfbane
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Hooray!! She did it! Looks lovely girl! Plants, it wants plants! You will be happy, I'm sure, with this set-up. Hygro and crypts, anubias on the wood or on a rock, I can see it now!
So is the substrate more brownish than red? I like the look! Wish I could get some samples of the 3 colors, wet 'em down and choose.
Larry, maybe I want this stuff in my 29 gal? I want Praecox Rainbows there. Maybe the charcoal color.

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Everyone!!! Barb I miss you!! I was checking out the pics again and Marilyn's soil looks much redder than mine....but Mine looks really red in person...

Strange huh? Perhaps cuz it is still a little cloudy still!

tpl*co
07-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks Everyone!!! Barb I miss you!! I was checking out the pics again and Marilyn's soil looks much redder than mine....but Mine looks really red in person...

Strange huh? Perhaps cuz it is still a little cloudy still!

I like it! Can I possibly get some from you to try? When I eventually come and get my meds, (for the fish, LOL, but the way work's been treating me I could use some too!).

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-25-2006, 10:48 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_108.gif

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Hooray!! She did it! Looks lovely girl! Plants, it wants plants! You will be happy, I'm sure, with this set-up. Hygro and crypts, anubias on the wood or on a rock, I can see it now!
So is the substrate more brownish than red? I like the look! Wish I could get some samples of the 3 colors, wet 'em down and choose.
Larry, maybe I want this stuff in my 29 gal? I want Praecox Rainbows there. Maybe the charcoal color.

Debbie,
The charcoal color is what I am referring to as "grey". Don't be fooled by the name, it is not black, think charcoal ready to cook on and you have the color. I looks good though, Ingrid says it looks volcanic.

lhforbes12
07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Marie, the tank looks great and good color that goes with the discus. Good for you!!!

And plants, well, anubias is always easy and you can tie to the piece of driftwood. And look at Amber's tank how everything is growing and she has just the lighting that came with the tank. So there are a lot of low light plants out there. It definately is trial and error. I had a plant that Amber also has and mine did not do well at all. So what works on one tank might not work on another. You just have to experiment. Get clippings from others and it will not be expensive that way.

I also don't fertilize the tank other than root tabs under the substrate plants, no Co2 or huge lighting. Some plants are doing great, some okay, some not so well but no big deal.

Don't give up!:D

I agree totally with Barb about this. While I do have huge lighting, and dose ferts, and inject CO2, I really don't think it's necessary, especially if you have plants that don't need much care. Barb has already stated about dosing with root tabs for ferts, low light plants don't need very much light, which only leaves CO2, and you can get around that by using Excel as a carbon source.

traco
07-26-2006, 12:04 AM
low light plants don't need very much light, which only leaves CO2, and you can get around that by using Excel as a carbon source.

Okay, Larry, you've peaked my interest. What do you mean about using Excel? Something new to learn, I think?:)

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 01:15 AM
which only leaves CO2, and you can get around that by using Excel as a carbon source.

What happen to KISS it Guys?? Excel?? Carbon Source?? My silk plants are lookin more and more simple!! lol!!

AmberC
07-26-2006, 07:47 AM
It looks awesome Marie!!!!!!!!!! :D Love it and I bet the fish will too!!!
Amber

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 07:51 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 08:22 AM
What happen to KISS it Guys?? Excel?? Carbon Source?? My silk plants are lookin more and more simple!! lol!!

It IS simple, you only need to add it once a week, and you need not do anything else.

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 08:41 AM

LOL, you still have to maintain those by getting algae and junk off of them too :).

Depending on the plant, it doesn't have to be work, and they keep up the water quality. I don't use CO2, or Excel (obviously after what happened to Sampson) or dose with ferts. I just found plants that could take what I had to (and my fish had to) give :).

You said you got the plants 3-4 days ago, heck it's been so hot the car ride home could have cooked them!

Tina

Kenny's Discus
07-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Just a question guys: how do I enroll in Planted Tank Basics 101? :D

Beautiful setup Marie! It definitely has a different look to it(richer & nicer) than BBs if maintenance is not a problem. Great job!!!

Kenny

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Beautiful setup Marie! It definitely has a different look to it(richer & nicer) than BBs if maintenance is not a problem. Great job!!!

Kenny

Kenny,
Don't be mislead, maintainence is a problem in a planted tank. It's MUCH easier keeping a BB clean. That said, I agree that a planted is worth the extra work.
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/
&
http://aquaticplantcentral.com/

are two great places to get both advice and insperation. Of course on here you have me, Dissident, Al, Tina, Debbie, Marilyn, Barb, Frank and many others, that would be more than willing to help you. Growing plants is pretty easy once you know some of the "secrets", and there is no mistaking rhat they are much more beautiful and interesting than a BBB tank. I personally believe that growing out fry demands a BB, but having one or two planted "show" tanks is a must for me. It really isn't difficult to have a planted tank, for instance Marilyn, who was having problems growing plants is now a pro at it.
<-------- VERY proud of Marilyn
If you try half as hard at growing plants as you do breeding, you will have no problems my friend.

Larry

Kenny's Discus
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Kenny,
Don't be mislead, maintainence is a problem in a planted tank. It's MUCH easier keeping a BB clean. That said, I agree that a planted is worth the extra work.
&

are two great places to get both advice and insperation. Of course on here you have me, Dissident, Al, Tina, Debbie, Marilyn, Barb, Frank and many others, that would be more than willing to help you. Growing plants is pretty easy once you know some of the "secrets", and there is no mistaking rhat they are much more beautiful and interesting than a BBB tank. I personally believe that growing out fry demands a BB, but having one or two planted "show" tanks is a must for me. It really isn't difficult to have a planted tank, for instance Marilyn, who was having problems growing plants is now a pro at it.
If you try half as hard at growing plants as you do breeding, you will have no problems my friend.

Larry

Thank you so much for your lengthy explanation Larry. It is very much appreciated! I'm grateful to have you guys here so that when I'm ready to start a planted tank I can avoid many roadblocks. Thanks in advance friends!

Just a thought Larry...can I start a 5g planted tank initially?:D I'm a little scared ya know(and I'm cheap also LOL)? <-----------DUCK DUCK DUCK-------------->

Thanks Larry for the info and links again!
Kenny

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey Guys~

I am not goin all 100% oodles upon oodles of plants ~ am I ? I will so mess it all up ...i'm tellin ya!!

I can see it now ~ beside you guy will so forget to send me them anyways!! I have some more pics of my tank ~ The discus are just waking up as I never turn on the light this early but I HAD to see it!!

Talk about crystal clear!! OMG! I took this one with a flash which I never really do ~ but you can see now just how red the soil really is esp since it isnt cloudy any more:)

I wanted to add some more soil...whatcha guys think? I dont think I added enough:(

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 11:09 AM
oops...THIS is the one with the flash ~

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Kenny,
A 5 gallon will work but, believe it or not, will be more difficult to be successful with, than say, a 20 gallon. To me a 20 is a great place to start. If you do choose to use a 5 just be aware that an incandescent bulb is a very poor choice of light.

Marie,
You may have as many or as few plants as you like. Actually my advice would be to start with only a few plants, see if you like the idea, if you do, get more, if you don't, not much is lost. As to the substrate, it looks to my eye that you have the right amount now, but if you want to add more it's not going to hurt anything IMO.

Larry

wolfbane
07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
OOooooo! Looking great Marie! And I'm not talking mega filled with plants, just a nice easy keeper group, EASY! We've suggested a few very easy plants that will accent your fish and tank nicely, up to you how many you want and where you place them.
I use Excel in my tanks, once a week, and use root tabs under the swords, crypts, and dwarf lilies. The hygro doesn't seem to need anything, it just grows and grows.
Larry, so the charcoal is light? Bummer, I am looking for a dark substrate for the rainbows, blackish or very dark brown.
Marilyn, loving the planted look? Your tank is coming along so well!!

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Debbie,
That is exactly what I thought and why I told you about the charcoal. There are numerous pictures of my 125 on this site that will show you the color, just do a search on my name. If you don't mind spending some bucks the ADA "Amazonia" soil is what you would want, it's very dark, almost black, also both Eco-Complete and Flourite are somewhat dark (Eco chocolate brown, Flourite reddish brown) but certainly not black. I purchased the SMS charcoal hoping it would be black, imagine my shock when I opened the bag! That said, it really does look nice though.

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 11:42 AM
OOooooo! Looking great Marie! And I'm not talking mega filled with plants, just a nice easy keeper group, EASY! We've suggested a few very easy plants that will accent your fish and tank nicely, up to you how many you want and where you place them.
I use Excel in my tanks, once a week, and use root tabs under the swords, crypts, and dwarf lilies. The hygro doesn't seem to need anything, it just grows and grows.
Larry, so the charcoal is light? Bummer, I am looking for a dark substrate for the rainbows, blackish or very dark brown.
Marilyn, loving the planted look? Your tank is coming along so well!!

Yes, Marie, you can start out with one anubia or a sword plant. see how it goes, add more if you like (one at a time, see how it grows, add a little more). You'll see when you get an equilibrium that they'll outcompete the algae. One thing about anubias though since they grow slow, they can get algae on their leaves (a good algae eater would help).

Wolfbane - Ecocomplete is black. Costs more though :(.

Tina

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Kenny,
&

Larry

Woohoo, Larry, you consider me in the planted tank club? :). I've always considered my tanks as a little above a bb as a very low tech, with a bunch of fancy potted plants (but you can't always tell they're in pots since the pots are clear). I usually buy one of a plant, plop it in (after quarantine) then see if it'll grow or make it with what I give it. If it croaks or grows is up to it. Things that grow I may get more of (or it gives me more of).

OK, Marie, no pressure on the plant scene, with time and maintance routines we all have our comfort zones :).

Tina

hexed
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Well well well Marie and live plants :D

Marie the tank looks great!

diskboy
07-26-2006, 01:31 PM
i love the tank and the fish

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Woohoo, Larry, you consider me in the planted tank club? :).
Tina

I'm not in the planted tank club http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Come on Marie, it's just one little plant...

It's not like it'll multiply like when we got our first discus, or tank, or potato chips...LOL!

(I'm a real bad one to preach moderation, ask DH, with me one ends up before long to 10, 20...100, LOL, until sometimes I burn out or move to another hobby :)).

Tina

White Worm
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM

Kenny

HAHAHAHA, I see I got you interested in a show tank HMMMMM? I too plan to change my BBB (the fish tank) into something with substrate and a few live plants to start with.

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 02:29 PM
HAHAHAHA, I see I got you interested in a show tank HMMMMM? I too plan to change my BBB (the fish tank) into something with substrate and a few live plants to start with.

OK have to ask, what does the 3rd "B" stand for in the B? bare bottom? BBB?

Tina

White Worm
07-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Boring Bare Bottom

tpl*co
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
OK,

I was thinking it was "Basic Bare Bottom" LOL, but then I thought HTH was "Hole in the head" LOL.

Tina

White Worm
07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats funny Tina, I always get those two mixed up. HITH and HTH, lol.

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 03:18 PM
OK,

I was thinking it was "Basic Bare Bottom" LOL, but then I thought HTH was "Hole in the head" LOL.

Tina

That is hilarious!! When people wld say at the end of a post Tina: hth...YOU thought they were saying: Hole In The Head,....then their name??

wow ~

Come get your meds babe ~ and some soil:D

marilyn1998
07-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Aww, Larry, PROUD???? Now I am blushing. And thanks Wolfbane for the compliments. I tell you. If I can grow a plant anyhone can. If you look at my house, I have NO plants. IN my yard, all are hanging baskets and my husband waters them daily as I cant lift the water thingy.

The more low tech the tank, the easier it is to maintain. And the bigger the tank Loverboy, just like fish tanks, the easier to keep balanced. Prolly for the same reasons.

The plants do alot to keep the water and fish healthy. ANd I Am one that did 50% Wc EVERY day. With the tank now stable, and the fish bigger of course, a 50% wc ONCE A WEEK is all that is needed.

a bbb IS much easier to clean. You just put the hose in, wipe the glass and refill. But it shows all the dirt, too. With my planted tank, I hover over the substrate with the syphon. IT swirls a few bits in there, recontours the layout and sucks up the gunk. I have found ALOT LESS gunk too, with the once a week WC as opposed to the daily!! My params are not out of whack either. And, if you want to WC twice a week, you can do that too.

If you go basic and not add ferts in the water, that is much easier too.

But, if I can do it, anyone can!!!!!!! ITs cheap to try. And you can always get cuttings from folks on here. I Will send to anyone when I have them!!!

My discus are happier having the plants to play in and are much more active.
And my tank spawns all the time now!!! I have had eggs from discus, rams and Bushy Nose!!!!

pcsb23
07-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Marie the tank is looking really nice now. Don't worry about the planted tank club, the force is strong, you will be on the dark side soon enough:bandana:

lhforbes12
07-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Okay, Larry, you've peaked my interest. What do you mean about using Excel? Something new to learn, I think?:)

Barb,
Sorry, I somehow missed this. Seachem Flourish Excel, is a carbon source for those who don't wish to go the CO2 route. It is not a fertilizer, all it does is add carbon to your water column, which the plants can use instead of CO2. It works well. Some people, Tina for one, have had problems when using it in high dosages, if used as directed I have heard no one having any problems with it. The reason it is sometimes used in high dosages is that it will kill BBA (Black Beard/Brush Algae) and it works well for this. As I said, some people have reported problems when it is used this way, and in fact my discus did not like it at all when I over dosed the 125 with Excel. It is an excellent product, and I highly recommend it, but I no longer tell people to use an excess of it. If you have a low light tank, one dose a week is all you need, so it's not very expensive either.

Larry

Kindredspirit
07-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Marie the tank is looking really nice now. Don't worry about the planted tank club, the force is strong, you will be on the dark side soon enough:bandana:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

traco
07-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Barb,
Sorry, I somehow missed this. Seachem Flourish Excel, is a carbon source for those who don't wish to go the CO2 route. It is not a fertilizer, all it does is add carbon to your water column, which the plants can use instead of CO2. It works well. Some people, Tina for one, have had problems when using it in high dosages, if used as directed I have heard no one having any problems with it. The reason it is sometimes used in high dosages is that it will kill BBA (Black Beard/Brush Algae) and it works well for this. As I said, some people have reported problems when it is used this way, and in fact my discus did not like it at all when I over dosed the 125 with Excel. It is an excellent product, and I highly recommend it, but I no longer tell people to use an excess of it. If you have a low light tank, one dose a week is all you need, so it's not very expensive either.

Larry

And I have some of that stuff along with Flourish!! I may try it once a week and see how things go. I've just got root fertilizers tablets which I've put down deep under the plants.