PDA

View Full Version : Sappy question. Do discus get lonely?

Dave_Discus
09-06-2006, 05:21 PM
My dragon is acting sad. Looks great just seems like she misses
her former deceased mate. I know it sounds silly...but do they
miss partners when seperated? Recognize old partners?

Whats the bond with with the mate deal?

Jarrod
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Dave;
Never having personally had this experience I would still say yes they get somewhat lonely. Like any other creature that exists...it may not be "lonely" in the human sense of the word but I would imagine that it would desire some of it's own species or a mate when the time is right...actually no different than humans in my estimation just not able to "vocalize" it any manner that we as humans can comprehend. Think about the human race and how lonely we get when deprived of the company of others. I know humans have feelings and emotions far above most other creatures on earth but just because we aren't able to comprejend and understand their feelings does not neccesarily mean that they don't exist. Things like pain and happiness are subjective yet very real to whatever creature is experiencing them all of the above is of course JHMO.
Jarrod

crazie.eddie
09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if they get lonley. I guess the feeling of safety in numbers. If the fish that died was the more outgoing, venturing first, after going in hiding, then the other discus probably used it as a sense of security.

Harriett
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Interesting question...I've never really attributed emotions to any other fish I've kept, but my discus do ACT like they do experience some of these things: loneliness, excitement, play behavior, etc occasionally....that might sound nuts.
Consider the source, as they say.
Harriett

White Worm
09-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Feeling / Emotions? Not sure. Breeding is instinct and they will do it with any partner most times. Loss of a partner could just be insecurity with small numbers. Discus are schooling fish and they feel safer and more comfortable in groups. Even when you put a new pair into a breeder tank, at first they are not used to being away from the community, pack, school, etc. They are not mated for life so I dont think they would literally miss a mate but I dont know. I have seen them automatically tend to a discus that may be sick but this could be natural instinct also. Hard to say. When I look at them, I could swear sometimes I see their individual personalities. I'm just another discus nut I guess and thats ok.

poconogal
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Someone else just mentioned in a post that one of their Discus lost its mate and it is grieving, so maybe it is possible. She has other Discus in the tank so I don't think its a question of not being in a group, either. In fact, the breeder that I bought my Discus from has a pair of BDs and the male is old and slowly declining. Yet he has him with his mate simply because she IS his mate.

lhforbes12
09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Interesting question...I've never really attributed emotions to any other fish I've kept, but my discus do ACT like they do experience some of these things: loneliness, excitement, play behavior, etc occasionally....that might sound nuts.
Consider the source, as they say.
Harriett

I does sound nuts and I am considering the source. <ducking>

Dave_Discus
09-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Ok...Im not alone I see.

I tend to get attached to each fish...except my "alleged"
chinese algea/discus suckers I can't catch.

White Worm
09-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Someone else just mentioned in a post that one of their Discus lost its mate and it is grieving, so maybe it is possible. She has other Discus in the tank so I don't think its a question of not being in a group, either. In fact, the breeder that I bought my Discus from has a pair of BDs and the male is old and slowly declining. Yet he has him with his mate simply because she IS his mate.
I think it could be possible to an extent.....Could the breeder doing it for the discus or for his own way of feeling better? Its kinda like decorating a tank (its not for the fish, its more for the keeper) The discus wouldnt miss a couple of colorful fake plants. I'll bet the female would pair up again and not have lingering guilt. Good for the male I bet though. I would probably do the same :D . Although, you can definately tell when something is wrong or different in the tank just by certain discus behaviors, so one way or another, they do communicate.

steve.ryall
09-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I have a friend, yes, I do have friends, who had a breeding pair of Blue Diaonds. They spawned a few times for hi but as in a community tank never survived, but then after maybe a year or more together the male ran off with another female in his tank. From that point on the female just stopped eating hid and even though was amoungst others in the tank just would not respond and eventually died.
Was this due to being lonely or brokren hearted?? I dont know? might have been down to infection of some type I suppose??

Anyway thats my story. :)

Steve

09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I really doubt their is any emotional aspect to this. Animals are habitual and any change in routine or scenery would disrupt their usual behavior

Harriett
09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey Larry! Bite me!
best regards
Harriett

Timbo
09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
hehe