PDA

View Full Version : new diy co2 in my tank

kidnick
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
from my previous thread Iwas just adding the co2. Now I can say that a lot of the plants were pearling. I see what you mean . I didnt seeit till I unhooked the co2 unit to fix a new batch... I thought I killed it by adding extra sugar to it. The plants were throwing off o2 like crazy... It was sooooo cool as I had never seen anything like this before in my own tank I also already see new growth on some of the plants. I also learned that the glosso should be planted horizontily. My black marble angel kept pulling up my glosso every day, but I noticed that the pieces that were planted horizontily were. stiil there and putting out new leaves. Im having a little bit of algie growth starting but am trying to fight it naturally (extra plants, algie eating fish, snails). I am also wanting to know more about the Maylaision trumpet snails. Is it a given fact that the conical snails are considered the Maylaison trumpet snails?

Dood Lee
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I think it would be in your best interest to become a member of the planted tank forums at www.plantedtank.net. There are more people there that can answer your plant related questions.

I've never used malaysian trumpet snails, so I can't really answer your question on them. However, some people use nerite snails, since they don't reproduce in fresh water. There is a member here who uses them, shalu, but he hasn't been around (here and the planted tank forums) since December of last year.

Harriett
09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I love the little malaysian trumpet snails! They don't eat my plants, and they stay under the substrate pretty much working it all the time, aerating it while looking for missed food and rotting vegetation. They don't reproduce excessively, and since the babies make a very tasty snack for my clown loaches, there is a balance to the population. They are great; I make sure I have them in any planted tank I do.
Harriett

diablocanine
09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
algae = not enough CO2 in almost every case. Olive nerite snails are the best for planted tanks. Visit theplantedtank.net....DC

senso
09-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Just a word of caution on snails.
Malaysian trumpet snails. I have had the opposite result in that my tank became infested with them. Every week I would pull over 100 snails during water changes. Coupled with other regular snails that rapidly decimated my two Java Fern Mother plants, I had to introduce some loaches to the tank.