PDA

View Full Version : Geophagus Surinamensis?

tpl*co
08-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Has anybody kept this fish with their discus? Looks like they can take the same temps and are peaceful. (of course if the tank is bare bottom an "earth eater" may not be totally thrilled). Pro's and Con's (besides the bbb thing? LOL)

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile97.html

Tina

jaydoc
08-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Tina, I love this fish but true surinamensis are hard to find. Frequently what the LFS calls surinamensis are not. The only really nice ones I have seen have been in display tanks and not for sale. You are correct that these fish can tolerate discus waters and although they are technically in the "earth eater" category, I have seen them kept without substrate. They are more docile than most geophagus also. I have yet to hear from anyone wh actually has kept them together tho. I started a similiar post some months ago and it died. Hope you get some feedback! Two places to inquire would be Jeff Rapps and Tulsa Cichlids. I don't have website addy but you should be able to find them with a google search
Cary

tpl*co
08-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks Cary,

A LFS here has just got them and my jaw dropped. Even as a juvies the colors are beautiful, I can just imagine them bigger. I did do a google search and found one person that had them with discus, but that was just one post. Anybody else tried them?

Also, how do you sex a juvie regular cichlid?

Tina

Ed13
08-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Are they going for a good price? I'd buy them if they are.
As far as mixing earth eaters with discus, I've only seen it once but it was in a big aquarium (close to 400g), but the setup lasted shortly. I do remember the care taker telling me that the discus were not getting enough food and that in this case the satanopercas were getting to the breeding stage and were getting too aggressive