PDA

View Full Version : Otos with ...

traco
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I just purchased 2 small otos and are in a QT tank. Doing some reading on them and there are other sites out there that say not to put with discus. Will attach themselves to the discus?

So here I am asking if they should not be put with discus. I got them to put in to help keep the live plants clean. I've got BN plecos in there also but these little otos are supposed to be better on the plants?

pcsb23
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I've never had any probs with otos.

traco
08-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks Paul.:) Should I give them a treatment of Prazi Pro before adding to the discus tank? Do you guys, when QT'ing, treat for worms, etc...? Also, can scaleless fish like plecos still bring something into the tank if not QT'd and went straight in?

Alight
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Always quarantine. I treat all new fish with Praziquantel and levamisole before adding to the Discus tanks. Otos are not bothered by either of these treatments. Just added 15 new Otos to my planted tank.

I've never had problems with Otos attaching to Discus. Occasionally, one of the little guys gets chomped by a Discus, though.

The Otos I have are a quite small variety. The ones I've seen picture of attached to Discus have been a larger variety.

These little guys really do a job on algae.

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree with both Paul and Al. We have some in the 125 and I wont be without them, they are wonderful little fish. While mine aren't really tiny (about 1 1/2") I have never seen them bother the discus, or any other fish for that matter. Be sure to feed them algae wafers on a regular basis, they are strictly vegetarian.

Larry

traco
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Al and Larry. So is Prazi Pro the same as praziquantel, Al? Levamisole is a good one for tapeworms? I should really get some proper wormer to have on hand.

Larry, I do have algae wafers. I do feed the snails and plecos with zucchini, green beans, cucumber. Will the otos also eat those foods or strictly the wafers? I don't want to starve anyone.

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Barb,
Mine love zucchini, they eat the skin. Ingrid gets great enjoyment watching one of our common plecos eating a zucchini while an oto is also on it. We use those "lettuce clips" to attach the zucchini. The largest pleco is around 8" now, so you can imaging that "he" drags the zucchini right downwards. When the pleco lets go the oto goes flying!

For some reason all the fish in the tank congregrate to "Mom's" side, much to her pleasure and my annoyance.

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Always quarantine. I treat all new fish with Praziquantel and levamisole before adding to the Discus tanks. Otos are not bothered by either of these treatments. Just added 15 new Otos to my planted tank .

Al ~ how long did you qt them for If I may ask? And...do you have a correct full name and a PIC? I wld so appreciate it:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Al ~ how long did you qt them for If I may ask? And...do you have a correct full name and a PIC? I wld so appreciate it:)

Well... you asked Al but here's your answer anyway:p

http://www.otocinclus.com/

traco
08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Larry, you should have 40 baby apple snails and 3 plecos all trying to eat the zucchini I put in the tank. Can't wait till these 2 little guys can get in there and join the frenzy.

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Barb,
btw Oto's are schoolers, best to have 5 or more

traco
08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Really? Damn, I only got 2!! I am going back on Friday to pick up some socolofis so hopefully they still have some. Thanks for the tip, Larry.

I really should put up a new thread about when does a tank become crowded. That's why I thought I'd just get two for the tank.

Dissident
08-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Ottos have been know to feed on the discus's slime coat. I have seen pics of it from one of the members here. However I have kept ottos with my discus and never ran into it.

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I have seen it too Dis....but....then I was told they were not fed enough that is why?

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Well... you asked Al but here's your answer anyway:p

http://www.otocinclus.com/

Thank You Larry! So it is a catfish? hmm....I have heard horror stories about these guys attaching to the sides of discus Larry... have you?

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Thank You Larry! So it is a catfish? hmm....I have heard horror stories about these guys attaching to the sides of discus Larry... have you?

I've heard the stories but I have never seen it. If you read my other post you will see that I also have common plecos in with some discus, no problems there either. It's my opinion that Dis is correct, that you only see these problems when the catfish are starving. I think many people forget that their bottoms feeders need to be fed too. The other thing is, to my knowledge otos are strictly vegetarians, so to be attachingf to the sides of discus it would seem to me that they are VERY hungry. I am not an expert though.

Barb,
Yes Prazi-Pro and Praziquatanel are the same thing

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 08:18 PM
"Well there have been a few reports of otocinclus which attack slow moving flat-bodied fish, such as discuss, or angelfish. It must be mentioned that sometimes otocinclus are slightly territorial with each other, but they would most likely never attack another fish. I think this behavior could mean that the otocinclus is very hungry and trying to latch onto any surface that may have food, be it an organic surface or non-organic. If it is one particular otocinclus then move him to another tank (with other otos), or buy more otocinclus so they can form a group that may entertain themselves and not go after individual fish".

This statement I pulled off of that site that Larry just gave me ~ Very informative and thanks Larry!

Having said that I wld die if I saw one attached to my discus guys ~ can you get it off? That must hella hurt man! It cannot be too common I think as I have heard of it happening not too often!

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Marie,
The site seems to be agreeing with me, the otos were VERY hungry... this is why I suggest feeding algae wafers. I put some in every other day. In my case because there just isn't much algae in the 125, and I really like the little suckers. I don't thnk it hurts the discus as much as annoys them when they attach.

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Larry are these Otos called Suckermouth as well? Or is this the only name they go by? Have you seen them attach to your discus ever?

M~

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I have only ever seen a common pleco attach to my discus. I still have the pleco and it is in with discus again, but it never tries to attach anymore. It is now well fed though, and I really do think that's what makes the difference. A well fed pleco isn't interested in chasing anything. Otos are called otos, but they do have suckermouths. I find them very entertaining, they "play" together often and you almost always see at least two together at all times. When we first got them I would often think that one was dead, they like like sucking on my S. subulata and just lay there (Sagittaria subulata is a small grasslike plant) looking for all the world like they're dead. As soon as you move near them though, they go shooting away. I also think they are kind of handsome little fish. I'm really glad we got them. btw QT them as you would any other fish, 4-6 weeks

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Otocinclus Algae Eater Otocinclus affinis - LDA 23

Size: up to 2 inches, pH: versatile Temp: 74-84°F; pH 6.8-7.5 Origin: South America

Food: New Life Spectrum "Community Formula" or "H20 Stable Wafers" found at Fish Foods

Good rule of thumb for stocking: No more than 1 per 3 gallons of water depending on your plant load. Ideal tank mates include: Livebearers, Angels, Discus, Tetras, Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, Gouramis, Loaches, Plecos, and other scavenger Catfish. Very sweet, not aggressive! These cute little fellas will gently pick algae off leaves without hurting your plants and scavenge the bottom of your tanks as well! Size at shipping: about 1.25"

Larry This is what we are talking about right?^^ Cld you when you have time go to this site and tell me what you think about this one I am interested in?

http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_fish.php

I wanted the Hill Stream Loach.... If not I will get the Oto! whatcha think? And.......

Do I even have room in my 55gal ~ I have five discus and 9 rams...

traco
08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
The hill stream loach doesn't say what fish it would or wouldn't be compatible with. Kind of cool looking though, isn't it?

traco
08-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I wanted the Hill Stream Loach.... If not I will get the Oto! whatcha think? And.......

Good question about stocking levels, Marie. I wonder the same thing about when does one know when they have reached their capacity of a tank.

You could also maybe move some of the rams to another tank.

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Marie,
Yep, the true SAE is supposed to, stay small, is a very good algae eater, and peaceful. They are supposed to be great fish to have in a planted tank. I say "supposed" because I've never owned one. I do know the planted tank people consider them to be the best all around fish for a planted tank though, followed fairly closely by otocinclus. My advice to you would be to stay away from them, only because you don't have plants. If you like them though, go ahead and get some (these are also schoolers btw) but make sure to feed them algae wafers. Be careful though, there are many imitators and all of them get large, are aggresive and don't eat algae. I believe the ones AZ sells are the true SAEs.

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
The hill stream loach doesn't say what fish it would or wouldn't be compatible with. Kind of cool looking though, isn't it?

I am sorry Barb I so didnt mean to take over your thread:o I agree that Hill Stream one looks hella cool huh? And it doesnt get too big either...

I want him Barb!! lol!! I also thought of moving over the Rams...as well ~ hmm...

decisons decisions decisions...

Kindredspirit
08-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Marie,
My advice to you would be to stay away from them, only because you don't have plants. If you like them though, go ahead and get some (these are also schoolers btw) but make sure to feed them algae wafers. .

Stay away from them Larry cuz I dont have plants or cuz I dont have much algae... Cuz I DO have lots of green carpet crap! Only in one tank tho ~ as there is stronger light on that one ~

I have plants... just not real ~ but they get algae..rub it in rub it in...:(

Dissident
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I am assumeing you are going to put 2 otto's into a 90gal tank? 2 won't help with algae, 2 won't do much at all. In a 90gal I would say 15-20 would be a good number to have. Don't know who came up with the 1 for every 3 gallons...

Also what kind of algae do you have; are you sure otto's will even eat the type of algae you want to remove?

traco
08-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Diss, I have no algae in my 90 gallon. There is some hard dark algae spots on my bolbitus and an anubias but that's it. I was going to put the otos in to buzz around the plants and keep them clean. I do feed greens to my tank daily.

Ed13
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I did have some otos that like to attach to discus, but in retrospect it was my fault since I loved to placed my hand in the tank and have the otos clean it. So when it came time to add the adult discus they instantaneously went for them, but a rapid movement by the discus and they were off.
The only other plec to give me some trou was a Royal pleco, imagine this attached to a discus
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=1614

lhforbes12
08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Stay away from them Larry cuz I dont have plants or cuz I dont have much algae... Cuz I DO have lots of green carpet crap! Only in one tank tho ~ as there is stronger light on that one ~

I have plants... just not real ~ but they get algae..rub it in rub it in...:(

Not having plants isn't a crime... although it probably should be <grin>
I was only saying, badly, that you probably don't need otos. If you like them, by all means get some. I think you will enjoy having them in your tank(s). As to overstocking, to me the best guide is how your fish are doing, if you have no, or little, illness problems, and your water parameters reamain good, and there is not too much aggression, then you are fine. The 1 inch per gallon rule is stupid IMO, 1" of Cardinal Tetra does even come close to 1" of discus. I have 40+ Cardinals, 2 large common plecos, 5 Corydorus julii, 6 clown loaches, 2 female blue gouramis, 2 L-018 Gold Nugget plecos, 6 Rams, and 4 large discus in my 125. I don't consider it to be even close to capacity yet. (Well.. admitidedly it is getting close) All of the fish are fine and there is really no aggressiion at all in the tank, other than typical pecking order behavior from the discus. The water is very stable and there are no Nitrogen problems, DOC is taken care both by the plants and by every other day wc's. So far this tank is working extremely well, but who knows if my adding 4-6 more discus will put it over the edge? To me it's a balancing act.

D4veh
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I had Otos in my tank for almost a year and never saw any problems, until a pair formed and laid on the back glass.....

The two Otos seemed to make a b-line for the Female and started attaching to her side.....Needless to say they were not in there for long.........

The Female did seem to be able to shake them off but they kept coming back.........persistent little things !!!!

lhforbes12
08-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Otocinclus Algae Eater Otocinclus affinis - LDA 23

Size: up to 2 inches, pH: versatile Temp: 74-84°F; pH 6.8-7.5 Origin: South America

Food: New Life Spectrum "Community Formula" or "H20 Stable Wafers" found at Fish Foods

Good rule of thumb for stocking: No more than 1 per 3 gallons of water depending on your plant load. Ideal tank mates include: Livebearers, Angels, Discus, Tetras, Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Rainbowfish, Gouramis, Loaches, Plecos, and other scavenger Catfish. Very sweet, not aggressive! These cute little fellas will gently pick algae off leaves without hurting your plants and scavenge the bottom of your tanks as well! Size at shipping: about 1.25"

Larry This is what we are talking about right?^^ Cld you when you have time go to this site and tell me what you think about this one I am interested in?

http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_fish.php

Marie,
I actually have O. vittatus, not that I meant to get that species, but it's what the LFS had at the time. Mine look slightly different.