PDA

View Full Version : Coloration?

swinters66
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok the new discus I got is a pale, solid color. But he came from the same tank as the other 3 at the lfs. The first solid orange-colored discus has a nice deep splotch of color...this new guy though doesnt. Just a pale, almost light salmon color. Now, is this basically what they will look like from now on? Or does their coloration get better with good water, good food, etc?

I like all my fish, so its not like I am going to trade them all in for deeper colored fish...I was just curious as to how their coloration either stays the same or deepens.

Dissident
08-05-2006, 03:21 PM
A lot of factors go into what you are asking.

How old are the fish?
Are they all the same strain?

Foods will make a difference in color.
The tank itself will effect the color.
Not all fish from the same spawn will be the same.
Stress will change their color.

April
08-05-2006, 03:21 PM
they get better. pigeons get their vivid colours around 10 months or so..
if you get a marlboro baby..it starts out a washed out orange colour. about 10 months..RED.
do daily wcs..and make sure they are all eating..and see how it goes.
there is another possibility..sometimes if internal bacteria they fade.
with pigeons..you dont really know how they will end up..some yellow ones start yellow..and get deep orange..and get white splotches..lines..or what have you.

Carol_Roberts
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Good advice - juvenile pigeons are peach and the color fills in from the edges to the center. The white expands and the orange deepens until 12 - 18 months old

swinters66
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Thats so crazy you all said that about the color:laugh: because the solid guy..well he is showing a tad deeper orange color on his bottom fin (whatever thats called). Although I dont know if thats because he is settling in more. I dont know what the orange-peachy colored discus are...the tank said "assorted discus". The other 2 I got out of the same tank...they have a nice turq color with the red squiggles.

I mean if Peachy stays that solid color its whole life, I dont mind. He's pretty.