PDA

View Full Version : algie problem

kidnick
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Ok I have my new light system and DIY Co2 . Now I have algie... there is a fine brown algie starting ( some are over taken) to take over the whole tank..... At first it started in the corners of the tank and at the gravel level. Then it started spreading like crazy.I tried to get a test kit that covered everthing but I was told I would have to buy seperate test kits to find out all the perameters I want to know about . I want to know about the Iron, Potasium , mangenese, magnesium etc... and I cant find a kit at any of my lfs for sale that gives me this info.... what do I do? I want to know about iron levels, co2 levels etc.. Please help if you can.

Marinemom
09-03-2006, 12:58 PM
How long has the tank been set up and is it fully cycled? If the tank is relatively new, the brown algae you mentioned is called diatoms and is part of the natural cycle that a tank goes through as it matures in the first year. I know it looks terrible so think about getting a BN pleco. He will take care of it in no time. Even if you do nothing about it, it will go away on it's own. Most people do not want to wait for this to happen though.

As far as the test kits go, I am sure someone else will be along soon to help you with that.

Good luck with your tank.

Diane

Dave_Discus
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Order the test kits and buck up for next day shipment.
I assume you have the normal test kits...PH, etc...

Iron and co2 are the most important.

Not uncommon to get an aglea bloom with new lights.
Give it some time and keep up on the WC and manually
remove algea as you can.

Planted tank takes a balance of nutrients...too little of one
or too much of the other can fuel algea like fire.

nacra99
09-04-2006, 02:12 AM
What kind of algae do you have? color? texture?
R u fertilizing?
How long are your lights on everyday?
Is your tank stocked? How many fish are in there?

Make sure you start out your planted tank with lots of fast growing stem plants like Luwidgia etc. These will help keep the nutrient balance in check.