PDA

View Full Version : spotted puffers

sleonard
07-27-2006, 08:15 PM
My cousin gave me two small 2" spotted puffers and I'm at a loss as where to put them. For now I put them in a 10G African cichlid fry tank (fry are ~1/2") and they seem to be doing OK but I don't know if I can keep them there.

I'm pretty sure my adult Africans would tear them up if I put them there and the only other possible place is in my 80G discus tank.

I have another 80G that will be set up for a discus growout soon and a 40G breeder that is unused and probably will be used as an African growout or a 1st tank for discus fry (if I ever get any discus fry!)

Any suggestions?

Scott

sleonard
07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh and I don't know anything about puffers. Water, food, etc. requirements.

Scott

AmberC
07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Scott.. they need their own tank. And if you are going to be keeping them together, you need to make sure the substrate forms small hills/pits and there are lots of plants (fake or real) so that they will not see eachother very often.

Puffers are extremely aggressive fish towards ANYthing else in the tank. But not only that.. they have a BEAK that can take large chunks out of whatever they choose to bite. I would NOT recommend putting them with anything you have listed.

Diet:
FBW, snails, shrimp type foods. Some will accept flakes sometimes but usually not. Snails are a must, small snails.. the ones that you find on your plants you get from lfs's. They eat the snail AND the shell and eating snail shells is what keeps their beak filed down. If you do not provide the snails for the beaks to be filed, you will have to clip the beak back yourself and this is not easy.

As for the rest 75 degrees and they'll adapt to any water conditions just like other fish.

They are FUN little guys! I have had malabars and figure 8's.
HTH!
Amber

pcsb23
07-28-2006, 05:39 AM
The flesh of the puffer is poisionous so don't put it with fish that might eat it.

Dissident
07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Spotted puffers should be kept in a species-only tank. They also should be kept in brackish water.

-----------------------------------
One of the more commonly encountered brackish puffers, it is often confused with T. fluviatilis (Green puffer) - or even with with T. schoutedeni (Leopard/Spotted Congo puffer) - a freshwater species. This species can be kept in freshwater when young, but should be adapted to brackish water as it grows, for its long term health.
------------------------------------

sledwood
07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Scott,
Years ago I bought one of those little devils because I thought it was cute. Put him in my 55 gal with all my veil tail angels. When I woke up in the morning, the angels were in tatters. I watched as he hid behind a rock and darted out when they passed by him ripping off what was left of their fins. Their little beaks are made for ripping and tearing...............Put them in with Discus? I don't think so........................Ed

sleonard
07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
I've already decided. I'm going to call my cousin and ask him if he wants them. If not, I'll take them to the LFS and see if I can get some trade in credit.

I've spent way too much on my discus lately so another tank is out and I'm not about to bring snails into my fish room after I spent so much time eradicating them.

Scott

pcsb23
07-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Reckon thats a good decision.

AmberC
07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Reckon thats a good decision.

I think so too!! :)