PDA

View Full Version : I got a BN today!

Jarrod
09-01-2006, 10:50 PM
My son and daughter-in-law came down and took my wife and I out to lunch. He asked if we wanted to hit a couple of pet stores as he has 5 or 6 tanks set up at his house. So anyway we went to a lfs one that I have traded at before and he asked one of the employees while I was hobbling around looking at the stock they had if they had any BN plecos. I didn't hear him asking them as I was on the other side of the room. Well when I saw the employee as I was looking at the tanks I asked her if they had any BN in stock...I had called them about BN about 2-3 weeks ago and asked if they had any..they told me they'd have some in that week. So I called them back the day they got their shipment in and asked again they said yes we got some in. Whan asked the price of them I was told 18.00 each for a BN that was maybe 2" long so at that price I kind of let it slide on by as that was a little too spendy for me. So when I asked the lady about them today she told me she had one but it had just been sold. It turned out my son bought it for me for a belated birthday present!! It's was a total shock to be sure! We came back home and I had to hustle to get my 25 gal tank set up and filled. I acclimated it with tank water of the same temp out of one of my other discus tanks. So as it stands now the BN is alone in the 25 where it's going to stay for a few weeks as a qt before I move it into any of my main discus tanks. The one thing I haven't done with the 25 gal yet is get it cycling...I had not planned on doing that until it was needed so I now have to get some biospira to cycle it which I'm not going to be able to do until after the Labor Day weekend is over. So I am hoping against hope the BN won't have any health issues due to not cycling the tank properly.
Sorry to ramble on so long but just wanted to share this.
Jarrod

CAGE-RATTLER
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Pics, Pics Pics :D

sleonard
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
I acclimated it with tank water of the same temp out of one of my other discus tanks.

That just seeded your filter. Save your money and don't get any Biospira. Instead, do more water changes for the next week or two.

Scott

Ed13
09-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Whan asked the price of them I was told 18.00 each for a BN that was maybe 2" long so at that price I kind of let it slide on by as that was a little too spendy for me.

Ha, and I have a hard time selling "an ugly pleco" (I really like them btw) for $3.99 at 2"-4"!!!!
Maybe, I should check into sending fish to the US!!;)
Nice off your son to get you something that you REALLY wanted, my family members won't go near a LFS even if their being dragged!

BTW, pics would be nice ( dying to see the sunshines;) )!

Kindredspirit
09-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Pics, Pics Pics :D

Ya think? Come ON Jarrod!:D Golly Gee! lol.....I thought sure there wld be a PICTURE!

Marie ~ :bandana:

AmberC
09-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Congrats Jarrod! That was very nice of your son! Sounds like it was a really nice day for you guys! Lunch out with the fam and new fish! How can you go wrong!!!!

Jarrod
09-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I am happy with the BN...I still have to find a small piece of driftwood to put in this tank which when I get it will be boiled to make sure it's clean and safe. And as for pics I am going to get some updated pics today hopefully of all of my finned pigs and get them posted as soon as I can. I am really looking forward to finding some more BN for my other tanks too...so I guess I'm gonna have to hit the I'm looking for forum and see who has what available and such.
Jarrod

Jarrod
09-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Well Scott the thing is I acclimated it the same way I do my discus. I open the bag and set it in a bucket and dip a cup of water from the tank and put it in the bag...I add another cup of water to the bag about every 10 -15 mins or so for about a 1/2 hr. or so....then I open the bag the rest of the way and net the fish out and put it in the tank and not put any of the bag water into the tank at all. I have this serious aversion to putting any water from an outside source into my tanks especially any from an LFS. This way I KNOW there are no unknown bad things going in. The biospira I trust and know helps my biofilter and it's not all that spendy IMHO especially if it prevents me from introducing anything detrimental to my tanks.
Jarrod

poconogal
09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Jarrod, congrats! That was a great day. Yep, they can be a bit pricey - I paid $15 each for my 2 inch BNs in my LFS. But with the clean up job they did, they were worth every penny!

Connie

Jarrod
09-02-2006, 09:04 AM
LOL Marie give me a bit of time here...I mean I am gonna get em taken and posted...lol...between wc's that is lol...but I do promise to get it all done and up and on here.
Jarrod

Jarrod
09-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Well Connie to be perfectly honest I was kinda shocked at the price of them! The lfs where my son bought this one had another pleco a sailfin think it was that was like 4-6 " long for less than the price of what he paid for the BN. What I don't understand is if BN are so easy to breed why they are that expensive in a lfs when they sell other plecos that are like 3x the size for the same or even less money. And YES Connie it was a wonderful day!
Jarrod

Kindredspirit
09-02-2006, 10:07 AM
LOL Marie give me a bit of time here

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_109v.gif

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_4.gif

Ed13
09-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Well Connie to be perfectly honest I was kinda shocked at the price of them! The lfs where my son bought this one had another pleco a sailfin think it was that was like 4-6 " long for less than the price of what he paid for the BN. What I don't understand is if BN are so easy to breed why they are that expensive in a lfs when they sell other plecos that are like 3x the size for the same or even less money. And YES Connie it was a wonderful day!
Jarrod

The reason is that BN are easily bred at home but, not on a large scale, meaning that except for albinos and Long-finned varieties pretty much all of the BN in stores are wild caught. On the other hand Liposarcus (common plecos), some Hypostomus and Gibbyceps are easily produced on a large scale but not so at home. That’s why these species are usually cheaper than wild caught plecos even if they are bigger.

The market in which you are also has something to do about it. For example a 2”-3” common pleco retails in the island for about $1.99 while a BN of similar size retails for about $3.99, while Spotted BN and Clown plecos for around $6.50. Consumers on my neck of the woods would have a heart attack if a full grown common BN goes any higher than $12.99 at around 5”. All of this without a sale tax.