PDA

View Full Version : What can you have with discus???

t_j
08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but what other kind of mid-small fish can you have with discus? The only fish I know of are Angles.

White Worm
08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
You are in the right section. There are many so you may want to just take some time and scan through past pages. On the top right and bottom of the page are page numbers. Click on one and you will see that people have asked about every question conscerning what types. Or you can do a search by using a keyword to find subjects. I think discus by themselves is cool with maybe some cardinal tetras (nice sized school) and cleaners such as ottos, corys or loaches.

Kenny's Discus
08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi tj - german blue rams like these can be kept with discus:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52274

Kenny

traco
08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I've got rummy nose tetras, albino cories, angels, platy, male apisto, plecos and some otos in QT.

And of course, ALWAYS QT any new fish you want to put in with your discus for a good month to 6 weeks.

t_j
08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks to everyone!! I do like the discus by them self but I want a little something extra also not a big fish just something mid-small. I really like neon tetras but I heard these can't handle the temp and can be eaten by the discus I don't know if this is true or not. But thats kinda what I'm looking to put with them I'll make sure to go through the pages thanks again.:)

billeagan
08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Cardinals are an excellent choice, a variety of pleco's, clown loaches, FW sting rays.. the choices can be endless =)

lhforbes12
08-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks to everyone!! I do like the discus by them self but I want a little something extra also not a big fish just something mid-small. I really like neon tetras but I heard these can't handle the temp and can be eaten by the discus I don't know if this is true or not. But thats kinda what I'm looking to put with them I'll make sure to go through the pages thanks again.:)

Tiffany,
Cardinal Tetras will work fine, large neons should also be OK

t_j
08-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks again for the help from every one!!!!!!!!:)

Dissident
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I like schooling fish in my show tanks. Typically I select based on color (an compatibility of course). In my last tank I only used green plants and wanted all the color and contrast to come from the fish. I went with rummy nose and congo tetras (along with discus).

Personally I prefer to have one dominant species of fish in the tank, thats why I wont mix discus and other large fish. I only want one type of fish to be the tank's focal point to keep it from being to busy. That way the eye will still move to the smaller fish but alway back to the main focus of the tank.
That is the same concept I use for plants now. I only use a couple of species of plants other than several. It all depends on what you are going for.

t_j
08-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I like schooling fish in my show tanks. Typically I select based on color (an compatibility of course). In my last tank I only used green plants and wanted all the color and contrast to come from the fish. I went with rummy nose and congo tetras (along with discus).

Personally I prefer to have one dominant species of fish in the tank, thats why I wont mix discus and other large fish. I only want one type of fish to be the tank's focal point to keep it from being to busy. That way the eye will still move to the smaller fish but alway back to the main focus of the tank.
That is the same concept I use for plants now. I only use a couple of species of plants other than several. It all depends on what you are going for.

That is exactly what I was going for, but you said it better. That is exactly what I want for my tank thats why I'm going for smaller fish.:)

lhforbes12
08-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Sourdough and a fine Riesling?

t_j
08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
The Cardinal Tetras (I looked them up) are the ones I want where can you find those here in chicagoland?

lhforbes12
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
The Cardinal Tetras (I looked them up) are the ones I want where can you find those here in chicagoland?

Tiffi,
Bill Egan, he is a sponsor here and lives in Naperville. He is getting a large shipment in this week. I believe he quarentines them for 4 weeks. Last time I was there I got 30 of them at $1 each, which is a great price. If you have trouble finding him, just PM me and I'll give you his info.

Larry

t_j
08-03-2006, 07:33 PM
I just talked to Bill today he gets his shipment in Monday, but I didn't know he sold those I guess I'll be talking to him again Thanks Larry.:D

t_j
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I forgot to ask how many should I put in a 55 with 5 discus and 1 corie?

Dissident
08-03-2006, 08:01 PM
15 sould be good, maybe more I'm not sure on the mortality rate for cardinals after transport.

t_j
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
15 sould be good, maybe more I'm not sure on the mortality rate for cardinals after transport.

Thats around what I wanted but wasn't sure thanks Diss:D

lhforbes12
08-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I forgot to ask how many should I put in a 55 with 5 discus and 1 corie?

If it were me I'd put 15-20 in. They are small fish and a large school looks very nice. I have 45+ in the 125. As to mortality, out of the 30 I got from Bill, I had no loses.

t_j
08-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks Larry

Andres
08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
So what ever happen with you getting that 125 gal???? Did you back out:) :) :) :) If it was me just Discus in the tank and some Cory's. Maybe you could set-up your tank with white sand and a sting-ray from Bill.

t_j
08-03-2006, 09:58 PM
So what ever happen with you getting that 125 gal???? Did you back out:) :) :) :) If it was me just Discus in the tank and some Cory's. Maybe you could set-up your tank with white sand and a sting-ray from Bill.

You think your funny don't you!!!!!!! Remember I know where you sleep!!!!:inquisitive:

t_j
08-03-2006, 10:21 PM
What kind of temp can the Cardinal Tetras handle? My temp is at 90 can they handle that?

lhforbes12
08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
What kind of temp can the Cardinal Tetras handle? My temp is at 90 can they handle that?

That's a bit on the high side, even for discus. 82-86 is what most keep their discus at. I keep my adults at 83 and the juveniles at 85. The Cardinals are in with the adults. Cardinals and Discus do co-exist in the wild though, so since discus can take 90+ temps, I see no reason why Cardinals couldn't take them also.

t_j
08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Should I lower my temp?

billeagan
08-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Should I lower my temp?

I would drop your temp to around 82. No need to keep the temp that high and run up the electric bill =)

The wild Cardinals I have dealt with are strong fish. I hit them with my regular QT program including PP and had no losses.

t_j
08-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks Bill!!!!!! I'll make sure I lower the temp.:)

t_j
08-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Does any body have a pic of what the Cardinal Tetras look like in there tank?

lhforbes12
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Tiffany,
Sorry this is the best I do do at this time of day. Cardinals are ALWAYS moving so it's difficult to get a good shot of them. The discus is about 5" SL and the Cardinals are about 1".

lhforbes12
08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
This one may give you a better idea. Again sorry about the quality, but this tank is currently getting a LOT of glare from a window

t_j
08-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks Larry I do like how it looks and your pictures aren't bad they give me a good idea of what I want and how I might change my tank.Thanks Again for posting those for me!!!:)

billeagan
08-04-2006, 11:15 PM
To make sure you are getting cardinals vs. neons the blue should run through the tail if its a cardinal.

Awesome pics Larry.

t_j
08-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks Bill!!!!:)

swinters66
08-06-2006, 04:58 PM
In a 55, you could get more corys...I love them!! I say the more bottom feeders you have the better! Ive seen my corys eat a LOT of the leftover food. They school too, so getting several is best and they are a hoot to watch!!

I keep harlequin rasboras with my discus. They seem to co-exsist just fine and they are cool little fish. What I really want to get eventually are 2 rams. I cant seem to find any lfs that has them lately. If I can get 2 rams, I'd take the rasboras out.

t_j
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
When having blue rams in a tank with discus can you add salt?

poconogal
08-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Tiffi,
Bill Egan, he is a sponsor here and lives in Naperville. He is getting a large shipment in this week. I believe he quarentines them for 4 weeks. Last time I was there I got 30 of them at $1 each, which is a great price. If you have trouble finding him, just PM me and I'll give you his info.

Larry
Boy, I wish I lived close to Bill! I paid $3.29 per Cardinal Tetra in my LFS. They were nice and healthy, and QT'd for about a month, but still...

Anyway, Cardinals are great with Discus, and aside from being a little dither fish, they are simply beautiful, especially when they get bigger.

Connie

poconogal
08-14-2006, 08:14 AM
To make sure you are getting cardinals vs. neons the blue should run through the tail if its a cardinal.

Awesome pics Larry.
And the red runs the full length of the body.