PDA

View Full Version : Does your Discus freeks when you change their water?

dandestroy
09-14-2006, 12:32 AM
I do dayli 50 % WC and 80% on sunday.

but as soons as I start pumping the water out my discus freeks and hide in the corner.
It takes about 1 hours after the WC before they resume normal behavior.

Is it normal to take that long to recover form a WC.

My WC consit pumping out the water with an external pump (so all the plumping are all setted in the tank already so I don't need to disturb the fish by working the tank to much). Filling the tank is done form a 24h age water barel with an other pump.

takes about 10 min total for a 50% WC of my 55 gal.

The storage water has almost the same temp, pH than my tank.

White Worm
09-14-2006, 01:09 AM
New water is same temp and params I am guessing? Mine dont really care now. They even come over and swim under the bucket of water I'm pouring in. All discus are different I guess. Mine are swimming normal in minutes if anything and I think they know that i give them their favorite treat after a wc. they arent stupid.
Actually...Mine changed for the better when I stopped having my whole arm in the tank. Now I just use a long PVC home made vacuum and they seem to be less afraid.

lhforbes12
09-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Francois,
I agree that giving them their favorite food is a good idea after a wc, mine actually look forward to a wc. As soon as the water starts going back into the tank they move over to the feeder cone because they know they are going to get CBW.

poconogal
09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Mine used to freak and hide, now they sort of hang out on one side of the tank, but they come out right away after the WC. I began giving them a treat after a WC, so they know that they will get a goody afterwards. In fact, the last WC, they were up waiting for their treat before the tank was completely filled. Now they are spoiled! Also, in my case anyway, my Discus prefer my arm to the Python tube. My arm they try to eat, the Python tube still scares them a little. Maybe my arm just tastes better? :D

Connie

swinters66
09-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah mine used to do that also. They really pay me no mind anymore, but they don't hide...they just stay on whatever side of the tank I'm not on.

Marinemom
09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't say that mine freak out anymore. In fact, when I am doing my water changes in that tank, my discus follow the syphon around. If I need to clean in the spot where they are, a lot of the time they do not want to move out of the way. I sometimes have to nudge them to get them to move so I can see what I am doing when I clean thier tank. Just give them some time and let them get used to everything. I'm sure that they will come around eventually.

Diane

wolfbane
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Mine hide behind the big driftwood while I clean and siphon off the water, then on fill-up, the start coming out to enjoy the clean water! Like everyone else, they get a favorite treat, FBW, after I'm done.

dandestroy
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
ok I'm going to try giving them some treat right after.

I guess at first they will probably not care much for it, but form what you are all telling me this should help a lot.

thanks

LizStreithorst
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Strange. Mine seem to enjoy WC. Like Diane's I have to bump mine out of the way with the syphon hose. When I fill back up they dance around in the current.

White Worm
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Mine also enjoy it. They will sit under the new stream of water coming in the tank. It will turn them sideways sometimes but they fight to stay in the stream and come right back for more. I think they are actually having fun. I dont use the python anymore because it is big and bulky. I made a 1/2 PVC pipe attached to drain hose and now I am not hovering over them with my arms in the tank. Even then, I had to move them out of the way but they would kinda hang out on one side (a little stressed). Now....they dont care one bit.

mmorris
09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
I've had my discus for a couple of months or more and they still don't like it. They get a treat as soon as I've finished though so they are out and about the second I am done. The treat is a signal that I am finished so I would recommend you resist the urge to wipe something down or fiddle with something once they have received their treat. Do everything you have to do before you give it to them, and then its hands off! Martha NTD