PDA

View Full Version : Angels aggressive eaters?

AmberC
09-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I am curious how many of you say your angel fish are more aggressive than your discus as far as feeding time is concerned.

I say NO. My angels are definitely not more aggressive feeders than the discus I used to have and no where near as aggressive feeders as my madagascar rainbowfish are.

diskboy
09-02-2006, 06:40 PM
i say that if you get small quarter size angels and put them in with 3-4 in. discus and let them grow together than they should do fine but not bigger angels than discus (angel 3-4, discus 2+in.)

crazie.eddie
09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Both of my angels are aggressive. They are close to 4" and I had them for maybe 5 years or more. My discus recent purchase of discus are a little smaller, at about 3"-3.5". During feeding time, it's a feeding frenzy with all my fish, more the angels, since they get to the food faster. They recognize me and when they see my hand above the tank, they know food is neary. The discus seemed overwhelmed by this, so what I often do is just food food on the other end of the tank, which most of the fish go for and drop frozen bloodworms on the suface of the water, closer to the discus.

The beefheart, even though all my fishes start nibbling at them, they quickly ignore it, with the exception of the clown loaches. I throw some hikari sinking carnivore pellets, which they love, on the other end of the tank so they can ignore the beefheart.

poconogal
09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Any Angel I've ever had has been an extremely aggressive eater. However, at one point I put my one remaining Angel (she killed her mate) into my Discus tank. When surrounded by the slower eating Discus, she actually slowed her eating as well and was not nearly as aggresive an eater as she had been.

Connie

TINNGGG
09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I would say...it depends.

I have 3 peruvian angels and have had them for nearly 2 years. I got them at around dime size. The tank they're in gets a generous w/c once a week coupled with periodic new plants added, algae scraped, etc. You'd think they'd be used to me messing with their tank. Every time I go near their tank, especially if I go to lift the lid, they vanish. They get fed 1-3 times a day. They sortof can be conditioned to say, breakfast, but they stay back warily and only partake as food passes them. They are more aggressive if I'm not too close to the tank.

By the same token, I have some mixed domestic juvie angels who, after noting I sometimes approach their tank armed with a turkey baster (means the good stuff is on its way. woohoo!) get excited to see me. My moving 2 of these from a q/t to a grow-out didn't slow them down a bit.

White Worm
09-23-2006, 11:31 PM
My angels are agressive eaters but my discus arent no slow pokes. Noone seems to get any more than anyone else. I feed quite a bit at food time so there is plenty to go around.

crazie.eddie
09-24-2006, 01:12 AM
My recent discus are more aggressive than my angels. I'm surprise my angels get any bites of bloodworms after the discus get through with it.

AmberC
09-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :D

Ryan
09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
I think most cichlids, when hungry, are aggressive eaters. My angelfish have always been aggressive eaters. My discus will usually eat really well, but they do tend to leave some food on the bottom and pick through it. My angelfish rarely let food hit the bottom, and if they do it's because they're too full to eat.

chris allsop
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
when i used to breed angels a few years ago they were not bad at all, but ive never kept angels and discus together