PDA

View Full Version : How best to transport discus?

t2000kw
07-22-2006, 09:09 PM
What are the things I should consider when transporting discus?

How long will they last in plastic buckets?

How best to maintain temperature of the water while driving back?

Is styrofoam OK for a container?

Anything that I didn't mention above that is important?

Thanks!!!

:confused:

wolfbane
07-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I live an hour's drive from the breeder, I just used a 5 gal plastic bucket to transport, Have a loose fitting lid or cover for it. I think if I had to travel farther, I would use a battery operated air stone in the bucket, maybe use warm packs around the bucket to keep temp even.
jme,

poconogal
07-22-2006, 11:22 PM
What are the things I should consider when transporting discus?

How long will they last in plastic buckets?

How best to maintain temperature of the water while driving back?

Is styrofoam OK for a container?

Anything that I didn't mention above that is important?

Thanks!!!

:confused:
I live about 1 1/2 hrs. from the breeder. He triple bagged each fish, put oxygen in each bag, then wrapped each bag in newspaper and packed them in a styrofoam box. They were fine and temp remained at 85, even though we had the A/C on in the car.

I would get a styrofoam cooler, bring some newspaper with you to wrap around each bag. You can also get heat packs here: www.angelsplus.com, depending on how long you will be traveling, one might be necessary, but most likely not. I know that oxygen tablets are sold to use for transporting fish, whether you need them again depends on how long you will be traveling. My LFS puts oxygen in fish bag even though I only drive about 15 mins. to my home. (But that's not where I bought my Discus).

Connie

AADiscus
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I would advise against transporting them in a bucket. That is just me though. The person you buy them from should have all the supplies you need to transport them. Bags, air, etc. If you want to take your own styrofoam box then do. It would be best to carry them home in. The breeder might even have an extra shipping box that is lined with styrofoam for you to carry them in. Ask the breeder! They should tell you everything you need or don't need to bring when getting your fish.

t2000kw
07-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I would advise against transporting them in a bucket. That is just me though. The person you buy them from should have all the supplies you need to transport them. Bags, air, etc. If you want to take your own styrofoam box then do. It would be best to carry them home in. The breeder might even have an extra shipping box that is lined with styrofoam for you to carry them in. Ask the breeder! They should tell you everything you need or don't need to bring when getting your fish.

One of the central Ohio breeders just got back to me. I need to make an appointment but I'm welcome to come and pick my discus or just look.

I do have a styrofoam shipping container from a LFS where we got some white clouds and larger corys from. I could ust that. As for the rest, I'm sure the breeder wil have bags and such since he ships some discus to customers.

AADiscus
07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Have fun with the breeder and let us know what you get! ;) Pictures are always a must!!! :D

poconogal
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
One of the central Ohio breeders just got back to me. I need to make an appointment but I'm welcome to come and pick my discus or just look.

I do have a styrofoam shipping container from a LFS where we got some white clouds and larger corys from. I could ust that. As for the rest, I'm sure the breeder wil have bags and such since he ships some discus to customers.
When you make your appointment remember to ask him how he will pack the fish and if you need to bring anything for transport. You really should not need to bring anything, but you never know... :D

Good luck and post pics!

Connie