PDA

View Full Version : Tips for growing swords in a LT tank???

TrevorB
08-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi guys. Just wanted some help getting sword plants to really grow in a low tech tank. I have a 90 gal tank, 4 CF 55W bulbs (9650K??? - I'd have to look to be sure). Substrate is about 1.5" of profile with another 1 -1.5 " of silica sand. Around the swords I have laterite balls shoved down around the roots. I add Flourish about 1/week. I've just never gotten these things to grow real well - they live, but the leaves always look a little ragged around the edges.

Any advice on what I can do to get these plants really growing would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Trevor

marilyn1998
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Swords are root feeders. Try some Seachem root tabs. Are you adding any Excel? I would use that too.

TrevorB
08-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks Marilyn! Yes, I do use Excel once a week - well at least I try to. I'll give the root tabs a try. I was hoping that the laterite would be enough, but I suppose there are other nutrients that aren't in laterite that the plant needs.

Trevor

Ed13
08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
with that amount of light you'll be surprise how big they can grow with at least a DIY CO2 generator and the addition of the root tabs(seachem are my favorites as well)
I don't like sand with substrate feeders but they'll grow, a little more substrate would have been nice, trust me I've had to uproot two 27" E. bleheri and the size of the root system is impressive.

BTW, the two big swords were grown with only 4-40watt tubes and the addition of the root tabs, but it did have pressurized CO2