PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, picture to share

ejbbean
09-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but already learned so much from you all.
Here are a couple of pictures of my 65G.

ejbbean
09-08-2006, 11:12 PM
another one

kelsf
09-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Hello EJ, Welcome, Nice setup

Kelvin,

CAGE-RATTLER
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Welcome Aboard ............. and beautiful setup you got!

Ed13
09-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Bienvenido al site!:D Tank looks good!

greyhoundfan
09-08-2006, 11:53 PM
One of the best I've seen in a while. Thanks for posting yor pics.

Ed13
09-09-2006, 12:16 AM
One of the best I've seen in a while. Thanks for posting yor pics.

You know something, even though it may not win a competition at the moment(hope I don't offend you), I like this tank more and more every time I look at it.
It has the right plants, the right tank mates in small #s(although boesemani rainbows grow too large for a 65g in my opinion), it provides a space for foraging (the right kind, sand) and for me the most important thing, not being blinded by a large # of discus of bright and different variants. I've would have opted for a small school of rummy's, but that's just me! I am going to point to this photo everyone looking to start a planted discus tank!
Let the setup mature a bit and maybe rearrange the blyxa a little bit, it could become something special!

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.
Ed, actually I did put a school (20 of them) of rummynose in, all of them were eaten by the discus in 1 day!!! Talking about expensive snacks!
I also agree on those rainbows are little bit too large for the tank, but I've been keeping them for over a year, they never bother my discus and I don't have another tank to put them in, so I guess I'll just leave them alone for now.
Again thanks for your input.
Regards,
Frank

Ed13
09-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.
Ed, actually I did put a school (20 of them) of rummynose in, all of them were eaten by the discus in 1 day!!! Talking about expensive snacks!
I also agree on those rainbows are little bit too large for the tank, but I've been keeping them for over a year, they never bother my discus and I don't have another tank to put them in, so I guess I'll just leave them alone for now.
Again thanks for your input.
Regards,
Frank

Wow, I've never heard of Rummys being eating by discus, on the other had I always add all of the other fish months before the discus so...

If it makes you feel better I had a customer told me when I went to check his discus tank ( a nice and small 8'x2'x2.5' tank) with 13 full grown discus that about a year earlier than my visit he added 150 cardinals one afternoon and woke up to 19, two days later only one remained! The average price for wild caught cardinals is $1.99 in the island and even higher for farm raised ones! Even with a discount he could not get them under $1.49 or $1.25 (he was not sure) so do the math and the result is still, ouch!

What I meant by the rainbows was not that they will bother the discus but that they can attain at least 6-8" in length and a 65g is not large enough to support them long term, giving you problems with water quality and algae and because of their speed not allowing the discus enough food! this might take sometime and may not even happen in your tank, but it has a big chance of happening!
Just my two cents!

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Ed, yea, I added rummynose after Discus.
They were actually doing fine at first, none of my discus even looked at them. But as soon as I turned the light off later of the day, all the discus started to chase the poor rummys just like on command and finished them up one by one. I couldn't find a single one left next morning.
I'll probably give the rainbows to my friend, thanks for the suggestion.
Regards

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 07:20 AM
pic 3

Kindredspirit
09-09-2006, 09:32 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif Welcome to Simply Frank! I really like your tank and the pictures are awesome as well~

I have Rams too! Is this your only tank? Cuz if it is not ~ well ya know what that means?

Marie~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

Dave_Discus
09-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Realy like you tank there...tell us some technical aspects...lighting...
filtration...dosing for te plants...

How long has it been up? Looks real nice.

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Marie, yea this is my only tank. (Cut down from three tanks, new born baby keeps me busy! :D )
I have 4 Blue Rams and 4 Bolivian Rams in there and they've been doing great with discus. I read your post on the war between your rams and discus, are they fine now?
Regards,
Frank

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Dave, thanks for the comments, here are some specs:
Tank - 65 G acrylic (48x18X16)
Lighting - Odyssea 2X130W daylight 6500K with moonlight, I only run one bulb 8 hours per day though.
CO2 - Two DIY bottles with glass diffusers.
Dosing - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive every 2 days, also with plant root tabs buried under substrate (sand).
Filtration - Odyssea CFS4 Canister (Volume around 280G/H)
Temp - 84F, two Ebo-Jager 250W heaters.
Plants - Amazon swords, red melon swords, red lotus, blyxa japonica, crypts, weeping moss, java ferns,... with some manzanita branches as hardscape.
Fish - Discus (three red turks, one blue turk, two blue diamonds), eight rams, six cory cats, three rainbows,three otos cats .
Feeding - Twice a day, rotate with frozen blood worm, beef heart, color bites and flakes
Water Change - 30%-40% everyday or every 2 days if I get lazy.

Tank has been running about 6 months, and so far with no major issues. Had some minor algae problem but those otos pretty much took care of it.

Regards,
Frank

Ed13
09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
[quote=ejbbean]Dave, thanks for the comments, here are some specs:
Fish - Discus (three red turks, one blue turks, two blue diamonds)/quote]

Are the BD the dark shadow under the amazon on the left?

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Ed, you get absolutely amazing eyes!! Yea, the BDs were hiding under the sword since they are kinda camera shy, plus I turned on the light to take the pictures while there were resting in the dark. So you know they freaked out a little bit.

Mattie
09-09-2006, 02:07 PM
your discus looks stunning...........

(my discus killed 2 Kuhli Loaches in the comunity tank)

09-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I really think this is a great looking tank with nice discus!

ejbbean
09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mattie and 1977.
I guess it's easier to keep adult size discus in a well maintained planted tank, but to grow out juv size, it'd be another story.

Kindredspirit
09-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I read your post on the war between your rams and discus, are they fine now?
Regards,
Frank

A new baby? How very cool Frank ~ The Rams are better now yes ~ I just put two into my new 55gal with my new juvies.....I mean are fish not suppose to SWIM? lol! They are little and this tank is big and deep....

Worked like a charm;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

jeep8rus
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Looks nice, keep it up.

nacra99
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM
That's a nice set up!
I like it! =)

Marc

Twize
09-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your specs & pix. This is a very nice aquarium. I love the way you designed it.

Thanks,
Ted

ejbbean
09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Marie, Jeep, Marc, and Ted for the kind words!
Ted, I can't wait to see the completion of your tank. It blew me away without anything in it!
Regards,
Frank

pcsb23
09-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Frank,
Very nice. :)

Marinemom
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Very beautiful tank. I love the way you planted it and the use of sand. Your discus are beautiful!

Diane

Apistomaster
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Your tank is lovely but I think you indicted the wrong fish for the disappearance of the rummynoses. I would blame those big rainbows. In 40 years and thousands of discus I've never had a discus eat a rummynose. They are a standard companion fish in the different display tanks I've had over the years. Now cardinals are another matter. Not that the discus eat them but their numbers always seem to diminish over time but I suspect that they do better at 80dF and that the rummys do better at discus temps.

ejbbean
09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Your tank is lovely but I think you indicted the wrong fish for the disappearance of the rummynoses. I would blame those big rainbows. In 40 years and thousands of discus I've never had a discus eat a rummynose. They are a standard companion fish in the different display tanks I've had over the years. Now cardinals are another matter. Not that the discus eat them but their numbers always seem to diminish over time but I suspect that they do better at 80dF and that the rummys do better at discus temps.

Hmm, I don't know, I actually saw the discus chasing the poor rummys and ate them. Do you think it's because the rummys I got were small? I'll definitely get rid off the rainbows though, since they are kinda too big for the tank.
Maybe I'll give rummys another try (I'll get "adult size rummys" this time), I absolutely love the scene of a big school of rummynoses swimming in a planted tank.
Thanks,
Frank

Darren's Discus
09-26-2006, 09:47 PM
welcome to simply the best discus site ever,your tank anf fish look great !

cheers

robust discus
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
nicely done

standoyo
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
That's a lovely tank. Those Boesmani rainbows are nice and they like small fish and shrimp!
It's hard to keep them in planted tanks because they eat the helpful yamato's.

GrillMaster
10-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Awsome and very natural looking tank!!:thumbsup:

I know your running 2 heaters, but is there anyway of hiding the one on the right behind the sword on the left? Its kinda distracts the eye from the beauty of this tank...

ejbbean
10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Bastalker, I actually already moved the heater on the right and the green filter pipe out from the view! I'll post a pic later. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
Frank

TheXman
10-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Wow, that's a nice tank with some very beautiful fish, I'm so jealous! Sorry to hear that the rummys didn't make it, although I did see what was probably your last survivor of the bunch in the first pic.