PDA

View Full Version : What algae eaters & bottom feeders go with discus?

bnii
09-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I go rid of my large pleco when I started buying discus, but I dont want algae to take over my tank. LFS says a gold nugget pleco goes with discus, and they are very cool looking. Any others? Will dojos go ok with discus?

Willie
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Bristlenose plecos are fool proof with discus. Most of the fancier ones will spend their time hiding behind the driftwood.

Willie

poconogal
09-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I've got 2 albino BNs in my 45. I love them. They have cleaned up my tank so it sparkles, airline tubing, heater cord, silk plant leaves, you name it, they cleaned it. No more algae left, so now I feed zucchini and algae wafers. They do not go near the Discus.

I also have 2 cory cats, which are fine, but some of them can't take the Discus tank temps.

bnii
09-05-2006, 02:47 AM
I have 3 cory cats in there already, my temp is 82, can I raise it a little more? say 84? or is that too high for some fo the other fish? Thats it, I need another tank. I am going to confiscate my friends 55 gallon and keep mine for the discus and angels only.

crazie.eddie
09-05-2006, 02:55 AM
If you can afford it, a zebra pleco. They are perfect tank mate for discus, becuase...

1. Like high temps
2. Like meaty foods, like BW, BH, etc.
3. Grow to only about 4"

Unfortunately, they are NOT algae eaters. A BN would be best or my favorite, Gold nugget pleco.

Bluebell
09-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Dojos are coldwater so not suitable with discus which is need warm temps in order to thrive.

reeffreak25
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I was under the impression that gold nuggets didn't eat algae.

crazie.eddie
09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
GN are grazers. Whether they meant to eat the algae or not, I don't care. Mine does a good job cleaning a piece of wood from algae.

reeffreak25
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
GN are grazers. Whether they meant to eat the algae or not, I don't care. Mine does a good job cleaning a piece of wood from algae.
They eat decomposing wood, that is why there is no algae on your driftwood.

poconogal
09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I have 3 cory cats in there already, my temp is 82, can I raise it a little more? say 84? or is that too high for some fo the other fish? Thats it, I need another tank. I am going to confiscate my friends 55 gallon and keep mine for the discus and angels only.
What Cories do you have? Mine is at 84 with a Panda Cory and a Jullii Cory, 2 BNs and a dozen Cardinals Tetras along with the Discus.

crazie.eddie
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
They eat decomposing wood, that is why there is no algae on your driftwood.

They don't eat wood.

Feeding

These fish are grazers, but not in the sense that they eat only vegetation. They actually sift and chew at the film of organic matter on hard surfaces in search of higher protein foods. In the wild this would constitute a variety of foods from small insect larvae and crustaceans to other animals eggs and possibly even recently dead animals. With this in mind, frozen foods such as bloodworm and blackworm should be offered along with frozen prawns. Algae and plants are avoided, but cucumber and courgette appear on the accepted menu. Accepted food morsel size changes with age in all of these fish. (from PlanetCatfish.com (http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=154))

reeffreak25
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not here to argue. I state my opinion on years of experience and extensive research. If you do a little more research yourself you might find that you still have a more to learn.

Ed13
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
They don't eat wood.

In the case of Barryancistrus spec., They gnaw on it and swallow the shavings of wood in our tanks and in the wild, so they eat it. The argument for sometime now has been if the derive any measurable nutritional benefit from eating the wood(similar to the bacteria in the gut of panaques that process the wood eaten) vs if it is used as a tool in the aid of digestion vs if it is a side effect of gnawing on it to get at the awfuchs and microscopic organisms living on the wood. In the broadest sense in the wild it is found in the digestive tracks of the fish so technically it is eaten;) Why not provide it to them in our tanks

Ed13
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Have you read this threads
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52461
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52801
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52256
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52205
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=52215

There is alot of info on Simply just have to use the search button more often:D

crazie.eddie
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I have done my research AND I also own a GN. I know several others that do. They are grazers. The wood pieces I have in my tank are not petrified wood. If the GN eats wood, I certainly would notice it especially after 5 years of having the GN and the wood. Many others that I know who also have GN and wood in their tank share the same experience as I have.

sublevel007
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe your GN's are just picky, mine eats the wood and so do all of my friends. Could be the supplier you are buying from

Ed13
09-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Maybe your GN's are just picky, mine eats the wood and so do all of my friends. Could be the supplier you are buying from

I've taken care of dozens by now and all have eaten the wood also:rolleyes:

swinters66
09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
**mine eats the wood and so do all of my friends**

Your friends eat wood??

:laugh: :laugh: Couldn't help myself.

Minh K
09-08-2006, 03:46 AM
I dont know if you read my other thread but rubberlip plecos seem to be alright. They are found at most petsmarts for about 5 bucks. maximum length is about 5-6 inches. read my other thread for more information that Ed13 gave me.

I also have a team of ghost shrimp that do a good job of eating discus poop. They are about 10 for a buck here.

I have a team of ghost shrimp that do a good job of eating discus poop. They are about 10 for a buck here. They dont eat algae tho.