PDA

View Full Version : PVC PIPE GLUE QUESTION

DISCUS USA
08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I wanted to know if the stuff i got is safe for my fish before i add them to my pvc connectors and piping.. i dont want to kill my fish thats why im asking before i proceed..

OATEY- ALL PURPOSE CEMENT FOR PVC,ABS,CPVC

OATEY- ALL PURPOSE PURPLE PRIMER FOR PVC , CPVC

and how long do i wait for these things to dry .. please someone take me thru this..lol.. appreciate any help..

hector--

kaceyo
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey Hector,
They're fine for tanks. Usualy they say they're OK for "potable" water somewhere, meaning it's good for drinking water.
Let it dry for AT LEAST 24hrs, 48hrs would be better.

Kacey

LizStreithorst
08-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I wanted to know if the stuff i got is safe for my fish before i add them to my pvc connectors and piping.. i dont want to kill my fish thats why im asking before i proceed..

OATEY- ALL PURPOSE CEMENT FOR PVC,ABS,CPVC

OATEY- ALL PURPOSE PURPLE PRIMER FOR PVC , CPVC

and how long do i wait for these things to dry .. please someone take me thru this..lol.. appreciate any help..

hector--

PVC cement will not harm the fish. Even if you drop in the tank water, it rises to the top and forms a mat. Youjust scoop it out with your hand.

DISCUS USA
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Kayce and Liz for the reply..

Ok so tell me if this is ok its wat im going to do tonite in fishroom .

Im going to use the purple primer let that dry for a few minutes then add the all purpose cement and put the connections together.. Let dry for 48 hours just to be on safe side,,after the 2 days i can start using the system i made to refill tanks...

Does that sound like a safe plan?? again thanks for the help peoples.. :)

Kenny's Discus
08-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Hector - that does sound about right, it's what I did to mine. Shouldn't be any problem.

Kenny

DISCUS USA
08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok then its a done deal..lol.. thanks Kenny,, you guys always come thru i appreciate it Liz & Kayce.. cant wait to just flick a switch and watch the tanks fill up mechanically ,, :)

Tony_S
08-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Even if you drop in the tank water, it rises to the top and forms a mat. Youjust scoop it out with your hand.

Had an accident did ya Liz!?:D

Tony;)

Graham
08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
While it achieves maxinium hold in 24/48 hours or so..these systems are not pressurized and the chemical bond should hold without any problem within a couple of hours.

I've glued 1'' to 4'' pipe and fittings and have never had a problem with unpressurized pipe.......with pressure that's another story.

DISCUS USA
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
GraHam ok i understand exactly what your saying.. cool good info .. cant wait to get busy with this later get this show on the road,,

LizStreithorst
08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Had an accident did ya Liz!?:D

Tony;)

Yes, I did. But Randy told me that it would be OK and he was right. :)