PDA

View Full Version : Starting the RIGHT way...

Go For It
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Okay... so I know I have been posting with numerous "beginner questions" about starting up a proper Discus tank, and I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to get into it until I am COMPLETELY ready with a PERFECT set-up and THE BEST Discus I could find; whether or not that means I have to save money for years in order to reach that goal.

I have a basic 60-gallon tank set-up, with a 250 watt heater, and an Aqua Clear 110 running with a pre-filter and no carbon. The tank is currently decorated with gravel and "Coral Decor" and also has a few fish living in it (3 Rummy-Nose Tetras, 1 Bushy-Nose Pleco, 2 Kihlis, and 1 Leopard Bush Fish). My plan is to remove the gravel and decor and purchase 5 or 6 Discus and raise them in a Bare-Bottom tank (...as for the other fish... I am planning on keeping the 3 Tetras as well as the Bushy-Nose with the Discus, but giving the Kihlis and the Leopard Bush Fish to a close friend who has room in their Freshwater aquarium for them). I know many of you strongly believe that Discus should be kept in a Bare-Bottom tank, but I really, really, REALLY feel Discus look stunning in a nicely decorated tank, but ONLY when they are adults. Therefore, I plan on keeping the Discus in a BB tank for a year and then re-decorating the aquarium. I hope this is a good "plan"... any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Now, for purchasing the Discus... I went to the Aquarium Shop that is a distributor of Jack-Wattley Discus and looked at their selection (...my intentions were just to LOOK and not BUY, and I stuck to it). Most of the Discus were stunning, but I was left there confused as which were of good proportion and coloring and which weren't, ect. Not to mention the prices... they were all about $100.00. So I am beginning to think my best bet would be to buy from a reputable breeder online... but which one? I want to be sure I will be receiving healthy Discus of high quality. Which breeder would you guys recommend the most (...I know some breeders may be more pricey than others... but, like I said, I would much prefer saving money to buy perfect Discus than to rush into it and buy Discus of less quality)? So which breeder would you guys recommend the most?

Well... I am starting off very, very slowly, but at least I am doing it right; and soon, I'll have a tank filled with healthy, happy, and very nice Discus. Thank you in advance for your help.

steve.ryall
09-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Go for it,

I seems you have been doing your homework. I will probably upset a few by saying this, and I know why too, but when I started in discus, I started with a planted tank. I enjoyed the plants and the way the fish interacted with them and the fish looked happy. I had not discovered this site or similar back then, so knew no difference.
I bought six small 2.5" discus from my LFS and away I went. I am now probably 2 years into these fish right now, and have learned an awfull lot here with the help of our experts and friends on Simply. Out of the six I started with I have 3 left, three were stunted and have since died, the other 3 have grown really well to over 6". From that first six I have a confirmed female and a confirmed male, the male is a lovely pigeon blood the female a lovely blue diamond. The 3 that died never grew, was that down to being in a planted tank?........would they have grown in a bare bottomed???

There are, and have been some very heated discussion about how to 'grow out' fish for the best results. But it really depends on your outlook to fish keeping and what you really want from a discus tank. At the time I started, I just wanted a tank that looked nice and natural with a small shoal of fish that would grow up and look nice, which they have. Had I wanted to have fish that I wanted to grow to their fullest potential, and I had known about it, then bare bottom would have been the way.

I now know the pros and cons of planted and bare bottom keeping. Discus are not the delicate fish I think some would have you think, as long as your parameters are right, you can bring them up both ways.
I think you have done the right thing and researched the discus subject well, and not jumped in, but decide what you really want, because there are so many different ways of doing it.
Good luck in your new venture, you'll get hooked very quickly.....like most of us here.

HTH Steve ;)

bosher
09-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Having experienced both sides of the coin so to speak in repsect of planted and bare bottom tanks, It all really depends on what you would like to do and what your preferences are I know of quite a few people who have sucesfully grown juveniles in planted tanks out but this In my opinion is not the norm. I started out with 6 juvenile discus in a planted tank and out of those 6, 2 became big strapping adults the others whilst they grew did not aclimatise thereselves as well.

I changed to a BB tank and used plastic plants with some bogwood out of the 4 Juveniles I got again 2 became big robust. the other 2 again did well but not as well I would would have liked. Overall the BB for me is the best way to go as the maint of the planted tank was always a concern adding KNO3 and iron and Pottasium making sure that not to much phosphate was in my water all in order to make the eco system work as it should - which it did for year or so before I decided that I just didnt have the time.

You have obvioulsy given some thought into the set up however I mention a word of caution you say in a planted tank in the future you will be using "Coral Decor" if I understand you correctly I would advise against this coral has the ability just like most calcium based products to buffer the water and increase the KH and GH thus potentialy affecting the PH of the water at the end of the day a stable ph good food and top notch water are all that your fish need. therefore if/when you introduce your coral I would monitor the water carefully to make sure that the its properties do not deviate to much from the current perameters- whilst adult fish are more hardy and to a certain extent will tolerate more you are at the end of the day wanting to make sure that you keep them in the best possible condition and water water water goes a long long way in helping to do this:)

Good luck

Go For It
09-04-2006, 10:41 AM
My room has a "Surfer" theme so I wanted my tank to look like a Saltwater tank. By "Coral Decor" I just meant the theme, none of it is real, but is a pretty good imitation (...they are practically pieces of art called "Nature's Image" designed by Walt Smith... it's pricey, but VERY nice; here's a link to the website...http://www.naturesimageonline.com/RetailerDefault.htm). As far as real plants... I don't think I will have any, so there is no worry of adding any chemicals or anything that can affect the water quality of the tank. The only thing the tank will contain is gravel and just imitated coral reef decor (...I am also careful in choosing decor that is made of soft material or is smooth as to not injure the fins of the fish). But again, none of this stuff will be placed into the tank until the Discus have been raised for AT LEAST a year in a bare-bottom to insure they have grown into healthy, mature adults.

Now, like I said in my previous post... I was pretty much lost when I visited the aquarium shop that is a distributor of Jack-Wattley Discus. What is good body structure? What is good coloring? Should I buy a fish with peppering or will it not go away? I had NO idea. So, I think my best bet would be to purchase for a reputable breeder online, but which one? Which breeder would you guys recommend the MOST for selling Discus of superb health and quality? Thanks again.

Michael

steve.ryall
09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Michael,

Choosing the right fish is difficult. Knowing what you are getting if you buy them small is sometimes a hit and miss affair. I would take a good look at the 'University' section here where our resident experts are able to comment on the fish that we post for critique.

You should find that quite interesting, I do, and learn lots about what makes a good and bad fish. You will soon know what to look for.
Being in the UK I cannot help you with recommending a good breeder, so I'll leave that to the others. Whatever you get, make sure you post some photos, be good to see your setup.

Steve

Jarrod
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Michael, You are to be applauded for doing your homework on your endeavor!
It sounds like it is going to be a beautiful tank when set up the way you want it. In regards to the Wattley Discus instead of paying lfs prices you could purchase online from either one of the SD sponsors or order directly from Jack Wattleys website. I have ordered and gotten fish from Wattleys and I am absolutely happy with them and my dealings with Gabriel who is the one I dealt with at Wattleys. This is not to say disregard anyone else but more just my personal experience. Best of luck in your wonderful journey into the fascinating rewarding world of Discus.
Jarrod

Willie
09-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Your best shot is to find a local breeder. Lots of them in the Bay Area. Fewer in the LA basin. Go and check out their fishroom. Do ALL the fish look healthy? Pick the best looking fish out of their tank. Try to buy ALL your fish from a single source at ONE time. You'll do a lot better than $100 per fish.

Willie