PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yo loaches and discus

Marinemom
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
:o My tank is a 46 gallon bowfront for my discus. Currently there are four discus, six panda cories, eight glo-light tetras and a clown pleco as well as an albino bristlenose pleco. Can I put a loache or two in with the discus, or is this going to freak them out too much? The water paremeters are fine. The filteration is an eheim classic 2215 along with a penguin 170. The tank has been up now for more than four years. The substrate is eco-complete and this is a fully planted aquarium. Well,at least it was before the pleco incident. I'm doing the best I can to get it back to what it was before that happened, but I guess it is just going to take some time.I was thinking about the Yo-YO loache. Do they need to be in groups with the discus or are they better off alone?

Diane

pcsb23
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Adding 3 or 4 yo-yo's should be fine, they are generally very nice loaches and can become active during daylight too. They can go about 6" and do best in small groups of 3 or more.

hth,

mench
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Just my opinion,but I think you are getting a tad bit over stocked..If you want more fish,I would think about getting a larger tank.

Mench

Timbo
09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
i'm with the Menchman....gettin close to overstocking putting more fish than you already have in a 46

Marinemom
09-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I think I'm going to stick with what I have for now. When I get that bigger tank(I'm thinking about a 200 gallon) then I will have more oppurtunities to add more of the fish I want.

Diane

kjmillerfw
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
One of the guys in our local aquatic plant club has a beautiful high-tech planted discus tank. Here's a link that has pictures and all of the details. (http://www.pbase.com/sangster/fish_tank&page=all)

One of our monthly meetings was held at his house recently, and we all sat around for hours staring at this absolutely gorgeous tank. There was only one thing that bothered me about this tank. His yo-yo loaches relentlessly chased and nipped at his discus the whole time we were there. After seeing that, I decided that yo-yo's would not make good tank mates with discus. It looked like those police chases you see in the movies and I can't help but think that stress would eventually take it's toll on the discus.

crazie.eddie
09-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I have clown loaches that would often try to shoal along with my angelfish before. The angels didn't like it becuase they thought they were just being chased. Sometimes my clowns would come up to the angel or discus, but never really did anything. Probably just to say hello.

Marinemom
09-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the info. on the Yo-Yo loaches. I will keep that in mind for my next setup.

Diane

lhforbes12
09-16-2006, 02:16 AM
I would have to agree with Tim and Mench, I think you're a bit over stocked already Diane.
Like Ed, I have clown loaches with some of my discus, they are fine together. The clown loaches do have a tendency to just push whoever is in their way though, they're like "Coming through, step aside, get outta way" other than that have have been very peaceful, and of course, no snails in that tank. I have 6 clown loaches in the 125, and other than acting like a freight train at times they are wonderful, they are actually some of my favorites.

kjmillerfw
09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I kept clown loaches and discus together for years and never had a problem with them either. The clowns tend to get a little bit active at night when the discus are zoned out, but my discus learned to tune them out.

I never saw any of my clowns chasing and/or nipping at discus like these yo-yo's were.

pcsb23
09-16-2006, 01:41 PM
I kept clown loaches and discus together for years and never had a problem with them either. The clowns tend to get a little bit active at night when the discus are zoned out, but my discus learned to tune them out.

I never saw any of my clowns chasing and/or nipping at discus like these yo-yo's were.
Kathy, its quite funny really, I have had the opposite, ie the yo-yo's were fine and peacefull but have had clowns nipping at the discus. I've got clowns only at the moment and this bunch are fine.

swinters66
09-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Yo-yos are too cute! I think I like them more than clown loaches. I hope you get to get some yo-yos Diane!!

AmberC
09-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I had 4 yoyo loaches in with my discus. I dont have the discus anymore, but now I have angels in with the loaches and I added 4 more recently so I have 8 yoyo's in there. I have found that as the yoyos are getting bigger and since I added more.. they are getting quite aggressive! They chase my angels all around the tank. I may have to take them out. This is just my experience with them so far tho.

Marinemom
09-16-2006, 06:45 PM
So I'm starting my search for a bigger tank. So far, I have seen a 180 that I like and a 210 gallon. I'm not in a big hurry because I have to sell my piano that no one ever uses anymore before I will have the room for a bigger tank. Another thing holding me back is the price of the total setup for my discus which will of course be quite expensive. So I think I can handle some kind of loache or loaches with the discus in a bigger tank. How many discus including the four I have in my 46 do you think I can have in a 180-210 gallon aquarium?How many loaches?

Diane

Marinemom
09-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry for the triple post. It did not want to work.

Diane

swinters66
09-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Yep I did the same thing Diane....had that 30 gallon and thought "Ok this tank is gonna be too small!!"

Youll find the bigger tank you want, you'll see. I wasn't even really looking for a bigger tank, just knew I was going to need one, and I found the 58 gallon! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!! ;)

lhforbes12
09-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Yo-yos are too cute! I think I like them more than clown loaches. I hope you get to get some yo-yos Diane!!

Stephanie,
Say it ain't so!

swinters66
09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Has my morning coffee kicked in yet?? :coffee: It IS so I tell ya!