PDA

View Full Version : Clean-up Crew?

Veteric
08-17-2006, 05:51 PM
I've got a 125 gal tank i'm going to start up over the next little bit. I'm considering L-46 zebra's as tank mates (2 of them). I'm wondering if they'll do a nice job cleaning up excess food, or if they're just going to eat it then poop all over the java moss in my soon to be heavily planted tank? The thing is I'm creating a bare substrate feeding strip that i can vaccume up, but I'm also planning on letting java moss spread to cover the bottom in the back of the tank.

crazie.eddie
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Most zebra plecos are shy and prefer to hide in caves, so even though it's feeding time, you may not see them eat until after lights out or at dusk. They will eat the same foods that discus eat when they get accustomed to it. My baby zebra (about 1.5") prefers bloodworms, but will sometimes eat beefheart and hikari sinking carnivore pellets.

swinters66
08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I personally love Corys. The constantly scour the gravel in my tank! I am a firm believer in having as many bottom feeders as possible, I mean as long as they are compatable with discus. I also keep Otos in my tank. They are small, but I have a smaller tank than you. I am currently using silk plants and real wood and some rocks for decoration, so I dont have an algae problem. Itll be different once I get a real planted tank set up....one day.

Marinemom
08-25-2006, 10:39 PM
I love having cories in my discus tank and they are always scurrying around and very busy. I have a school of panda cories in my tank and they are just too cute. They really know how to clean up too. I think at some point I would like to have a loache or two.

Diane

crazie.eddie
08-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Loaches are great, but they are more fun to watch when they are in a group. It seems their personalities come out when they have friends around.

chris allsop
08-27-2006, 08:00 AM
ive got about 7 different types of plecs and they do a good job at eating the food but they do pooh alot!!

Marinemom
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
You're right about that. Hence;water changes!

Diane

swinters66
08-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Whether I get the 75 or the 55 set up in the next couple of months...I want to add some yoyo botias...they are loaches and look totally cool!! Not sure if they tolerate warmer water though, Ill have to check on that.

Diane, I am jealous of all your pandas....I LOVE them and can never find them around my area. I have 2 albino corys and 2 spotted corys in my tank right now.

Marinemom
08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Stephanie,

I love my pandas. The first group didn't do so well but this group of six are constantly busy running all over the tank. It is just too funny to watch. Maybe your LFS can special order some for you. One thing I did hear about cories(I guess any kind) is that you have to be careful with the acclimation process but once they are acclimatted they should be fine.

Diane