PDA

View Full Version : pictus cat w/ discus?

sidney
09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Has anyone here kept pictus cats with discus? I absolutely love them, they're my favorite cats, but it's been suggested to me that it's a bad idea to keep whiskered cats in with any kind of cichlid, as the cichlids will allegedly eat the whiskers off them.

Ed13
09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
but it's been suggested to me that it's a bad idea to keep whiskered cats in with any kind of cichlid, as the cichlids will allegedly eat the whiskers off them.

NOT true I've kept them with many aggressive cichlids even Amphilophus Labiatum( in a pond only) along some Sorubim lima. What they may have notice is the deterioration of the feelers(whiskers) from the pollution in the water caused by the usually messier and bulkier fish in small tanks.

In a way Pimelodus pictus is like a Discus, usually considered weaker than other members of their family, but in fact are usually mishandled by dealers and the fact that like discus they require very clean water. I've never kept them with discus, but I imagine that they will suffer a lot in the high heat because they come from cooler waters and they seem to need high levels of dissolved oxygen. Does not help either that they REALLY don't like meds nor SALT .

sidney
09-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Mmm, hadn't thought about the temp issue. Cories it is, I guess.

Ed13
09-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Cories are a good choice, but,search the site as not all will take the temp

greyhoundfan
09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I had a pictus too, and it was non stop swimming up and down, up and down, side to side. All that action might spook your discus.

Marinemom
09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I would not put a pictus cat with discus. I think they may be just too feisty for the discus and possibly scare them. I do have two pictus cats in my 125 gallon south american cichlid tank and they have been there for years. Needless to say, they are now huge. They do not seem to have any problems hanging with these big bruisers.

Diane