PDA

View Full Version : Censored words

Ryan
08-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Lately things have gotten more vulgar on the forum. I've asked people to watch language and it still gets posted. Now we have newbies choosing to throw colorful language around. So rather than manually editing every post, I have set the board to censor words automatically. Just a heads up.

Ryan

oodi
08-04-2006, 10:58 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Judi
:)

Squiggy
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
:mad:

What the ^%$#*@!!!, man....

:D

wolfbane
08-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Thankyou!

AmberC
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Sounds good. So is it gonna be like another board where my husband typed @$$ and it posted as "donkey" lmao! His sentance sounded so funny!

Amber

azroadmonster
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Very good. But really, what necessitates cussing on a fish forum? I can see it being acceptable on some of the grimier forums, but a discus forum?? :argue:

White Worm
08-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Does it sensor if you have "ums" on the end?

oodi
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
We can only hope!

Judi

Sue50
09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree totally. Profanity never emphasizes the point to me, it just shows a lack of vocabulary skills. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

CAGE-RATTLER
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
I guess i missed something ... cause ive never noticed any vulgar language here.

But ive been on plenty of forums that censers normal everyday words which make no sense to me.

karl wagner
10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I told myself, this forum was going to be different....

Dillan
10-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I find censorship much more offensive than what you consider vulgar language.

Ryan
10-04-2006, 03:35 PM

That is the policy of this forum. You don't have to like it, but it stands anyway.

Ryan

jeep
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM

**** **** **** ****** ****** **** *****!!! :spit:

White Worm
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Or....you could ******* leave. :D

Timbo
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
hey Dillan, i happen to agree with you but this is a forum that can be accessed by children.(how many kids can afford to keep discus i dont know but...) and its privately owned so the guy who signs the checks gets to make the rules. :)

(hehe, i used to crew on a competitive sailboat and the owner made us wear the boat's uniform which consisted of the owner's t-shirt that said "I write the checks!" and the crew's t-shirts that all said "I listen to the guy who writes the checks!" its how the world works :))

oodi
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
(how many kids can afford to keep discus i dont know but...)

You'd be surprised, Tim. Those that have been around a while will remember Tyler... probably THE most well known kid on all the forums. One of the nicest, intelligent, most mature (well beyond his years), and most missed too!!

Judi

brewmaster15
10-05-2006, 03:20 AM

Bummer. Different strokes for Different Folks.. I come from a construction background.... Elsewhere and Privately I have no problem with expressing those urges to spout off vulgarities if thats what people chose to do...

I don't condone it in public....If its offensive to you or anyone else... thats fine....but it doesn't change a thing...This is a discussion forum about Discus.. If you can't talk about discus without getting vulgar then I guess you have a major problem here.

Theres many many forums where people can go and talk all the vulgar trash they want about any topic they are interested in...This isn't one of them and never will be.

Thanks for feedback.

-al

Timbo
10-05-2006, 06:55 AM
You'd be surprised, Tim.
hi oodi!

yes i think i would be surprised. the board has about 8000 members and if we have 10 active members (that would be less than .002 %) under the age of 16...well yes, you are right...i would be very surprised oodi.

my point about the sailboat story is we have often have to live within a social system that works, but it may be one that not everyone agrees with. thats the way the civilized world works.

brewmaster15
10-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi Tim,
I know you understand how it works :) and I am also also pretty Sure I know what Judi meant as well.:)

Bottom line.. I don't care if its...000005 %.. As a father...One kid influenced negatively here is too many for me... I have no way to verify age...but I do know that we have had kids as young 12 years old. I'm not naive and think they aren't exposed to it elsewhere, but I see no reason to make a bad problem worse.

all...
Younsters here is part of the reasons we want to minimize vulgarity... theres others. This is an international forum... I want to maintain a professional and cordial atmosphere as much as possible.. Someone logs in here the first time and reads a garbage post and that person may never log in again...taking with them any information on discus they may have brought to our community...why? because a few people want the right to do here what most people would never do in front of their own familys, co-workers or at social gatherings like church, restaurants etc...

sorry thats a no -go here.

hope this puts an end to the censorship issue regarding language.

-al

Discus_KC
10-05-2006, 08:23 AM
I have 2 kids that love to read what dad is reading so they follow threads as I catch up. It's pretty sad that I had to censure their time while I was on the forums due to not knowing what I would read. Having my son ask what some of the words were and why they were spelled a certain way was not a fun way to have a fish talk.

I was one who asked if anything could be done. You can call me old fashioned but who cares. You can talk around your kids like a sailor but that's your business.

It's even caused friendships to be broken. Time will pass and new ones will be formed.

So I, for one, am glad we have censored words. So are my kids !!!!!

Jack

White Worm
10-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey Jack.....I too sometimes find my 7 tear old daughter coming up behind me to read what I am reading (2nd Grader). It becomes difficult when those questions start coming.
I'm with ya brew. I think the world is a foul enough place without having to see it in discussions about fish too. Good job :)