PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates

architect1
08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok I hate looking for forums if they are asked or not. My question is Can kribensis be good tank mates with discus. I know the Cribs (kribensis ) can be an aggressive fish with there own kind. But when it comes to a fish that’s 7 to 18 times bigger then it would there be any reason for it? I know my grandma’s cribs are always in and out of cavers if there’s enough caverns will that be ok?

Ryan
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Do you mean kribensis/kribs?

Small, unpaired kribs would probably do alright... I keep them with angels and tetras and other small fish. However, a mated pair will become a big problem. They will often attack and/or kill anything that comes near their spawning site (usually a cave or the underside of a rock).

Please be aware that if you have a male and female, they will most likely pair up. So the possibility of a pair forming and harassing your fish is a very good one.

Ryan

architect1
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
stupid spell checker It changed it on me sorry about that yes I ment kribensis .

Yes I new there vary agressive when there a pair. But have you done them with discus?

What about cribs rams and discus?

marilyn1998
08-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I have had rams and discus for a long time. Both spawn in my community tank. They are cichlids and will protect their spawning site, but each can handle their own. Just watch for too much aggression. Personally, I havent had to separate them yet.

As far as Kribs, I have also had those. Like Ryan said, tho, if they pair up, then give them their own tank. It is easy to tell male from female in kribs, so putting like 3 of them (same sex) in the tank wont hurt anything. I have had males alone and females alone in with my discus with no problems.

Both rams and kribs WILL eat discus eggs, btw.

HTH

architect1
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah I noticed my grandmas cribs are nasty little critters they are always fighting. They also spawn alot. Anything I can use fer the babies to hide?